Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can i use my Aeroplan Points to book a flight for someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by accarr
Yes
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I second that..YES
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The one caveat is if you're SE, there are restrictions on intercontinental J priority rewards.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:54 am

Apologies for the necroposting, this thread looked short enough to hijack it without consequences

Is there anything I need to consider if I use my son's account to book for me? He is 2 years old so I'm not sure whether there are additional restrictions in that sense.

Thank you all!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Apologies for the necroposting, this thread looked short enough to hijack it without consequences

Is there anything I need to consider if I use my son's account to book for me? He is 2 years old so I'm not sure whether there are additional restrictions in that sense.

Thank you all!
Online nothing.
On the phone, he must be present and give verbal permission
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
No issues, go ahead.

My wife knows my AP password so when I die and I know I will one day, she can access my account and fly using my points, for herself, family or friends. I will be dead thus not able to use them. I can't will them, gifting is expensive and booking for others I can't as I will again still be dead.

I have booked trips for others with my priority award and have booked for others as regular. On my AP account, I have my wife and son on there so it's easy to book for them. When booking for friends I just add them and I have never had an issue, while alive. When I am dead, I really can't say for sure right now.

I should mention when my son was a minor I controlled his AP account and booked a couple of trips for me. I figure I paid for his flights, he owed me! No issues at all
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Online nothing.
On the phone, he must be present and give verbal permission
I asked exactly because I am already picturing a phone call by AC asking to speak with the account holder

Thank you!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I have booked trips for others with my priority award and have booked for others as regular. On my AP account, I have my wife and son on there so it's easy to book for them.
@HerpaYvr
Can you please clarify? Are you saying you book SE priority rewards online for your family without calling in, even if you are not travelling with them? Thx
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by visitor

@HerpaYvr
Can you please clarify? Are you saying you book SE priority rewards online for your family without calling in, even if you are not traveling with them? Thx
Yes!
Just as I have booked leaving one part of Canada to another part of Canada through the US to avoid excess AP Scam Charges (on United) and also not pay more than the fixed rate!
Just as I traveled to YEI from SFO in J for $30.40CDN with LX and got off the plane in IST this past December.....Then back again in J on LH for $188CDN for a grand total of 25K AP

I always avoid calling in. I do almost everything online.

My mistake, sharing this publicly! I like to exploit loopholes and weak security features. It's about beating the man, man. lol

I am not a very smart man if my commodore 64 allows me to do it, then it must be ok!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:41 am

@HerpaYvr
Can you please clarify? Are you saying you book SE priority rewards online for your family without calling in, even if you are not travelling with them? Thx
There is no issue doing this (even non family) as long as you’re not booking int’l J.

Ive done it myself several times.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by YEG USER

There is no issue doing this (even non family) as long as you’re not booking int’l J.

Ive done it myself several times.
My bad. SE priority international J is what I am interested in.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
[QUOTE=HerpaYvr;30923760]No issues, go ahead.

My wife knows my AP password so when I die and I know I will one day, she can access my account and fly using my points, for herself, family or friends. I will be dead thus not able to use them. I can't will them, gifting is expensive and booking for others I can't as I will again still be dead.

Actually, Aeroplan does have a policy that allows the Executor of an estate to transfer miles to named beneficiaries of the estate:

https://www.aeroplan.com/estate-poli...entLanguage=en
Plumber likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

My bad. SE priority international J is what I am interested in.
If you're not travelling, you have to call in. No way around it, and no way around the $30 fee.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:32 pm

So I booked a reward flight using my son's account. I couldn't complete the booking online and I had to call in to pay the taxes. I'm now waiting to have the reservation ticketed, how long would you wait before considering something went wrong?

Thank you for your help, as you can tell it's the first time I use Aeroplan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.