Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AirCanada misrepresenting fare class to *A partner programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AirCanada misrepresenting fare class to *A partner programs?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG USER

AC not awarding mileage due to booking in Standard branded fare category however OP’s FFP has chart that awards based on fare class, and OP isn’t getting his miles.
Looks like an incompatibility between AC fares and the way fare classes are implemented in other FF programs. Which are not equipped to deal with these fares, and potentially are not equipped or don't care for properly informing their members that these only get whatever they get. Which (obviously?) should not be more when credited to other FFPs than when credited to Aeroplan one would think.

The quoted answer from United, above, makes lots of sense.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles

OP simply crediting to another FFP.
@YEG USER
thanks for the clarification...on 2nd leg of RTW so jet-lag might cause missing these details.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
How did things get so complicated? The devil is in the details and this is a perfect example. And details are hard to come by. Imagine regular folks who can barely understand what a fare code is, never mind getting down to fare basis WFLA21TG or WFLA21FL. Thanks to this branded fare business, W is not a W is not a W. AC should just go back to have distinct and non-overlapping fare class for earning and non-earning tickets. Problem solved. Two months after branded fares were introduced, my corporate TAs (who does this for a living) don't even understand the importance and nuance of fare basis, they are still running off of the first letter of the fare code and telling me "don't worry, you will get your miles". Until there is a fix, AC should implement a feature, like AA, when booking a ticket online, you can enter your FFP during the booking process, and it will show exactly the mileage you will earn for the ticket. No more guessing of how the AC fare basis will get mapped to a different FFP.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
How did things get so complicated? The devil is in the details and this is a perfect example. And details are hard to come by. Imagine regular folks who can barely understand what a fare code is, never mind getting down to fare basis WFLA21TG or WFLA21FL. Thanks to this branded fare business, W is not a W is not a W. AC should just go back to have distinct and non-overlapping fare class for earning and non-earning tickets. Problem solved. Two months after branded fares were introduced, my corporate TAs (who does this for a living) don't even understand the importance and nuance of fare basis, they are still running off of the first letter of the fare code and telling me "don't worry, you will get your miles". Until there is a fix, AC should implement a feature, like AA, when booking a ticket online, you can enter your FFP during the booking process, and it will show exactly the mileage you will earn for the ticket. No more guessing of how the AC fare basis will get mapped to a different FFP.
No - I like branded fares. I can get a comfort fare earning 115% for less than I used to have to pay for Flex.

As for your TA, if they don’t know what a fare basis is, then they are incompetent. That’s ticket pricing 101.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:53 pm

This is further complicated by a mix of Standard and Flex segments on the same oneway itinerary.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by D582
As for your TA, if they don’t know what a fare basis is, then they are incompetent. That’s ticket pricing 101.
From reading this forum, it sounds like an incompetent corporate TA is not an unusual problem.
RangerNS and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Don't blame your customers who pay your bills for your (AC) own incompetence and for making things more complicated.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Looks like an incompatibility between AC fares and the way fare classes are implemented in other FF programs.
That would be no excuse for Air Canada to report a flight as T-class when it wasn't T.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
That would be no excuse for Air Canada to report a flight as T-class when it wasn't T.
Unless AC is reporting it as the branded fare TG (legacy Tango) and the *A FFP is interpreting that as T-class.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:27 am

Unless AC is reporting it as the branded fare TG (legacy Tango) and the *A FFP is interpreting that as T-class.
All AC needs to do is put a note up front saying Basic fares will be classed as T (and I'm assuming K on intl) on all *A FFPs.

Basic/light fares are not new in *A FFPs. However, to my knowledge, no other airline has ever had this issue. What they advertise is what they sell - even on HBO fares. That suggests that this is an AC issue, and while we can blame other *A FFPs till the cows come home, it begs the question: "why is this only happening with AC?"

That said, it falls on the more acceptable side of the AC's corner cutting corporate culture spectrum - certainly a lot less concerning than pilot fatigue and cabin cleanliness. I'm surprised they haven't taken away meals on intl flights yet. That'll save them even more.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by yulred

I'm surprised they haven't taken away meals on intl flights yet. That'll save them even more.
Ssh don't give them any ideas!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:52 pm

any updates on this? i had to escalate with Asiana as AC is representing my bookings as T fare also. I have emailed star alliance and even advised as that this is a wider-spread issue.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish M&S; Air Canada Aeroplan
I too am interested to hear if anyone have any luck on this issue. So far Turkish has not been able to help (and AC refuse to deal with or even acknowledge the problem).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect this one will take a long time to get fixed...

Key point: one would imagine AC is not terribly interested in giving more miles for lower fares to other FFPs than the Aeroplan equivalent.

One would imagine (or at least hope) that they did inform the various partners. Who should then go on and publish the new rules.

But are these partners equipped to deal with these? If their system is strictly based upon the booking code, likely not. So are they going to introduce major changes just to cater to their half dozen members who fly AC once on a blue moon? Likewise, I don't see AC doing the work for them.

Bottom line, no one is particularly great need to care. Just find some workaround that 95% of the folks will take as is, and with the die hard complainers, playing the blame game is easy. Just make the thing into a zero miles bin.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:33 pm

I suggest everyone bombards STAR ALLIANCE with this. social media/email/contact. only they can move AC to fix issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.