Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IAH Terminal Change Question, Tight Connection (self induced)- United -> AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX

I was hoping someone more familiar with IAH could help let me know if this plan is do-able or doomed to fail. I dont mind tight connections but this airport can be daunting. I fly into IAH from XNA at 1:38 and booked a direct AC operated flight leaving at 2:15pm back to YYC. I really dont want other pairings as they get me home way late in the evening, so think this can work if I hustle through the airport. I suppose I have until 2:03 to make the flight, so have to be ok with about 25 mins to navigate. Any tips on smooth sailing or if there is a wrinkle I am not seeing? Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Does the XNA-IAH flight arrive at Terminal B?

It's tight. If everything works out fine, you should be okay. But it doesn't leave any margin for error.

The published cut-off for boarding on TB flights is 15 minutes, so you technically have 22 minutes to deplane your XNA flight and get to A9.

Given the 45-minute turn that's scheduled from 8102 to 8105, 8105 is usually still boarding at T-15, so in practice you probably have a few extra minutes.
​​​
I recognize that UA1780 gets in a lot later to YYC, but is that an option, or an earlier XNA-IAH flight? I feel like this is kind of a 50/50 shot, and if you miss it, AC may just stick you on 8103 the next morning and you'll not only be home far later, you'll be out of pocket for the hotel too.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Don't think this is doable even on a run but could be proven wrong. All AC flights I have taken out of IAH to YYC are in different terminal than UA (and previously CO flights) requiring airport train. Is that not still the case?

If you know what you are doing and only light carry on, I think you would still be hard pressed. AC has been very sticky about when you show up as well. I suppose if you are a great runner, you have a chance but still think it is slim. Good luck if you try--we will be rooting for you! Let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
It can be done, deplane your XNA flight first if possible (advise FA) then walk very fast or jog to the A gates. Train may even be slower getting on/off etc...Adam Smith is right about boarding IAH to YVR (Jazz flights) they are still boarding well into the :15 min prior (my experience anyway).
If you have to RON the Airport Marriott is a nice hotel & very convenient..
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Don't think this is doable even on a run but could be proven wrong. All AC flights I have taken out of IAH to YYC are in different terminal than UA (and previously CO flights) requiring airport train. Is that not still the case?
Depends on the flight. Most domestic UA mainline is C, with some E. Most RJ stuff is B. LatAm is E. But they also have a small number of RJ flights from A.

Today, OP's flight is actually scheduled to arrive at A8, right next to the AC gate, and from looking at FlightAware for the last couple weeks, it seems like sometimes it does go from A. If that's the case when OP is flying, it makes this a lot easier.

But if the XNA flight comes in at B or C, yes, taking the train becomes mandatory as there is no other airside connection between the two. So running only does so much good.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by james dean
It can be done, deplane your XNA flight first if possible (advise FA) then walk very fast or jog to the A gates. Train may even be slower getting on/off etc...Adam Smith is right about boarding IAH to YVR (Jazz flights) they are still boarding well into the :15 min prior (my experience anyway).
If you have to RON the Airport Marriott is a nice hotel & very convenient..
Skipping the train is not an option. You can walk between B/C/D/E, but A is only connected by train.

And yes, if stuck overnight, the Marriott is easy.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Skipping the train is not an option. You can walk between B/C/D/E, but A is only connected by train.

And yes, if stuck overnight, the Marriott is easy.
Good catch Adam!!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I cannot find the terminal, but see this on my ticket:

Flight UA3680 operated by REPUBLIC AIRLINES doing business as UNITED EXPRESS.

I recall that it was a tiny plane from last year and may have had to take a bus to another point. My fear was the terminal transfer train. Does anyone know where the united republic flight ship docks in IAH? Definitely gonna be tight!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I am doing the same thing this week with final destination at YYZ. And I have done this a few times over the years.
According to Tripit the XNA-IAH flight should arrive in terminal B and AC should depart from term A. It is doable but tight and as Adam suggested, you need to take the train and will have to be very quick. Unfortunately the XNA-IAH flight is sometimes late though this is before the afternoon thunderstorms so yo may be ok.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by coleo
Thanks all. I cannot find the terminal, but see this on my ticket:

Flight UA3680 operated by REPUBLIC AIRLINES doing business as UNITED EXPRESS.

I recall that it was a tiny plane from last year and may have had to take a bus to another point. My fear was the terminal transfer train. Does anyone know where the united republic flight ship docks in IAH? Definitely gonna be tight!
As I said above, just flipping through a few FlightAware entries, looks like it's usually B, sometimes A, very rarely C.

I would suggest you get a seat as far forward on XNA-IAH as possible - J would be best. I wouldn't rely on getting a sympathetic FA and sympathetic fellow passengers who will let you off quickly if you're back in 25A or whatever.

Then just pray you're on time and/or arrive at Terminal A.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for tip on the sitting front from XNA. The only other direct flight from XNA to IAH is 630am and I have a morning meeting so trying to squeak through. I got massively delayed due to afternoon thunderstorms there last year and had a retched overnight delay experience on American through Dallas and vow to never leave late in day again from XNA.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:06 pm

Thanks for tip on the sitting front from XNA. The only other direct flight from XNA to IAH is 630am and I have a morning meeting so trying to squeak through. I got massively delayed due to afternoon thunderstorms there last year and had a retched overnight delay experience on American through Dallas and vow to never leave late in day again from XNA.
United operated by republic arrives at Term B. AC departs term A. As you said thunderstorms affect flights specially the incoming into XNA. However I find thunderstorms affecting the late afternoon/evening flights so yours should be fine. I have not looked up schedules but I find its best to look at backup options, normally XNA-ORD-YXX works as an alternative as there should be more choice.

EDIT : Just checked this weeks history on UA3680 and it seems to have arrived at IAH everyday at Term A. Which is where AC departs from so if this holds, then you are good.

Last edited by vernonc; Sep 16, 2018 at 12:16 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
United operated by republic arrives at Term B.
Usually B. Not always. As I said above.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Usually B. Not always. As I said above.
Yup, edited my post above. Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:34 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I was hoping someone more familiar with IAH could help let me know if this plan is do-able or doomed to fail. I dont mind tight connections but this airport can be daunting. I fly into IAH from XNA at 1:38 and booked a direct AC operated flight leaving at 2:15pm back to YYC. I really dont want other pairings as they get me home way late in the evening, so think this can work if I hustle through the airport. I suppose I have until 2:03 to make the flight, so have to be ok with about 25 mins to navigate. Any tips on smooth sailing or if there is a wrinkle I am not seeing? Thanks!
you're fine provided no delays on arrival. just move quick from b to a, don't sloth around like yyc drivers and pedestrians. you may even have time to do a shot in the lounge across from a9 where the qk flights leave.

the outsourced agents in iah will see you have a tight connection and will be very happy to accommodate you rather than act like pedants. you always see people running in iah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.