Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

First world problems: 2 SE, same PNR, AE booking, and fun

Old Sep 26, 18, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Here’s the story.

MrsITAG and I are both SE, I’m also MM. So I usually trump her in status. It provides for good fun with upgrade lists, etc.

We booked a return flight on Aeroplan, using MrsITAG’s points, YYZ-YUL.. We used a Priority Reward to do so, in X (economy)

Some observations along the way

- there seems to be no way in hell for me to add my SE number to the record. They refuse to do so, or say they can’t, despite their exhortations to ‘always add your Aeroplan number to your file’. Nope, aint’ gonna happen. Apprently the only person who can have an AE number on an AE reward is the person booking it. So if you have status - you don’t!

- obviously, her SE number is on the record attached to her name. I would like mine on there in case of IRROPS, etc

- we request an upgrade, and the request is waitlisted. No big deal

- but she can see the Upgrade list upon checkin ; I cannot in my Mobile app. (because, I presume, the flight is not linked to my number in the Mobile app, because I don’t exist?) So I have to bug her for her phone, to track progress < 24 hrs. She doesn’t understand. “Chill”.

- for our real flight, on the Upgrade list, she moves to the top of the list on checkin, I’m at #7. Again, because I don’t exist because I don’t have my SE number attached to the record. I’d usually be ahead of her. But 7?

- we also decide to standby for the earlier flight. For some reason, it wouldn’t let me do this; we had to phone the Concierge. Quirk.

- more fun. On the standby list for the flight 1 hour ahead of us - she is at #1 on Standby for economy; I am at #17. She is at #3 for an upgrade. I’m at #11. (It doesn’t really matter, it’s a 1 hour flight, but I am fascinated by the complexity)

- standby’s clear for the earlier flight. She gets it, with an upgrade to J; I don’t even make the flight since I am so far down the standby list. We are on the same PNR, mind you

At the end fo the day, we went to the Concierge ; she did what they do and got me onto the last J spot on the flight.

Splitting travellers on the same PNR.

But what a bunch of silliness...

Of course, the way to deal with this in the future would be for each of us to book our own Aeroplan ticket separately, which would get our SE number on each of our tickets. But this was a Priority Reward for a 1 way flight - why waste another Priority Reward to do that?

All in all, it doesn’t much matter for a short flight, and MrsITAG certainly had a lot of fun with my new no-status. But it would certainly be frustrating if we hit IRROPS etc, since I could see it unfolding that she’d get access to rebooking on flights, and not me. And particularly if this was a long haul flight.

Any suggestions for future deployments?
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Did you try this:

"I'm being denied status benefits because my Aeroplan number is not on this PNR. I was told to ask for you to delete the FQTR field, then add my number into the FQTV field."
Bohemian1, jc94 and Diabeetus like this.
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy View Post

- there seems to be no way in hell for me to add my SE number to the record. They refuse to do so, or say they can’t, despite their exhortations to ‘always add your Aeroplan number to your file’. Nope, aint’ gonna happen. Apprently the only person who can have an AE number on an AE reward is the person booking it. So if you have status - you don’t!
We feel your pain... Knowledgeable agents have added the AP number before for BPs not booked under the account owner/redeemer, but not many agents are knowledgeable regarding this. It can be done, and you won't get AQM for it (that is the main concern of employees, IIRC).

And this is FT... everything is FWP!
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Quite a bit of silliness there.

I've had other issues due to missing Aeroplan #'s on file with AP rewards. My wife's name conflicts with someone who is DHP, so unless her Aeroplan # is on file she cannot check in and has to see an agent. An Aeroplan award booked from her account works fine, but does not work when booked from my account (IKK). I've just resorted to emailing the Concierge to help with adding her # to the file (mixed results, but usually after a few emails can get it done).

It should be easier to do this.
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
We feel your pain... Knowledgeable agents have added the AP number before for BPs not booked under the account owner/redeemer, but not many agents are knowledgeable regarding this. It can be done, and you won't get AQM for it (that is the main concern of employees, IIRC).

And this is FT... everything is FWP!
Good to know.

I was specifically told by the YUL Concierge that she could not add the AE number to the booking, because otherwise I would get points.

I almost rolled my eyes at that point. If a Concierge is clueless..... we are doomed.
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Good to know.

I was specifically told by the YUL Concierge that she could not add the AE number to the booking, because otherwise I would get points.

I almost rolled my eyes at that point. If a Concierge is clueless..... we are doomed.
There are some intermittent past posts about doing the FQTR/FQTV thing here on FT... but they are scattered. IIRC, there might have been one thread where AC stated on their website that this was now possible but then they later pulled that statement from the website when, I suspect, that people were calling them out on it.

Regarding the concierge, don't forget that there is a new hire cohort from the past couple of years... From my own experiences, I've had much better success with the more experienced ones over the past couple of years. I'm not saying this was your case, but something to keep in mind. (And I'm not saying that the new hires are incompetent either)
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Silver)
Maybe I am misunderstanding the issue here, but FWIW my recent experience:

Flight 1, YWG-YYC booked with Ms SWMBO Stanbury's stash of points. I am the only passenger on the PNR. Her AE number is on my file, and I cannot edit it. However, at online check in I see her AE number, I click on it, I am allowed to edit it, I do so, and I get my Elite50K MM privileges (which amount to zone 2 boarding -- useful as it was a Q400).

Flight 2, YYC-YWG, again booked with Ms SWMBO Stanbury's points, travelling together, on same PNR. Again, I can do nothing until online check-in, at which time there is a blank in my AE number field which I can edit to contain my AE number. Again I get zone 2. And as an aside, we had no problem each checking a bag for free.

Sorry if this is irrelevant to the discussion, but it seems to run counter to what others are experiencing and reflects what I have/have not been able to do each time I use her points ...

... which I do as mine have been essentially -- and wisely I think -- depleted with a number (8 or so) of recent TATL BIZ flights -- but that's another topic.
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
Did you try this:

"I'm being denied status benefits because my Aeroplan number is not on this PNR. I was told to ask for you to delete the FQTR field, then add my number into the FQTV field."
I will try that!
Old Sep 26, 18, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I will try that!
Thanks to Canadian Cow for the wording! It has worked for me.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Sep 26, 18, 3:15 pm

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
Did you try this:

They're not supposed to do this.

Only 1 FQTR on the PNR. And the PNR cannot have both an FQTV and FQTR SSR field.
Old Sep 26, 18, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
I have not had any issues with this in a year or so.

This past weekend, one PNR, we had no issue getting AmericanBovine's E75K on his BPs, even though it was booked out of my account.

Nothing can be done until check-in, but once you reach that point, there should be no issue.
Old Sep 26, 18, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post

Nothing can be done until check-in, but once you reach that point, there should be no issue.
YUL Concierge told me it could not be done. We were already checked in at that point.

So frustrating.

We have YYZ-LHR return in November (burn down points!). AE is on my account, so it will reversed ... will re-explore then.
Old Sep 26, 18, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
You can do it in OLCI even after checking in.
Old Sep 26, 18, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You can do it in OLCI even after checking in.
It did not give me that option. Believe me, I checked.
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Further to this issue, is there a way to add the second pax's AE# to a reward ticket that is not completely on AC?

Here are the details of my situation:

Spouse and I are both SE100K. We plan to book an AE reward trip for next year; routing will most likely be YYC-LAX-NRT, KIX-LAX-YYC (or something similar). Based on the itineraries I've found so far, the YYC-LAX legs will be on AC, and LAX-NRT, KIX-LAX legs will be on Asiana (F if we can get it). The tickets will be booked using my AE miles, so there will be no problem with my SE/*G status showing up in on the PNR/BP, but her status obviously won't.

For the outbound YYC-LAX-NRT: I know from experience that we can use the online check-in process to add her AE# to the PNR before the outgoing trip, and it will show on the AC leg (YYC-LAX). But will it carry through onto the Asiana leg (LAX-NRT)?

For the return KIX-LAX-YYC: Normally for return trips on AC we would just repeat the online check-in trick to put her status on the PNR, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do that in this case, since we'll be checking in via Asiana. Is there a way we can get her status added to the return leg so Asiana recognizes it?

(I realize we wouldn't have this problem if we booked separate, identical reward tickets...but she doesn't (and won't) have enough points in her account to do that.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: