Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Woman says Air Canada unfairly kicked her off plane

Woman says Air Canada unfairly kicked her off plane

Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Air Canada's management doesn't seem to care about the attitude of their agents and flight attendants.
How do you jump to that conclusion? Do you know what happened, internally, as a result of this event? Isn't it equally likely that Jazz made an error hiring this person, or, perhaps, we are missing some of the facts from this event?

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Oct 13, 2018 at 10:33 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
How do you jump to that conclusion? Do you know what happened, internally, as a result of this event? Isn't it equally likely that Jazz made an error hiring this person, or, perhaps, we are missing some of the facts from this event?
We know they issued her a letter with claims that the police did not find to be plausible. They blamed the passenger, not the FA, in fairly clear language. That appears to have been the initial "internal" response anyway.

That said, is it unreasonable to suggest that a company led by a CEO who stated that cheap passengers need to be "educated" on why they're being served up FR-esque products at mainline prices, doesn't really give much thought to FA service attitudes in Y? Huge diversion bill notwithstanding?

I have had great AC crews, and not so good ones in Y. Their attitude seems to be a reflection of their own personal values, or else it would be a lot more uniform.

I have no doubt that if this happened in J, each and every AC FA would have taken the garbage and resolved the issue. Would each and everyone do the same thing in Y? This incident notwithstanding, I am not convinced they all would. Some definitely would. Others would not.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yulred

We know they issued her a letter with claims that the police did not find to be plausible. They blamed the passenger, not the FA, in fairly clear language. That appears to have been the initial "internal" response anyway.

That said, is it unreasonable to suggest that a company led by a CEO who stated that cheap passengers need to be "educated" on why they're being served up FR-esque products at mainline prices, doesn't really give much thought to FA service attitudes in Y? Huge diversion bill notwithstanding?

I have had great AC crews, and not so good ones in Y. Their attitude seems to be a reflection of their own personal values, or else it would be a lot more uniform.

I have no doubt that if this happened in J, each and every AC FA would have taken the garbage and resolved the issue. Would each and everyone do the same thing in Y? This incident notwithstanding, I am not convinced they all would. Some definitely would. Others would not.
Well, to answer your question, I have never had an FA on a turboprop (no J available) refuse to take garbage. A couple of points do come to mind, though:
1) We saw a specific excerpt from a letter. We don't know what the rest of the letter said. That is, of course, unless I missed something.
2) I have never attempted to throw garbage onto a food cart. If there was a container on top, it was probably the ice container.
3) Jazz has gone through a major FA hiring spree. I had an FA a couple of weeks ago, who didn't represent her brand very well. I suspect that Jazz has made some hiring errors, and it will take some time to correct the errors.
WR Cage likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
because I haven't read any reports of AC staff being fired or reprimanded for the many similar incidents which are routinely reported by the CBC
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

because I haven't read any reports of AC staff being fired or reprimanded for the many similar incidents which are routinely reported by the CBC
Where do you suppose that would be posted? Perhaps a public flogging would be good.
beep88 and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: air miles
Wouldnt opening her eyes and speaking to a member of the crew have de escalated the situation rather that pouting and ignoring the crew?

yes garbage left on a plane is wrong. Yes the fa overreacted. Playing the i cant hear you game surely made the situation worse, no?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj
Bad passenger or power tripping FA? Some of both?

We never get the whole story in these situations, though the third party witness certainly helps.
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Wouldnt opening her eyes and speaking to a member of the crew have de escalated the situation rather that pouting and ignoring the crew?

yes garbage left on a plane is wrong. Yes the fa overreacted. Playing the i cant hear you game surely made the situation worse, no?
In her defense... she did speak to a member of the crew, that was how the whole thing started... and she was essentially told to _ off.

So ... yeah, I agree that communication would have been better ... but for the FA to recognize that they were in a customer service job would also have been a grand contribution.
Fizzer and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 18, 2018 at 11:51 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
In her defense... she did speak to a member of the crew, that was how the whole thing started... and she was essentially told to _ off.
She went from a position to agree to disagree over the job description of a FA to a risk to herself and the aircraft when she refused to engage with the crew.

Which is the problem. She thinks the crew are waiters. (Which they mostly are) and can be ignored and dismissed as one would a waiter.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
She went from a position to agree to disagree over the job description of a FA to a risk to herself and the aircraft when she refused to engage with the crew.

Which is the problem. She thinks the crew are waiters. (Which they mostly are) and can be ignored and dismissed as one would a waiter.
Interesting point about how we perceive FAs. Should we view them as airborne cops? Is their authority limited to safety issues only? How much power should they have to dictate terms to pax on non-safety or non-criminal
issues?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.