Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How can I gain lounge access during 4+ hour layover @ CDG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

Long story short: next Monday I am facing 4+ hours in one of EU's worst airports (CDG) without access to MLL or *A lounge because I somehow missed that my second leg (CDG-DUS) is on EW, a non *A airline.

Just had a thought that there is probably a one way I could buy for that second leg and then cancel and get a refund shortly before the flight. How do I safely do this? I've never played the game but if it's simple then why not, right? Which flight and which fare should I buy, and when is the cutoff for a refund?

I won't do it a hundred times so that I face a years long court battle and become infamous on FT
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Long story short: next Monday I am facing 4+ hours in one of EU's worst airports (CDG) without access to MLL or *A lounge because I somehow missed that my second leg (CDG-DUS) is on EW, a non *A airline.

Just had a thought that there is probably a one way I could buy for that second leg and then cancel and get a refund shortly before the flight. How do I safely do this? I've never played the game but if it's simple then why not, right? Which flight and which fare should I buy, and when is the cutoff for a refund?

I won't do it a hundred times so that I face a years long court battle and become infamous on FT
Paging @DrunkCargo

He's the expert, and you knew that already.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You need to buy a fully refundable ticket in business class. You can apply for a refund anytime, but be aware that it will be some time before the refund shows up in your credit card account, possibly in the next cycle. Is this worth lounge access? Also you’ll need to make sure that it’s not on the same flight/airline you really are flying on, as some systems detect duplicates.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Also you’ll need to make sure that it’s not on the same flight/airline you really are flying on, as some systems detect duplicates.
Not on AC, perhaps Amadeus will solve this (or make things worse).
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Careful, a ticket originating in CDG will almost certainly be priced in Euros, so you'll probably end up eating any foreign currency surcharge your CC issuer charges + any currency fluctuations not in your favour.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYT82

Not on AC, perhaps Amadeus will solve this (or make things worse).
I know, but he's not flying on AC, so that is irrelevant. He could buy a EW fully flex ticket that allows him lounge access, but it is entirely possible that this is detected and one or both bookings are cancelled. In another thread on this same subject I advised the OP that the LH lounge is not worth any kind of additional effort, and I truly wonder why anyone would go to the length of buying a refundable ticket to access it. There are, of course, various options to buy a refundable business ticket for another airline, possibly in another terminal, to sample that lounge, but at this stage it is probably easier to invest in PP or buy lounge access somewhere.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I know, but he's not flying on AC, so that is irrelevant. He could buy a EW fully flex ticket that allows him lounge access, but it is entirely possible that this is detected and one or both bookings are cancelled. In another thread on this same subject I advised the OP that the LH lounge is not worth any kind of additional effort, and I truly wonder why anyone would go to the length of buying a refundable ticket to access it. There are, of course, various options to buy a refundable business ticket for another airline, possibly in another terminal, to sample that lounge, but at this stage it is probably easier to invest in PP or buy lounge access somewhere.
Agreed. I tend to use my Amex plat benefits here. Also never fly CDG with *A. Even Been Smith is leaving/left.

Edit: just realized I've never connected CDG. It's always my final if I'm going there. Also if you have skyclub membership (part of some statuses) you can use AF, with or without BP.

​​​​​

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Sep 3, 2018 at 3:46 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:43 am

Purchasing lounge access is probably the most practical option at this point - way cheaper than getting a new fare or refunding a ticket!

Here are your options:
  • Purchase MLL access (Terminal 2A): 35 Euros - anyone can buy in, no requirement for holding AC/* Ticket (on airport in MLL network that offers this benefit)
  • Star Alliance Lounge or iCare Lounge (Terminal 1)
All of these lounges are Priority Pass lounge. Check your credit cards to see if you hold a card that offers this benefit (it goes under a variety of names including Priority Pass if AmEx Platinum, LoungeKey if World Elite MC). If not. you'll generally be able to walk into one of these lounges and pay a fee (i.e. 30-40 EURs) to gain entrance.

Ironically, if you had *A Gold status on either UA or NH, you'd still have access to the LH lounges when flying EuroWings basic.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:47 am
Suspended

WaytoomuchEurope - the *A lounge is also a PP lounge. Get yourself a membership for that, which is cheaper and more versatile than refundable tickets. @:-)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Purchase MLL access (Terminal 2A): 35 Euros - anyone can buy in, no requirement for holding AC/* Ticket (on airport in MLL network that offers this benefit)
Thought you needed a *A ticket for this. Anyhow, no airline really cares about this tiny cost unless you're like that German dude who ended up paying for his access, or that China dude who lived at the airport, in both cases I believe it was the airline that took legal action iirc.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 3, 2018 at 4:51 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Careful, a ticket originating in CDG will almost certainly be priced in Euros, so you'll probably end up eating any foreign currency surcharge your CC issuer charges + any currency fluctuations not in your favour.
Alternative to this is to purchase off a third party website, or call airline directly to have them issue in CAD. At which point, the ROE will be fixed and printed on ticket, and everything charged/refunded in CAD.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Someone doing this as a one off would likely be okay.

Doing this after posting about it on a public forum is an extremely bad idea. Especially if one has status and any posts that might allow AC to identify them.
smallmj and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:27 am

why go through all the hula hoops just for 1 access. At the risk of withholding fares, cancellation fees, exchange rates, delays in refund etc etc..... Just buy a $30-40 one-time lounge access?

Even better get a PP with your bank or a supplementary card from a friend that has AMEX Platinum etc.....
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Flying EW Biz so have access to LH lounge but it is atrocious and has no showers. I walk straight into a 4 hour meeting when I get off the plane in DUS and a shower would do me wonders and surely be appreciated by those I'm meeting with.

I wasn't aware I could buy access to the MLL or *A lounge as some have mentioned. I'll look into that because that's the most sensible action.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
@Global happy traveler

great idea.

As evidently OP is is need of some financial help, how about we crowd source the purchase of a Priority Pass for this cnx?

I'll put up the first five dollars, so we only need another 6-8 more FT participants (which is fewer than those who have already posted on this Thread)

AC and every airline will certainly thank us for such a selfless offer to OP.

So who do I make the cheque out to, and where can I send - OP please PM with details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.