Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Confirmed indirect route eUpgrade -- Standby for non-stop flight?

Question: Confirmed indirect route eUpgrade -- Standby for non-stop flight?

Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k
Confirmed indirect route eUpgrade -- Standby for non-stop flight?

Hi... I was hoping that somebody here could answer a question that I couldn't find the answer to despite some intensive Googling.

For a trip later this year, I've secured a confirmed eUpgrade to J on LHR-YUL-YYZ based on a Latitude (B) fare. I did the indirect routing as all the LHR-YYZ flights that day didn't have any P space available, and I didn't fancy taking any chances with the waitlist. My question is this: on the day of the flight, am I allowed to try to standby on one of the non-stop LHR-YYZ flights in J? If it matters, I should be E75k by then (depending on sweep timing) -- and that trip will get me to SE. Also, the outbound leg will be in restricted business (P fare); I raise that as I had an agent tell me last week that the most restrictive rules count on all segments for an international itinerary (is this true?).

Thank you!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
I raise that as I had an agent tell me last week that the most restrictive rules count on all segments for an international itinerary (is this true?).
Basically, yes.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Sometimes, the app/checkin will let you standby early ( I don't know if those rules apply for Int'ls) since it will see you in J (regardless of fare)

If you can do that and get yourself on the list, it should bring you over in J...

technically
SuperCargo likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Basically, yes.
OK, thanks for that. So it basically makes no sense to combine a restricted leg and a flexible leg on a single ticket then, unless you're looking to eUpgrade the flexible leg like I did. Being a Latitude fare, I was hoping that I could change the inbound leg for free if circumstances changed (even if it meant giving up the upgrade). Good to know for future trips!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
OK, thanks for that. So it basically makes no sense to combine a restricted leg and a flexible leg on a single ticket then, unless you're looking to eUpgrade the flexible leg like I did. Being a Latitude fare, I was hoping that I could change the inbound leg for free if circumstances changed (even if it meant giving up the upgrade). Good to know for future trips!
Yeah, pretty much.

If you're doing Latitude fares more often to Europe, you might want to consider the Europe Latitude FPs. I love them. Lets you do one way bookings without hassle as well.
SuperCargo and BlondeBomber like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm not sure whether the most restrictive rule applies to SDCs as well. But even if it does, many business class fares allow free SDC. So there's no harm in asking to do SDC to the direct rather than just standby. I successfully SDCed a LHR-YVR-YYC to direct LHR-YYC last year on a P fare, or maybe Z.
SuperCargo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.