Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

RBC Avion flight eligible for AQD/AQS/AQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am just about to book a flight using RBC Avion points on air Canada (RT YYZ-YVR). The tickets are in G and S classes.

It's unclear to me (due to conflicting posts), would I still receiving AQM/AQS and AQD?

Thanks,
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ACFlyer90
Hi,

I am just about to book a flight using RBC Avion points on air Canada (RT YYZ-YVR). The tickets are in G and S classes.

It's unclear to me (due to conflicting posts), would I still receiving AQM/AQS and AQD?

Thanks,

Plus there are also these threads

Are RBC Rewards Points eligible for Aeroplan point accrual/AQD?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-altitude.html

RBC Avion flight rewards - no longer able to receive status/tier miles from airlines?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

As I said, there is conflicting information. Hence my post.

I cannot find a clear answer about this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
There is no clear answer because some posters get AQM and some do not. It used to be that everyone got AQM using RBC. If you really need AQM/AQD then RBC has a process where you call and get an approval number, book your own flights and pay with RBC Visa and they will credit you with what you paid upto their limit for the segment. So for example if YYZ-YVR is $750 then thats the max they will credit. You must get preapproval before you book. They may tell you that you have to book with them but insist.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply!

Is there any way to confirm in advance, so i dont have to go the route of buying the flight and having it credited back?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by ACFlyer90
Thanks for your reply!

Is there any way to confirm in advance, so i dont have to go the route of buying the flight and having it credited back?
What do you mean by confirm in advance ? I just outlined the steps. Call RBC Avion, tell them you want to book the flight yourself, find out what their 'limit' is for the flight and get a pre approval number. Once you have the number you can book and proceed. Once booked, call RBC, give them your preapproval number and they will credit the amount. The credit will be almost immediate so its not like you would have to pay for the flight and wait months for a credit.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
What do you mean by confirm in advance ?
OP likely means what are the chances of chances of earning AQM if not following the steps you outlined and the answer is unknown because as you said some posters reported getting AQM while others didn't.It's akin to Air Miles award tickets as some members have reported earning FFM on those tickets but most haven't.

If you need the AQM for re-qualifying the follows vernon's steps or if not roll the dice and accept the outcome.

Regardless of which option you choose good luck!
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
OP likely means what are the chances of chances of earning AQM if not following the steps you outlined and the answer is unknown because as you said some posters reported getting AQM while others didn't.It's akin to Air Miles award tickets as some members have reported earning FFM on those tickets but most haven't.

If you need the AQM for re-qualifying the follows vernon's steps or if not roll the dice and accept the outcome.

Regardless of which option you choose good luck!
I would simply work from the assumption you get nothing (unless you do the workaround). It appears that Air Canada and the Royal Bank came up with some deal where they get special inventory at a reduced cost with no points. If you luck out and that inventory is exhausted for your flight you might end up on a ticket that does earn aeroplan.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - decided to roll the dice. Hopefully get something out of it.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:51 am

From other posts some mentioned you can find the eligibility in the remarks section of the ticket. My understanding too is they have an arrangement w AC that covers the topic of points.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I looked everywhere on the ticket.

No where does it show up that it is not eligible for mileage credit.

On looking up the ticket on AC.com with the provided reference number, it actually says that I will be getting Aeroplan Miles.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The ticket will not say, the fare rules will say. Good luck getting either the fare basis code (not just bucket) out of anyone. And if the fare basis is a custom deal, thoughts and prayers fo getting those rules.

G bucket might be fare basis G0ZBTG
RBC may be able to book the magic G0ZBTG/RB for example.

If you book direct, with the pre-approval code in hand, it's a regular fare. Regular rules apply. Regular rules can be found by someone.

Booking with RBC... Thoughts and prayers.
vernonc likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:47 pm

I hope OP took advantage of this promo but might have been announced today by RBC Avion...
Book a roundtrip flight on points and get 30% points back2.
Limited time only. Conditions apply.To show our thanks, we want to reward you with 30% points back when you book a roundtrip flight on points2. There’s never been a better time to be an Avioner.

Or this....
Status match to
WestJet Rewards Gold.Limited-time offer: Provide proof of top-tier status of any airline frequent flyer program3.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Angry RBC Avion and Air Canada

So, recently I just got a kick in the teeth by my point card, mostly because AC changed the rule. I used to buy Z class using my RBC Avion points and cash and my ticket was qualified for Altitude and Aeroplan. However, when I took a flight to YYZ to SCL recently, I noticed I was not awarded any Altitude and Aeroplan. After calling both Avion and Aeroplan bunch of times, this is what I got - AC changed the rule, if you use any reward points even it is not related to Air Canada, it is disqualified. My question is, why? AC is saying it is non-monetary ticket but to me, Avion ppl had to buy this ticket from AC to sell it to me for points and cash!!! Am I wrong?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
AC probably gave RBC a bit of a discount in exchange for a non earning class. Won’t help with qualifying but you can try to credit to United.
canadiancow and Fiordland like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.