Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding due to boarding pass link not working ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding due to boarding pass link not working ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are there no kiosks at SJC? Usually I do my best to avoid contact with any human airline employees for this very reason. If there were kiosks, the OP's friend should have gone directly there and not the counter - even after being denied at the counter, they could have used a kiosk to reprint the BP.

I've been in a similar situation with Delta, and when refused by the agent, I just ignored them, found a kiosk and reprinted from there and went on my way.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
The PAX went online, provided a PNR, last name, email address, and checked into his/her flight. After these very deliberate actions, the PAX reasonably assumed check in was complete. It should not matter if they clicked a link in the email or not — they were checked in.

The PAX is not to blame for not clicking any link prior to arriving at the airport. If this was a requirement it should have been mentioned in the check-in process AND in the email. And, even then, the agent at the airport should have assisted a customer who had a valid ticket for the flight.

Although I can understand the benefits of having the PAX click a link, this is no different than a PAX losing their paper boarding pass — it happens and staff need to be prepared for it.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If this were AC staff, I'd say there was a miscommunication. The agents thought the passenger was not checked in, and didn't understand he just needed a BP.

But it was contract staff. So who knows. I'm a little surprised they were still at the desk but unable to help. I'd have a lot less sympathy if they had simply been gone, but they weren't.

Sigh.

I had a similar issue at SFO once, but the concierge saved me.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by j_the_p
Maybe this isn't IDB by the posted definition, but then... what is it? If the OPs story is accurate, the passenger was denied boarding and it was involuntary.
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I don't understand how this isn't an agent, and therefore a company, issue. If the affected traveler returns to the check-in counter prior to the cutoff time - as inferred in the original post - there is no valid reason they shouldn't issue a new BP. Holding an electronic vs paper boarding pass is immaterial.

I hope the traveler receives reimbursement of all expenses and significant compensation for an entire wasted day.
The IDB laws were written to disincentivize the overbooking of flights for airlines and provide consequences for what were essentially intentional cases of IDB (the airline books it this way with the knowledge that people will be IDB). They don't have a law in the US (EU is different obviously) to provide compensation for things that are within airline control but unintentional, such as software glitches, mechanical delays, and GA idiocy, as long as the airline gets the pax to the destination. Most airlines have the practice, in those cases of "within airline control but unintentional", to make people whole for their hard costs such as hotel, food, and necessary purchases on the overnight but not for lost time, etc. It seems to me that this falls into that case where the airline should reimburse for hotel and meals, but asking for additional compensation is inconsistent with generally accepted practice. So yes, he was "denied boarding" and it was "involuntary," but it's not the situation that the DOT was trying to remedy when they made the regulation since it was an error.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by YYC009
I still use paper boarding passes for this very reason (and in case my phone battery dies). Old fashion, but it works.
I do both, with one paper copy in my pocket and another in my carry-on. If I can, I use the app, and leave all the paperwork undisturbed.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
I don't get the IDB argument. To be involuntarily denied boarding you have to have met all the conditions per the tariff.
The customer did not arrive at the gate and was ready to board by -15min to departure, which is in the tariff.
End of story.

Now, there are many reasons why a customer may not be at the gate, some of their own accord, some because of someone else, and some because of the airline, but regardless of the fact, IDB boarding is a tariff issue and AC did not violate the tariff.

Was this a customer service fail? Sure sounds like it. So treat it accordingly and offer appropriate goodwill customer service recovery compensation.

But to insist on a legally defined process where no tariff breach occurred, that is stepping into an ugly grey area that could set precedence for unintended consequences down the road.
skybluesea, wrp96 and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:42 am

I would never rely solely on a link. I always store the BP in my wallet, and also email myself a PDF of the boarding pass. For international travel, I take it a step further and print out a paper boarding pass. 999 times out of 1,000, these extra safeguards are not needed, but it just takes seconds to create a Plan B and Plan C.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Live and learn. You should never trust an emailed or texted BP link. You should verify your boarding pass before you get to the airport, screenshot it or import it into your phone. And make sure your phone is charged. I always print a copy too, the key thing you do not want is what happened here, or that your phone has an issue and you have no phone at all.

i think the airline could have handled it better, but it could have been easily avoided by the flyer.

i had this happen to me once years ago but I had a paper copy to back me up at security and made it through.

Patrick
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by TIGA31328
i think the airline could have handled it better, but it could have been easily avoided by the flyer.
This is blaming traveler, when AC or their local contract staff could have easily called the gate and confirmed traveler was on the manifest.

Then, a hand-printed BP could have been put together, and staff could have walked the traveler to TSA, spoke to Supervisor , and away they go.

A paper backup for a system that is fully digital in nature?

Relying on a single paper token to get through process when so many other things can go wrong with digital and/or customer service process - fill your boots if this makes you feel better.

ps...if you lose your paper BP, your still going back to check-in/kiosk???
Dolphin2, wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Another data point. My spouse was traveling mid-day yesterday and did the OLCI via mobile phone on Wednesday evening and per our SOP requested electronic boarding pass via SMS. The message was promptly sent and received, containing the boarding pass link. Clicking on the boarding pass link resulted in a message pop-up indicating that an update to the Air Canada was required due to the recent security breach. Unfortunately the mobile device is a corporate device that is locked down, so it wasn't possible to update the Air Canada app until it was pushed from corporate IT.

The only workaround was to use a desktop PC, go through OLCI again and print paper boarding pass(es).
skybluesea and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YYC009
I don't get the IDB argument.
Let me start by saying that I've learnt a lot from this thread. And, for the purpose of this reply, and this reply alone, let's put all that new knowledge aside

When a layperson like me sees "IDB" and understands that those letters mean "involuntary denied boarding," it's not a giant leap of English to associate that acronym with this situation.

Despite not meeting the specific definition of IDB which has been explained many times here (thanks, everyone!), OP's colleague was literally involuntarily denied boarding. It shouldn't be hard to understand why the argument is being made: not everyone, including yours truly, understood the very narrow scope of that combination of words as it relates to the the commercial aviation world.
j_the_p, Twickenham and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
My thoughts

Sounds very, very strange all around.

However - one think that I now do (it is actually recommended in the AA mobile ap). When you get your e- boarding pass on your phone - screen shot the boarding pass. Takes seconds, and now you only have to worry about losing your phone and such. I really recommend this, as I have had the link fail more than once.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm not so sure.
The iOS wallet appears to have the same issue.
Aren't iOS wallet passes saved locally and therefore not affected by connection issues?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA LT-PLAT 6MIL
I haven't read the full thread so sorry if this is a duplicate answer:
I once had a problem pulling up the boarding pass on my phone at the gate. The GA suggested that next time I make sure I follow all the steps all the way through and then take a screen shot of the boarding pass. That way it is on your phone no matter what. I can't remember if she then helped me get a paper pass or if the link finally worked, but I didn't miss the flight.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wds17
Aren't iOS wallet passes saved locally and therefore not affected by connection issues?
Saved locally by default and optionally saved to iCloud and pushed to other devices.

I won't tell people not to take screenshots (or go for an actual printout) if it offers additional peace of mind, but once a pass is in iOS Wallet, its availability is not dependent on cellular connectivity. Battery, yes, but cellular no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.