Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Woman says Air Canada unfairly kicked her off plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman says Air Canada unfairly kicked her off plane

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:11 am

AC pax need to accept that they do not pay enough to expect clean planes.

Seriously though, never understood AC's reluctance to invest more in cabin cleanliness. Bit penny-wise, pound foolish.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:07 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by yulred
AC pax need to accept that they do not pay enough to expect clean planes.

Seriously though, never understood AC's reluctance to invest more in cabin cleanliness. Bit penny-wise, pound foolish.
They seem to have gone to the same cleaning school as BA, only other airline I fly that is comparably filthy.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I've flown YYZ-YSJ before - technically, this is a Jazz flight. Not that it matters that much from a PR standpoint...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by vernonc
Watch the videos (plural). She did ask the FA to take the garbage and he refused because he is a FA and not a garbage collector. Both the passenger and witness reported the same thing.
I would guess they wanted to talk to her to get her to apologize - since she refused to communicate with them, they turned the plane around. A frail grandmother getting a plane turned around because she was a risk to the safety and security of the plane/crew/pax over garbage cleanup. C'mon. This is going to get tossed in AC's lap soon as its hits a court....
Take a look at 4:02 on the first video, it shows the letter that AC Corp security had sent her. Couple of points from the letter, (a) pax was argumentative the whole flight, (b) pax refused to deplane once it landed in YYZ. Elsewhere it was mentioned the pax had miss-connected the night before and had to overnight at a hotel in YYZ. Guesstimate on my part, the pax was probably triggered by the miss-connect and then enraged at the garbage being in the seat back pocket.

I fully support the pax up to the point where she and her husband refused to talk with the F/A's. Further once on the ground the pax refused to deplane, something that never ends well for the pax.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being that this is like the 20th story about AC cabin crew using the rules like entitled hall monitors in middle school, I've given up even hearing AC's explanations and rationalizations. Even if they all work at the airport....
KenHamer likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Take a look at 4:02 on the first video, it shows the letter that AC Corp security had sent her. Couple of points from the letter, (a) pax was argumentative the whole flight, (b) pax refused to deplane once it landed in YYZ. Elsewhere it was mentioned the pax had miss-connected the night before and had to overnight at a hotel in YYZ. Guesstimate on my part, the pax was probably triggered by the miss-connect and then enraged at the garbage being in the seat back pocket.

I fully support the pax up to the point where she and her husband refused to talk with the F/A's. Further once on the ground the pax refused to deplane, something that never ends well for the pax.
Thats the first time I've heard of a passenger who has managed to argue with an FA for an entire flight while simultaneously refusing to speak to them. She also managed to kick an FA without committing a criminal offence. Quite the magician.

Whether she misconnected or not is a red herring. If there was no wet garbage in her seat pocket, there would be no incident here. The deplaning issue is also secondary. She never did anything that affects anyone's safety. Even the cops weren't bothered.

All of this could have been avoided if AC bothered to do a better job cleaning its planes. After all, it begs the question: how would other 4* airlines have handled this situation?

Loren Pechtel and vernonc like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Take a look at 4:02 on the first video, it shows the letter that AC Corp security had sent her. Couple of points from the letter, (a) pax was argumentative the whole flight.
A contention along with an alleged kicking of the FA that wasn't supported by the eyewitness. AC's side of the story seems very far from what actually happened as told by two complete strangers.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
"North America's best airline" my you know what. First we almost cause the worst catastrophe in aviation by landing on a taxiway and then we bully and kick off grandma.

Air Canada makes airlines like Spirit & Allegiant look like Singapore Airlines.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I'm trying not to take sides here since there is only one side of the story (although corroborated by a witness) - but I'm assuming the garbage was found during boarding, when she tried to stow her water bottle into the seatback pocket? If the FA refused to take the garbage during boarding, couldn't she have thrown it away in the lav, or just left the garbage in the pocket?

And if it was wet garbage, why would you even want to stow your water bottle in the seat back pocket after discovering it?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
I'm trying not to take sides here since there is only one side of the story (although corroborated by a witness) - but I'm assuming the garbage was found during boarding, when she tried to stow her water bottle into the seatback pocket? If the FA refused to take the garbage during boarding, couldn't she have thrown it away in the lav, or just left the garbage in the pocket?

And if it was wet garbage, why would you even want to stow your water bottle in the seat back pocket after discovering it?
Why is it that the passenger is required to clean the plane ? Or sit with garbage in front of you for the entire flight ?
AleEat, bawm, MSPeconomist and 2 others like this.

Last edited by vernonc; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:04 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

How could she refuse to deplane when the police boarded the plane along with AC ground staff on arrival ? Seems like the cops even bought her a cup of tea after deplaning and refused to file any charges.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
Being that this is like the 20th story about AC cabin crew using the rules like entitled hall monitors in middle school, I've given up even hearing AC's explanations and rationalizations. Even if they all work at the airport....
This should/could have been de-escalated way before any sort of diversion happened.

Having said that, from the employer's (and pilot's) perspective health and safety regulations in Canada are now at the point where if an employee feels "harassed" and the employer fails to react, they can land into big doodoo. Thus once the FA tells the pilot she feels harassed or endangered, the pilot has a legal obligation to deal with the issue. Easiest way to deal with it is land at the nearest airport and dump granny - to heck with the bad publicity.
tcook052 and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
I wonder if Gabor asks for a cut of any compensation? Would seem like a big racket to me!
Not sure why that matters and why it would be considered a big racket. Does not seem like anyone else (maybe CBC, Global) are doing much for air travelers. Even the passenger bill of rights is likely to be watered down after airline lobbying. One may not like his style but he does bring attention and from what I can tell, seems generally successful in pursuing claims for passengers. Even seems to have some wins in court.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by The Lev
This should/could have been de-escalated way before any sort of diversion happened.

Having said that, from the employer's (and pilot's) perspective health and safety regulations in Canada are now at the point where if an employee feels "harassed" and the employer fails to react, they can land into big doodoo. Thus once the FA tells the pilot she feels harassed or endangered, the pilot has a legal obligation to deal with the issue. Easiest way to deal with it is land at the nearest airport and dump granny - to heck with the bad publicity.
You see, this is why I'm a FOTSG. I wouldn't want my grandma to be subjected to this!
vernonc, jasdou and smallmj like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The FA should be terminated for falsely stating to the pilot that they were assaulted.
Public mischief
  • 140 (1) Every one commits public mischief who, with intent to mislead, causes a peace officer to enter on or continue an investigation by
    • (a) making a false statement that accuses some other person of having committed an offence;
    • (b) doing anything intended to cause some other person to be suspected of having committed an offence that the other person has not committed, or to divert suspicion from himself;
    • (c) reporting that an offence has been committed when it has not been committed; or
    • (d) reporting or in any other way making it known or causing it to be made known that he or some other person has died when he or that other person has not died.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.