Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Asking for Permanent Resident Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Asking for Permanent Resident Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

I am a British citizen visiting Canada.

I have a current eTA but the check in only asks for a permanent residence card which I obviously don't have.

I can't bypass the question and Air Canada's helpline were not helpful (ie no idea, "wait till you are at airport).

Anyone else had this issue?

Last edited by mummum601; Sep 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd be tempted to go into APIS, delete everything, save, and try checking in again.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by mummum601
I am a British citizen visiting Canada.

I have a current eTA but the check in only asks for a permanent residence card which I obviously don't have.

I can't bypass the question and Air Canada's helpline were not helpful (ie no idea, "wait till you are at airport).

Anyone else had this issue?
Is the eTA definitely linked to your current passport? Is your passport information correct in APIS?

I do get the PR card info, but my friends and family haven't had issues. If you can't get it done online, I would recommend getting to the airport at least 3h before the flight and take a printed copy of the eTA confirmation with you. And if you don't currently have a seat, go into manage my booking and pick one which should be free regardless of fare class (possibly excepting Basic) as you are presumably < t-24 if attempting OLCI.

Edit - I see cow and I replied at the same time. If that advice doesn't work also try the website and the app. If using the website, use Chrome Incognito mode.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses.

Sorry APIS?

On check in all info is correct.

This question is really for my parents, they have used the eTA and their passports together before, the only thing that is different is the email given for confirmation by Air Canada which I'm sure is not linking to the eTA.
The real problem is that the web check in is asking for a Permanent Residence Card details only, no other options, and entering the eTA info in lieu of a PR doesn't work.

I have told them not to worry (I'm in Canada they are in UK) but deal with it at the airport, but my Mum is a nervous flyer at best and I though if I could get a nice neat answer I might be able to calm her down!

Thanks again
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by mummum601
Sorry APIS?
Advanced Passenger Information System. i.e. the personal information that you have entered in the booking, such as passport number date of birth etc.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:39 pm

APIS is here - https://res.aircanada.ca/APIS/

You often need to login with "First Name" as your first name and middle name (if you have one) without a space. And it works about half the time. So keep re-trying.
Or just check them in yourself from here. I've done that for my parents (admittedly they were also here) before.

I don't believe the email matters. It should be linked to passport number.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:53 pm

I am having the exact same problem trying to check in for my parents for a flights to Montreal tomorrow. Have you figured out a solution? I also called Air Canada and the guy I spoke with was very vague and just kept presuming we had entered the info for the ETA incorrectly. This can't be the case as my Dad flew with his current ETA to Canada last year with no problems.

Have tried to access to Advanced Passenger Information System but can't update any details or see what details have been input as we are within 24hrs of the flight leaving.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:28 pm

Sounds like an AC IT issue......
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:04 pm

Where would you put eTA details in? It should just detect it automatically like the US ESTA.

I think the above may be correct, it might just be a marvellous AC IT issue affecting everyone today. It doesn't help, would mean the airports tomorrow will be more chaotic than normal if all eTA visitors are having to check in there.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all.

The system still insists on having permanent residence details with no option for anything else.

The eTA website was doing "system maintenance" this morning and is now "experiencing delays". So yes I'm assuming IT issues and chaos at Heathrow (and elsewhere) tomorrow as check in becomes old-style again!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:04 pm

Good luck to your parents, let us know how it goes.

And it it does turn out to be issues wth AC or the eTA setup please do let AC know about their unhelpful agents. You won’t get much if anything, but we have to continue hoping someone who cares will read about it and considering improving things.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
I'm confused. Your original post says it's asking for your PR card but subsequently you refer to the issue being for your parents travelling to visit you in Canada? Who is trying to check in - you or them?
A non-PR, British Citizen obviously won't have a PR card but will need an ETA. So, if I follow you, a UK PP holder is being directed to a check in field to enter PR number? That all sounds a bit random and obviously wrong. I'd certainly clear the check in session, clear cookies - perhaps use incognito mode so no details are carried forward - and try again. If it fails then suggest as others say, get your parents to the airport early to checkin manually.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Yes they are UK citizens flying from Heathrow to Calgary. They have flown with this combination of Passports and eTA before and everything is still in date.

The check in wants a permanent residence card number, no other choices and you can't move forward without it.

They've tried at their end, I've tried at my end, various browsers cookies deleted etc. As soon as you enter a booking ref all personal info; name, DOB, nationality, passport number etc comes up automatically and correctly ( supplied at time of booking) but there is no way to bypass/skip the permanent residence question page.

Air Canada "helpline" was useless just confirmed booking and advised wait till at airport. I will know tomorrow how much chaos this will cause at Heathrow as clearly they are not only ones.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:18 am

UPDATE

My parents arrived at Heathrow and were able to check in at the desk. There were a few other people in the line that had also experienced the same problem. The check in clerk did not know why it had happened so I presume it was just a technical glitch!
jc94 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by susiecook
UPDATE

My parents arrived at Heathrow and were able to check in at the desk. There were a few other people in the line that had also experienced the same problem. The check in clerk did not know why it had happened so I presume it was just a technical glitch!
Glad they got it sorted okay. Definitely suggest writing into AC about it to ensure they are aware. Just because we have non posting lurkers doesn’t mean they read or can action anything on here

Enjoy Monty’s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.