Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to drop Harrisburg, Rochester and Syracuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

FlightGlobal - Oct 3, 2018

Air Canada to drop three US cities

Full article: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...cities-452386/

QUOTE:

"Air Canada will end service to the US cities of Harrisburg, Rochester and Syracuse, effective 1 November, the airlines confirms.

"We adjusted our schedule to suspend flying to Syracuse, Rochester and Harrisburg due to the economic performance of these routes," Air Canada tells FlightGlobal. "
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
FlightGlobal - Oct 3, 2018

Air Canada to drop three US cities

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...cities-452386/

QUOTE:

"Air Canada will end service to the US cities of Harrisburg, Rochester and Syracuse, effective 1 November, the airlines confirms.

"We adjusted our schedule to suspend flying to Syracuse, Rochester and Harrisburg due to the economic performance of these routes," Air Canada tells FlightGlobal. "
Interesting.

In the early 2000s AC had served AVP which included MDT-bound traffic and when government business started picking up at MDT they added the (new?) route with BEHs and eventually some DH1s mixed in there in the early/mid-2000s (2003-2005, IIRC)... and around 2004 MDT got their brand-spanking new airport to boot, so it was quite nice flying in and out... oh well.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I know some people at work that won't be upset about a few less BEHs flying around
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM

IDK, maybe if they wouldn't have charged $700 for a 100-mile hop from YYZ-ROC, they might have managed to sell more seats on those little planes?

I know, surely there's more to the economics of the route than that, but I still find it comical that it was often half that price for UA to fly me to ROC, sometimes via a 3- or 4- segment tour of the northeastern US to boot.
Larrude and SK like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by shadowspar
IDK, maybe if they wouldn't have charged $700 for a 100-mile hop from YYZ-ROC, they might have managed to sell more seats on those little planes?

I know, surely there's more to the economics of the route than that, but I still find it comical that it was often half that price for UA to fly me to ROC, sometimes via a 3- or 4- segment tour of the northeastern US to boot.

QUOTE from article I posted:

"In place of direct flights, Air Canada is selling itineraries to Syracuse and Rochester that involve connections in Chicago via its codeshare with United Airlines, its website shows."

Other quotes:

"Executives at the carrier have talked recently of expanding their agreement with United, including a potential immunised joint venture that would allow them to coordinate service between Canada and the USA.

Air Canada has grown rapidly to the USA in recent years, in a bid to carry more US travelers to overseas destinations via its Canadian hubs."
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
QUOTE from article I posted:

"In place of direct flights, Air Canada is selling itineraries to Syracuse and Rochester that involve connections in Chicago via its codeshare with United Airlines, its website shows."

Other quotes:

"Executives at the carrier have talked recently of expanding their agreement with United, including a potential immunised joint venture that would allow them to coordinate service between Canada and the USA.

Air Canada has grown rapidly to the USA in recent years, in a bid to carry more US travelers to overseas destinations via its Canadian hubs."
I haven't checked the current UA routes but 15 years ago, in addition to the direct non-stop YYZMDT that AC offered, one could also use UA (if we're sticking to *A) and do YYZORDMDT or YYZIADMDT... and when US was in *A briefly, one could also do YYZPITMDT or YYZPHLMDT, and even YYZCLTMDT.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Air Georgian closing its YYZ B1900 base, and the YGK and YZR flights will be operated by Jazz Dash 8s. Question is were these routes no longer profitable, or did AC want to get the GGN Beechcraft out of the YYZ hub?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Air Georgian closing its YYZ B1900 base, and the YGK and YZR flights will be operated by Jazz Dash 8s. Question is were these routes no longer profitable, or did AC want to get the GGN Beechcraft out of the YYZ hub?
The article says:

Originally Posted by flightglobal article
We adjusted our schedule to suspend flying to Syracuse, Rochester and Harrisburg due to the economic performance of these routes," Air Canada tells FlightGlobal.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
a peak season loss of 54 seats a day for MDT-YYZ. At $550 one way or 8000 Aeroplan points, Aeroplan was always a good deal.

MDT is now served by Frontier as well.. Fly to DEN for $19, Florids for $25. And at those prices Frontier always has restrooms on the plane. The B1900s are a gamble if they have a restroom (even from the longer MDT route). The "AC" B1900s haven't appeared in their fleet listing and repainted without AC logos for quite a while.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
a peak season loss of 54 seats a day for MDT-YYZ. At $550 one way or 8000 Aeroplan points, Aeroplan was always a good deal.

MDT is now served by Frontier as well.. Fly to DEN for $19, Florids for $25. And at those prices Frontier always has restrooms on the plane. The B1900s are a gamble if they have a restroom (even from the longer MDT route). The "AC" B1900s haven't appeared in their fleet listing and repainted without AC logos for quite a while.
If you're referring to the "AC" BEHs, they all had restrooms at the very back, with a toilet but no sink - just hand sanitizer. (Unless that changed since the mid-2000s... I did 100+ flights per year for several years on AC BEHs per year and every flight had a lav at the back. )

Last edited by yyznomad; Oct 2, 2018 at 6:48 pm Reason: Added per year
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: U1K
Recently (well I guess at least a year now) AC had them remove all of the AC markings and Logos off of the B1900s. So one could see the "Writing taken off the wall????" that they wanted those out.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWisHome
Recently (well I guess at least a year now) AC had them remove all of the AC markings and Logos off of the B1900s. So one could see the "Writing taken off the wall????" that they wanted those out.
IIRC there was a related thread to what you're alluding to, but the below was what I could find so far...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...al-report.html

Air Georgian - no planes , no pilots

Air Georgian Safety Issues National Post article

Is Air Georgian ruining ACs reputation?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
My 8-12 annual trips to York, PA just got more annoying.

IAD/BWI and a long drive I guess. Sigh.

To be fair, the MDT-YYZ flight was a virtual lock for delays/cancellations from November-May. Maybe now I'll actually be able to get out of there.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
My 8-12 annual trips to York, PA just got more annoying.

IAD/BWI and a long drive I guess. Sigh.

To be fair, the MDT-YYZ flight was a virtual lock for delays/cancellations from November-May. Maybe now I'll actually be able to get out of there.
I used to often drive to/from/flew out of PHL/IAD/BWI instead of flying into/out of MDT... at least the drives are somewhat scenic, but can get old fast.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Where will the YYZ based BEHs go? Are they going to be transferred to the YYC base or retired altogether? Or maybe EVAS will take them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.