Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exit Rows No Longer Need to be Kept Clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35

Flying YYZ-YUL yesterday and sitting in the second of two exit rows, 18D. 6 of the 12 passengers stowed their bags under the seat in front. The flight attendant explained to me that this was perfectly OK so long as the bags did not intrude into the "exit" floor space. Is this a recent change in policy for Air Canada and Transport Canada?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by EuroRob
Flying YYZ-YUL yesterday and sitting in the second of two exit rows, 18D. 6 of the 12 passengers stowed their bags under the seat in front. The flight attendant explained to me that this was perfectly OK so long as the bags did not intrude into the "exit" floor space. Is this a recent change in policy for Air Canada and Transport Canada?
This has always been permitted.
ffsim, smc333, Diabeetus and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by EuroRob
The flight attendant explained to me that this was perfectly OK so long as the bags did not intrude into the "exit" floor space.
This is precisely how the exits are kept clear for as long as I can remember.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by ffsim

This is precisely how the exits are kept clear for as long as I can remember.
Have only been on one airline where under-the-seat items were completely banned from the overwing exits. Iberia.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:54 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Have only been on one airline where under-the-seat items were completely banned from the overwing exits. Iberia.
Jetstar did this as well when I flew them a few years ago.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Interesting, their sister company BA also enforces this very strongly.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It’s only bulkheads where there are no floor bags. Excepting the above.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I had this happen too on Air Dolomiti (an LH partner).

Last edited by Bohemian1; Sep 11, 2018 at 12:16 pm Reason: Added LH reference.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35
Lufthansa enforces this very strictly. Not even a handbag allowed on the floor. Would seem reasonable that an incident that would prompt an emergency evacuation could also shake bags out of place.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This varies by the country by which the airline is regulated. Canada and the USA are among the countries which allow unseat stowage in the exit row while some other countries do not.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Originally Posted by LarryJ
This varies by the country by which the airline is regulated. Canada and the USA are among the countries which allow unseat stowage in the exit row while some other countries do not.

In my recent experience AF, U2 (EasyJet), BA, Swiss and LH all forbid any under seat baggage in the exit rows. Maybe it's a European regulation? AF often has a flight attendant protecting the overhead space during boarding for occupants of the exit rows.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
SK, DY and most European airlines are STRICTLY enforcing this, anything and everything goes in the overhead bins, even pillows and blankets.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: TK *G
Most of the Chinese carriers, CA, MU, ZH, etc, ban any storage of bags in exit rows.

Anyone know if this is an airline policy or national wide policy?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by The Viking
SK, DY and most European airlines are STRICTLY enforcing this, anything and everything goes in the overhead bins, even pillows and blankets.
Yes, SK, LO, LH (as per above), and several other *A airlines strictly enforce this.
Even the shades going up on takeoff/landing are strictly enforced.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Stanbury
In my recent experience AF, U2 (EasyJet), BA, Swiss and LH all forbid any under seat baggage in the exit rows. Maybe it's a European regulation? AF often has a flight attendant protecting the overhead space during boarding for occupants of the exit rows.
I sounds like it is a European regulation. I have only flown for US airlines so can only speak to US regulations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.