Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding due to boarding pass link not working ?

Denied boarding due to boarding pass link not working ?

Old Aug 30, 18, 11:26 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 6,247
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
This.
The GA claims the flight was now 'closed' so the passenger was late when he came to the counter. However the passenger already had a BP (which now did not work). So really there should have been no need to even go to the counter since there were no checked bags. He only needed to go to the counter because the BP link would not work at security. Failure of AC staff to remedy an issue caused by the airline and then blame the passenger.
Was he actually able to show the BP? Or not even pull it up at all? Had he been able to pull it up before arriving to the airport? If he didnít check it, then how does he know he actually had a BP? If he did check it and actually saw it, a screenshot would have been prudent.
Finkface is online now  
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:31 am
  #32  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,835
Let's not blame the victim. The agent should have been able to see on the computer system that the OP indeed did complete OLCI, but the agent was too lazy to try to check.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:37 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AC E35K
Posts: 5,164
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Was he actually able to show the BP? Or not even pull it up at all? Had he been able to pull it up before arriving to the airport? If he didnít check it, then how does he know he actually had a BP? If he did check it and actually saw it, a screenshot would have been prudent.
I was wondering along the same line. Could this have been one of those "Check in Confirmations" instead of a boarding pass?

Check in deadline is 60 minutes for Transborder flights, which includes obtaining a boarding pass.

If they didn't download the BP before the cutoff, they may have been declared a no show.
ChrisA330 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:45 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YQB
Programs: AC E75K
Posts: 2,012
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
The Android app stores it locally after checking in on the app. It's in menu\boarding passes. I just got off a flight, and still have 2 boarding passes ready to go on the app.
Actually, I just realized that was easy enough to test. I switched my phone to airplane mode, loaded the app and sure enough my BPs are there. So there is no need for a connection to access them.
jasdou is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:47 am
  #35  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,761
Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post
I was wondering along the same line. Could this have been one of those "Check in Confirmations" instead of a boarding pass?

Check in deadline is 60 minutes for Transborder flights, which includes obtaining a boarding pass.

If they didn't download the BP before the cutoff, they may have been declared a no show.
I saw the screen shot of the email. It is the email the you get when you check in and has a link to click for the boarding pass. The specific line says 'Click the link below from your mobile device to retrieve your electronic boarding pass.
His checkin sequence number was 035 which is also in the email along with his seat selection.
So yes, he checked in and yes he had a electronic BP.
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:49 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 6,247
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
I saw the screen shot of the email. It is the email the you get when you check in and has a link to click for the boarding pass. The specific line says 'Click the link below from your mobile device to retrieve your electronic boarding pass.
His checkin sequence number was 035 which is also in the email along with his seat selection.
So yes, he checked in and yes he had a electronic BP.
But did he actually click the link and see the boarding prior to going to the airport? That was what I asked. If he did, great. If he didnít, then how does he know he actually did have a boarding pass?
Finkface is online now  
Old Aug 30, 18, 12:06 pm
  #37  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,761
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
But did he actually click the link and see the boarding prior to going to the airport? That was what I asked. If he did, great. If he didnít, then how does he know he actually did have a boarding pass?
I do not know if he clicked the link before arriving at the airport. I still think its a moot point. If AC sends you a email that says you are checked in with a link to the boarding pass then why do you have to check it? I mean do we have to check printed boarded passes to make sure they are not fake ? I have done this several times - checked in got the email with the link and open it just before security. I am not sure why there seems to be an opinion that a AC IT fail is the customers problem for not checking and taking a screen shot.
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 12:10 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AC E35K
Posts: 5,164
I don't think anyone is saying this is the customer's problem (I'm certainly not), but I'm not so sure it's an IT fail either.

I wouldn't be surprised if AC requires you to have downloaded the BP prior to the check in cutoff. That could explain why the link didn't work. If that is the case, the instructions need to be way more clear.

I hope you report back here once your friend has received an official response from AC.
ChrisA330 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 12:16 pm
  #39  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,761
Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying this is the customer's problem (I'm certainly not), but I'm not so sure it's an IT fail either.

I wouldn't be surprised if AC requires you to have downloaded the BP prior to the check in cutoff. That could explain why the link didn't work. If that is the case, the instructions need to be way more clear.

I hope you report back here once your friend has received an official response from AC.
This may be the most logical explanation. I have not seen anything from AC saying you have to download the BP before any set time. Only you have to be at the gate 30 mins before dep for US-Canada flights and he was most certainly there well before that. As per canadiancow, Y went out full but there was space in J. I hope this was not a convenient way to avoid IDB. All sorts of weird stuff happen at outstations. I will most certainly report back. My friend did call AC and was told to go fill out the on-line form so may have to wait a few months for a resolution. FYI he is E50K.
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 12:31 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YYZ/YVR
Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Posts: 1,524
Maybe this isn't IDB by the posted definition, but then... what is it? If the OPs story is accurate, the passenger was denied boarding and it was involuntary.
j_the_p is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 12:35 pm
  #41  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,835
In the USA, IDB has a precise technical/legal definition and requires certain published procedures, compensation, and reporting to a government regulation. It's much more than just a matter of the airline not letting a passenger on a flight.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 1:05 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 3,403
TL;dr, to be denied boarding one otherwise must be entitled to board.
board.

The story here may be a glitch or an error. I would expect AC (and regulators) to treat it more seriously then a routine IDB.
RangerNS is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:13 pm
  #43  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Posts: 2,479
Well, TSA not letting anyone by without proper confirmation - and AC can authorize hand-written BP with sequence number etc. and escort passenger to TSA supervisor and explain situation.

Obviously AC local staff are less than preoccupied with getting customers on their way.

How about we hear from traveler once complaint responded to by AC
skybluesea is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 4:07 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Traveling the World
Posts: 5,441
I believe Air Canada owes your colleague a free hotel room, Meal Vouchers, Denied Boarding Compensation to take the later flight and transportation to and from the hotel as well. It was beyond your colleague's control about the boarding pass link but if it were me I would not wait until 45 minutes to clear security especially on a flight to Canada where they close the flight earlier for Customs and security purposes!

A reprint of a boarding pass should have been done as the passenger was checked in. Was the passport verified by a ticket counter agent? This is the only reason that the link was not working because if the reservation said"See Agent or tis is not a boarding pass".
danielonn is offline  
Old Aug 30, 18, 5:03 pm
  #45  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,761
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I believe Air Canada owes your colleague a free hotel room, Meal Vouchers, Denied Boarding Compensation to take the later flight and transportation to and from the hotel as well. It was beyond your colleague's control about the boarding pass link but if it were me I would not wait until 45 minutes to clear security especially on a flight to Canada where they close the flight earlier for Customs and security purposes!

A reprint of a boarding pass should have been done as the passenger was checked in. Was the passport verified by a ticket counter agent? This is the only reason that the link was not working because if the reservation said"See Agent or tis is not a boarding pass".
Thanks,
My colleague and myself fly to the US on work at least 12 times a year. We know the process. Doc check is done at the gate unless you have a checked bag which he did not. SSSS means you do not get a BP email till you see the GA. None of this happened here. I have seen the 'this is not a BP email' and most definitely this email had the BP link. My colleague flies to SJC regularly, is E50 with AC, has Nexus, has the AC app. This is different.
vernonc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: