Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 2-leg J award shows Mixed Cabin, but availability on both legs separately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 2-leg J award shows Mixed Cabin, but availability on both legs separately

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Platinum
2-leg J award shows Mixed Cabin, but availability on both legs separately

I have been searching for a one-way TATL J award: YYZ-TLS.

When I search the entire itinerary the AP booking engine shows it as a Mixed Cabin Award with the TATL leg in J (YYZ-FRA, AC Class I) and the Intra-Europe leg in Y (FRA-TLS, LH Class X). This is not bad, since the long TATL leg would be in J, but when I search the legs separately, there is actually J award availability on both legs (Class I in AC and Class I in LH).

Any ideas what is going on? I searched +/- 1 day and same situation.

I don't want to book the Mixed Cabin award and be stuck with the Y (Class X) 2nd segment, since that is LH and they may not upgrade the AP award.

Is this something that I can work out WITHOUT calling the AP Contact Centre (and the $30 x 2 pax = $60 fee)??
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Book the mixed cabin, then call in and tell them you see J space on the other flight, and they'll bump it up for free.

I've done this several times due to the same issue you describe.
pitz likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Book the mixed cabin, then call in and tell them you see J space on the other flight, and they'll bump it up for free.

Not disagreeing, but looking for clarification.

I have just booked a reward flight flight, YYZ->NBO. The entire flight was "paid for" at the J rate, but based on availability the actually flights were mixed; YYZ-FRA on AC, J, and FRA-NBO on LH in Y.

If LH decide to open up J award availability on the second flight, are you saying that Aeroplan will be able to rebook the LH/Y leg into LH/J? Will there be a change fee?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by canopus27
Not disagreeing, but looking for clarification.

I have just booked a reward flight flight, YYZ->NBO. The entire flight was "paid for" at the J rate, but based on availability the actually flights were mixed; YYZ-FRA on AC, J, and FRA-NBO on LH in Y.

If LH decide to open up J award availability on the second flight, are you saying that Aeroplan will be able to rebook the LH/Y leg into LH/J? Will there be a change fee?
If you've 'paid' for J or F, but ticketed into another cabin, you can always rebook the affected segment into the proper cabin assuming Award availability appears. There is no charge for this.

This is different than the issue the OP is seeing which is related to married segments.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
If you've 'paid' for J or F, but ticketed into another cabin, you can always rebook the affected segment into the proper cabin assuming Award availability appears. There is no charge for this.

This is different than the issue the OP is seeing which is related to married segments.
Yes, in my "married segments" scenario it is mixed, but individually there is already availability. I'm just not sure why it appears the way it does, and if I'll have any problems calling to up-fare (up-class?) the second leg.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Married segment logic causes the itinerary to be mixed cabin - yes. However, once ticketed, the segment in Y will have an IBP00 fare basis associated with its coupon (if ticketed properly), which entitles upgrade to cabin that matches the fare basis as long as the fare class (award I space) is available. Hence, doing what canadiancow suggests would be fine.

Even if the itinerary isn't ticketed properly and the segment has XBP00 fare basis associated with it, you can still point out to the agent that the itinerary was paid for with J or F mileage amount and get that segment upgraded (subject to the same availability requirement).
DNAwizard likes this.

Last edited by YYT82; Sep 18, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82

Married segment logic causes the itinerary to be mixed cabin - yes. However, once ticketed, the segment in Y will have an IBP00 fare basis associated with its coupon (if ticketed properly), which entitles upgrade to cabin that matches the fare basis as long as the fare class (award I space) is available. Hence, doing what canadiancow suggests would be fine.

Even if the itinerary isn't ticketed properly and the segment has XBP00 fare basis associated with it, you can still point out to the agent that the itinerary was paid for with J or F mileage amount and get that segment upgraded (subject to the same availability requirement).
I have never had a Y segment on a mixed-cabin itinerary ticketed with a fare basis of IBP00. It's always been XBP00, as recently as a ticket issues in July. The fare basis on the segment has nothing to do with with Aeroplan will make this change.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:39 pm

I have never had a Y segment on a mixed-cabin itinerary ticketed with a fare basis of IBP00. It's always been XBP00, as recently as a ticket issues in July. The fare basis on the segment has nothing to do with with Aeroplan will make this change.
Yes I know about your experience and we went through this before in another thread. However, mine had always been the opposite and my itineraries have always had the proper fare basis code on a fixed mileage mixed cabin award.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82

Yes I know about your experience and we went through this before in another thread. However, mine had always been the opposite and my itineraries have always had the proper fare basis code on a fixed mileage mixed cabin award.
I've never booked Market Fare. They've all been Fixed Mileage.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Where do I find the fare basis code for an aeroplan ticket?

In the confirmation email, the PDF shows the AC flight as "Business (I)", and the LH flight as "Economy (X)" ... but I think that's just the fare basis for the segment(s).

I can't find IBP00 anywhere on the ticket, nor the Aeroplan nor AC web sites.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:04 pm

In the confirmation email, the PDF shows the AC flight as "Business (I)", and the LH flight as "Economy (X)" ... but I think that's just the fare basis for the segment(s).

PM'd you.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan has a warning when booking: This itinerary includes flights in mixed cabins. Request an upgrade at the airport for the Air Canada lower class flights. Unfortunately standby is not permitted on Star Alliance.

However, the "lower class flight" is LH and not AC. So I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

And when is the best time to call AP to bump up? Immediately after? Or closer to departure?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bt_yyz
And when is the best time to call AP to bump up? Immediately after? Or closer to departure?
There is a chance that J reward availability could actually be snatched up if you wait too long.
I would suggest calling in ASAP to get the bump up.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:54 pm

saudia.com
canopus27 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
There is a chance that J reward availability could actually be snatched up if you wait too long.
I would suggest calling in ASAP to get the bump up.
SUCCESS!
I took a while to phone in (almost 3 weeks), but there was still availability (intra-Europe 6 months out) and the AP agent helped switch the second leg so that both are J rewards booked in I-class.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.