Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SD came back to economy and gave desserts to all the SE100Ks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SD came back to economy and gave desserts to all the SE100Ks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Also this thread discusses other similar events: SD's treatment of SE in economy
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Also this thread discusses other similar events: SD's treatment of SE in economy
Page not found
Touché
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
From SD's treatment of SE in economy

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I had FA address me as Miss instead of Mrs then kept apologising when she realised the mistake. I don't care.
@Annalisa12
Right. I don't care. Bubbles and chocolate and maybe a hug. That's all I need. LOL

But hey, if a SD is going to go behind the "wall" and be nice to some SEs, MMs etc in Y, sure, I'll smile and say thanks.

Edit to Add: I'll even write a thank-you note

Last edited by 24left; Sep 14, 2018 at 2:24 pm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
the cookies and ice cream made it back to SE pax in Y? I'd be happy if they catered enough for J.

stark contrast to our YUL-YVR last week when even a PAID J SEMM we were with and his wife did not get a cookie or ice cream.

They only had loaded enough to make it to the third row of J on an Airbus. Maybe this was to punish us for not booking the Signature Service widebody at a surcharge.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by YYT82

A few hundred grams of weight onboard are still a few hundred grams, whether eaten or not. The only change in weight during a flight is the actual consumption of fuel.

That being said, I wonder if the flight just happened to be over-catered.
Evaporation as well.

​​​​I've never had problems requesting two ice creams in J... And maybe at times I've received it in Y. There's a reason for my tag on FT.

Service on AChas been vastly improving over the last year IMHO.

Edit: Except one flight. This has been settled amicably.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Just fly back YVRYYZ on the 737 max.

Standard service, no cookies for me. Just a slightly more cramped seat an no WiFi to work with.

So I suggest (and we all assume) the cookies were very much the exception, rather than the rule (assuming there were leftovers)
24left likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Maybe I'm missing something, but unsure as to why so many cynical responses.

The gesture of giving an unexpected little extra for your best customers is a great business move on the part of any company.
If others ask for it, very easy to tell them that the person(s) it was given to is one of very travellers.

Those little extras which are a form of recognition and gratitude are what help retain customers.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by taupo
It is one of those things that are consistently inconsistent.

In all my years of flying, in Y I have been offered one personal welcome on board, would you like a paper and one, mr. lcohen999 do you want a paper as he walked past.

So over more than 800 flights in Y, that is about it. Now, personal recognition in Y is not a documented benefit so there are no expectations to receive and I do not judge my flight or service on that.

I would suspect my experience is average to everyone else but that is just an assumption of course.

So when these little nice things happen, it isn't hard to get cynical about them.

...and to be honest. I have had amazing on the ground experience and in J in the air. So I am not criticizing AC, just answering your question.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Nice - all I got yesterday was a call from the SD to the FA at row 50 asking if I wanted a Fast Track pass for immigration at LHR. Having a UK passport this was not necessary for me but was appreciated nevertheless.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

The gesture of giving an unexpected little extra for your best customers is a great business move on the part of any company.
If others ask for it, very easy to tell them that the person(s) it was given to is one of very travellers.

Those little extras which are a form of recognition and gratitude are what help retain customers.
Cheapening the J cabin!! Who needs to fly J if they are just going to give out desserts to the Super Elites in the back?
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Were they just?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:29 pm

While it might be a nice gesture to the elites, it tends to piss off others in Y who only see that someone else is getting something they aren't. Imagine a kid seeing a stranger two rows up getting some ice cream. Their expectation is that they will be getting some (rightly or wrongly, a kid will be expecting it). Parent placates the kid by saying it is coming... You can see how this is going to turn out.

I've had similar issues (or seen similar issues) when I bring food or drinks on board that I buy in the airport anticipating a flight delay. Saying passenger x is an elite is not going to go over well with many people these days. That the airline might be trying to offer a gesture or that someone did some advanced planning means nothing. There are a lot of people who understand, but unfortunately a lot more who do not.
​​​​​
​​
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
While it might be a nice gesture to the elites, it tends to piss off others in Y who only see that someone else is getting something they aren't. Imagine a kid seeing a stranger two rows up getting some ice cream. Their expectation is that they will be getting some (rightly or wrongly, a kid will be expecting it). Parent placates the kid by saying it is coming... You can see how this is going to turn out.

I've had similar issues (or seen similar issues) when I bring food or drinks on board that I buy in the airport anticipating a flight delay. Saying passenger x is an elite is not going to go over well with many people these days. That the airline might be trying to offer a gesture or that someone did some advanced planning means nothing. There are a lot of people who understand, but unfortunately a lot more who do not.
​​​​​
​​
One could make a similar argument about elites using the priority lane they're entitled to in order to skip the line of kettles and FoTSGs. Whats the point here?

-James
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
​​​​
Respectfully disagree.

If Y pax are expecting to receive something others may be getting on Air Canada, that is their issue.
If a young child thinks he may also get ice cream and a cookie, it is the parents who did not manage his expectations. Placating the child by essentially lying and saying it's coming, is less than helpful and a bad lesson to teach.

Further I would add, AA and UA seem to be able to manage their budget and the expectations of those in coach who are not elites. I know AA offered me a sandwich or item from BoB and a drink when I was seated in coach. That is their policy. It is understood by everyone as a benefit for having earned the status. I didn't hear others in coach whining that they should get some too.

AC chooses not to provide this benefit. I do not think it costs much to do but clearly either AC logistics, catering and/or cabin crew can't manage to do this, or, AC doesn't want to spend the few pesos as a gesture to say thanks to their top tier. This has been debated in other threads here.

......Saying passenger x is an elite is not going to go over well with many people these days. That the airline might be trying to offer a gesture or that someone did some advanced planning means nothing. There are a lot of people who understand, but unfortunately a lot more who do not.
​​​​​​
There are a lot of people who fly many miles and spend some serious coin with Air Canada.
As such, Air Canada "rewards" them/us with some benefits. We all know what they are. They are listed here on the AC Altitude Privileges page

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges

If others who do not spend the required amounts to earn status with AC are upset or jealous that they don't get the good stuff, well, they either need to spend the money or they need to get over it. The world isn't equal and airline FFPs and hotel loyalty programs and anything else that allows one to earn a higher level of whatever status, has created this unequal existence. It isn't much more equal in the real world, but I digress.

There is the internet, there are websites where one can learn about these programs and benefits.

If people instead choose to whine on sites like FB, that is their problem, not mine and not anyone else who met the requirements that Air Canada established.

In the end, it was a nice gesture that SEs on OP's flight received cookies and ice cream. Lucky them.
D582, flyquiet, jasdou and 2 others like this.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 15, 2018 at 6:35 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

​​​​​
​​
How on Earth do these very sensitive people even make it on the plane? First, they have to stand in line and watch the elites check in quicker at their special check-in counters. Then they have to seethe as the elites breeze past them in the priority screening lines at security. After that, they get to stew in the terminal, paying for food and beverage, while the elites enjoy a selection refreshing beverages, such as juice, soda, tea, coffee and specialty coffees - including espresso, cappuccino and latte, as well as a selection of beer, wine, spirits and delicious snacks in the award-winning Maple Leaf Lounges. To top it all off, those dastardly elites get (the option) to get on first during priority boarding! And now, after all these indignities, SOME ELITES GOT ICE CREAM TOO?!? Quel horreur!

It's not fair! How will we ever explain the ice cream to the children?!?
D582, DrunkCargo, 24left and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.