Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why Air Canada wine is globally sourced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Air Canada wine is globally sourced

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
For economy, I'd have to say it's almost certainly beyond what AC is willing to pay. From what I've seen most of the wines (Paul Mas) are from southern France (Languedoc region) which are known for bulk wine production more than quality. There is quality wine from there, but it's not going to be cheap. Bottega is low end prosecco (sparkling). That's why it's often used to make mimosa's and bellini's. But hey, to the general public, sparkles = champagne, which is not the case. Sparkles also = pop...

The reality is that Canada makes little wine in terms of global numbers. Part of it, is lack of vineyard acreage planted and the higher cost of labour. We're also a young wine growing region, even younger when it comes to growing real noble grapes (vitis vinifera) and not the baby duck junk.
Another factor (not to do with price so much) is that we as Canadians have a hard time supporting our own, until we have "acceptance" by others. This isn't exclusive to wines, but for MANY industries.
4 months ago I would disagree with you. However, having lived in the UK for several months, I get what you're saying. Liquor, and especially wine is cheap and plentiful here. When you can get a bottle of Rosé on Amazon for the same cost as a 6 pack of "domestic" beer, why bother with the beer. However, as you correctly noted the quality of said wines can vary a great deal. Anything below 5 quid is barely serviceable table wine. I can recall drinking an Italian wine a few months ago that came in tiny bottles called Peroni - absolutely disgusting taste, taste nothing of the wine one things of coming from Italy (or any other country for that matter). Aside from the cute tiny wine bottles they come in and cases they come in I don't see why people would plunk down such money for such plonk.

If we want to talk about numbers and statistics, then your intuition is correct. Per StatsCan domestic production totals about $1B annually, yet we import approximately $2B of wine with domestic penetration being only about a third. Compare that to the $8.7B in exports from Italy, and a staggering $19.4B in exports from France and one can clearly see that we're nowhere in the same league as those countries in spite of us being a bigger country than both combined (and have way more climates than theirs).Even in the United States, which has a sizeable wine market, they still import about a third of the wines they have. From that same report there is a lovely chart which shows US wine revenue by varietal and selling price:

As you can see the Bóxe wine and $8-$10 bottles of wine are where the bulk of the sales volume is being made. Not the 100 quid bottle of Dom or Krug (contrary to popular belief).

So to answer the question, "Why isn't AC's wine globally sourced?" It's probably because wine production in Canada is a myth. How can we compete with the volume the Italians or French put out year in and year out at the prices they set them at? And that's to say nothing of the prestige of saying, this wine is from the South of France versus this wine comes from the back streets of Hamilton . I suspect that if Québec had a thriving wine industry they could have a better chance at cracking the wine market compared to say BC or Ontario, since there is a certain cachet to having a Quebec wine (a story for another FT post). The real question should really be, "Why does AC stock Peroni when there are tons of better Italian wines that sell at about the same price point?"

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC 75K
A subject dear to my heart.

The wines in J have improved dramatically, even in domestic J. Genvieve knows her stuff and sources interesting food friendly wines on what must be a pretty poor budget. Until she showed up I would never have described the wine selections as "interesting."

Tantalus produces Canada's best Rieslings IMO, the Old Vines is a remarkable wine and virtually indestructible, it will last for decades. Get on the mailing list and the regular bottling retails for under $20. Their Juveniles Chardonnay (which now has a new name that escapes me) is also great value for under $2,0.

Travelling in both international and domestic J, I will report back.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
$30 gets you a great Canadian sparkling wine, $30 won't even get you Champagne here (yes, I know taxes),
The Costco Kirkland brand Champagne comes from Épernay in France and last time I saw it was $30.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
The Costco Kirkland brand Champagne comes from Épernay in France and last time I saw it was $30.
And actually it's not too bad.. Not sure if you would want to serve it if you have guests or for your wife's birthday though. . In the latter case, I think last time I got some vintage one.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YXEGeordie
A subject dear to my heart.

The wines in J have improved dramatically, even in domestic J. Genvieve knows her stuff and sources interesting food friendly wines on what must be a pretty poor budget. Until she showed up I would never have described the wine selections as "interesting."
I believe her name is Véronique.

Here is a relevant story: Véronique Rivest, la passion du vin au service d’Air Canada
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Wasn't aware that costco sold alcohol in Canada. I know they do in the US, but certainly not here in Ontario. Can't really say I've been in many other alcohol stores in other provinces though but do know that Western Canada generally has more relaxed booze laws than the rest of the country.

I also don't have a costco membership and haven't been in one in over 15 years.I certainly wouldn't knock a wine because it's from costco either. I mean they sell Dom!

But the important thing is, is it any good? I'd be curious to try it. Especially at a $30 price point.

Is this it?
https://spitbucket.net/2018/12/10/th...-wine-reviews/

I did notice that it seems to only be available in AB though.

Last edited by iceblueshoes; Feb 13, 2019 at 10:43 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Wasn't aware that costco sold alcohol in Canada.
I also don't have a costco membership and haven't been in one in over 15 years.I certainly wouldn't knock a wine because it's from costco either. I mean they sell Dom!
They do in Alberta, but Alberta has the most liberal liquor laws in Canada too. You don't need to be a member to shop at the Costco liquor stores in Alberta, anyone can buy there. My partner quite likes champagne, and he says that it is excellent value. Perhaps not quite as good as some of the "name" brands that cost 2- 3X as much, but certainly not 2-3X worse. Much depends on your tastes, he doesn't like fruity notes in champagne, and I gather the Kirkland one has that.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the important thing is, is it any good? I'd be curious to try it. Especially at a $30 price point.
You don't need a costco card to buy alcohol at costco. At least in Alberta.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by jasdou
I believe her name is Véronique.

Here is a relevant story: Véronique Rivest, la passion du vin au service d’Air Canada
D'oh

I knew it was Veronique. This is why you don't post late at night when you are on your third glass of a delicious Cotes Du Rhone from the outstanding 2016 vintage!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
They do in Alberta, but Alberta has the most liberal liquor laws in Canada too.
They do in Quebec too. Don't go to the Costco in Gatineau before a long weekend in the summer though, every cottage owner in Ottawa is over there stocking up on cheap beer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.