Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cannot check luggages YYZ-LHR-BRU in 21 hr layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cannot check luggages YYZ-LHR-BRU in 21 hr layover?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Question Cannot check luggages through YYZ-LHR-BRU in 21 hr layover?

We went on AC868 yesterday in ae reward flight YYZ-LHR, with a 21 hr layover, then will go on SN to BRU today. AC wouldn't check the bags through to BRU. The AC checkin agent said she worked there for 20+ years and they never checked bags for overnight layovers to the destination in this case BRU.

Last time we had a layover TPE-BKK-HKT, in a 20hr overnight layover in BKK, with Thai airlines. They did check the bags through to HKT. We didn't have to take the bags out at BKK.

We stored bags at a LHR storage store, at 12.5 lbs/ea, rather than dragging them to hotel in London. But wondering if the AC checkin agent is correct that AC never checks bags through in an overnight layover?

Last edited by yscleo; Aug 30, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by yscleo
We went on AC868 yesterday in ae reward flight YYZ-LHR, with a 21 hr layover, then will go on SN to BRU today. AC wouldn't check the bags through to BRU. The AC checkin agent said she worked there for 20+ years and they never checked bags for overnight layovers to the destination in this case BRU.

Last time we had a layover TPE-BKK-HKT, in a 20hr overnight layover in BKK, with Thai airlines. They did check the bags through to HKT. We didn't have to take the bags out at BKK.

We stored bags at a LHR storage store, at 12.5 lbs/ea, rather than dragging them to hotel in London. But wondering if the AC checkin agent is correct that AC never checks bags through in an overnight layover?
Hope not as I plan doing that exact thing on a YYZ-TPE-CNX flight that entails an overnight in Taipei.

Never had a problem with other airlines doing this (EVA for one)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mapleg
Never had a problem with other airlines doing this (EVA for one)
It depends on the airlines and the airports involved. BA for example will check through for up to 24 hours. Most if not all US carriers will only check through for 12 hours, and some won't check through on overnights at all. Sorry I don't know AC's policy but I wanted to respond so you were aware it varies by airline.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Check AC"s policy. That is all that matters.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Check AC"s policy. That is all that matters.
Which is found where?
arf04 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is found where?
I've been searching for it for you but haven't found it yet. I did find multiple old threads (2012, 2014, etc) where someone stated that you weren't allowed to check bags through Canadian airports overnight, but I haven't found a link to an actual policy (current or otherwise).
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I've been searching for it for you but haven't found it yet. I did find multiple old threads (2012, 2014, etc) where someone stated that you weren't allowed to check bags through Canadian airports overnight, but I haven't found a link to an actual policy (current or otherwise).
I am getting same results, and I know typically they wont store luggage overnight in Canada, but it's Taipei in my specific case where I want to do this. I did find one post that alluded tos someone checking bags overnight to an Asian destination, but there was insufficient details in the post to really state it was correct procedure.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am getting same results, and I know typically they wont store luggage overnight in Canada, but it's Taipei in my specific case where I want to do this. I did find one post that alluded tos someone checking bags overnight to an Asian destination, but there was insufficient details in the post to really state it was correct procedure.
Hope you can find the correct answer either way.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

We stored bags at a LHR storage store, at 12.5 lbs/ea, rather than dragging them to hotel in London.
12.5 lbs isn't that heavy. i would have just carried them to the hotel.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by BenSenise
12.5 lbs isn't that heavy. i would have just carried them to the hotel.
They were 50 lbs in weight, and cost 12.5 British pounds each. We did lug an extra bag each (in addition to our original carry-on).

We had really thought they'd check through, but found out they don't.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

They were 50 lbs in weight, and cost 12.5 British pounds each.
i figured that that was what you meant and i was actually teasing you . Pounds Sterling cannot abbreviated "lbs." It's a no-no. GBP is the official International Standards Organization (ISO) abbreviation.
Jebby_ca, jc94 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
i figured that that was what you meant and i was actually teasing you . Pounds Sterling cannot abbreviated "lbs." It's a no-no. GBP is the official International Standards Organization (ISO) abbreviation.
Alt+0163

££££££££
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.