Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding due to boarding pass link not working ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding due to boarding pass link not working ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by vernonc
Ok. So not sure what to call it then. Perhaps someone can check if the flight was oversold, the flight number is in my original post.
The only way you'll find out if it was oversold is from an AC employee. There is no way for the general public to tell.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Here is definition from US DOT - and so a claim must meet THIS test that was flight oversold.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ping-oversales

OP has not demonstrated the flight was oversold.

So until we have facts that state flight was oversold, then NOT IDB
There could be different Canadian regulations that apply here.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by vernonc
Ok. So not sure what to call it then. Perhaps someone can check if the flight was oversold, the flight number is in my original post.
How about calling it a fail on the part of the agent? Seems simple enough to me.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by fotographer
me too along with my wife, maybe I am showing my age, but have never been comfortable with using my phone for boarding passes
I get on about 400 planes a year, and always use my phone. I always download the BP the day prior to flight, though, just to ensure that everything worked smoothly. I am also aware that, if I happen to be chosen for SSSS, I won't be able to download the boarding pass. To each his own, but the process is there, and it should work. The agent should also be prepared to help, when the process fails.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYC009
I still use paper boarding passes for this very reason (and in case my phone battery dies). Old fashion, but it works.
exactly. too many potential points of failure. internet connection, battery, login, app data corruption, etc. for what i see as little to no benefit which is only not needing to print.

same reason i don't use the payment apps on my phone. i don't see any advantage over pulling my credit card out of my wallet.

by no means am i a technophobe. just very objective in identifying added value in a process.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I understand that some prefer to use paper BP. But that's not the issue here. AC has provided a option to use your app for boarding pass (which was not working as per the data breach fiasco) and emailed boarding pass (which also did not work at the airport). I think the failure here is the AC employee (contract) who refused to open the flight for a BP reprint when clearly the customer has a email with a BP where the link does not work. The agent could also reprint the BP from the gate and bring it back to the customer if they did not want to reopen the flight. Rebooking them the next morning seems like punting the problem.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
How about calling it a fail on the part of the agent? Seems simple enough to me.
Yes.
This thread should serve as a warning to others incl myself to screen save the BP as we obviously cannot rely on AC IT.
I want to see what happens regarding compensation. 12 hour delay. Overnight hotel stay. Meals. Uber. Not to mention the inconvenience. I hope AC does not use the 'you arrived after cutoff time' excuse.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
me too along with my wife, maybe I am showing my age, but have never been comfortable with using my phone for boarding passes
I've used nothing but my phone for 2 years now and have never had an issue. But, as others have said, I always ensure I have a local copy on my phone and do not rely on an internet connection or link working.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AC SE
Doesn't the app now store the BPs locally when you use it to check-in, eliminating the need to grab screenshots? I think you even have the option to send BPs directly to the wallet.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I get the BP on phone, put into wallet, take a screenshot, then print a paper one.

Except when AC is incapable of printing the BP. Whereupon I use my phone and hope no one drops it.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:39 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jasdou
Doesn't the app now store the BPs locally when you use it to check-in, eliminating the need to grab screenshots? I think you even have the option to send BPs directly to the wallet.
I'm not so sure.

I kinda gave up on the iOS app while standing in the Security line at YXE in an apparent dead zone with zero connectivity and nearly missing my flight because they wouldn't let me go through without a BP. The iOS wallet appears to have the same issue.

Connectivity is never assured in the mobile world - maybe 5G will cure this along with world hunger.

If I do OLCI via the app, I now grab a screenshot of the BP as well. But a paper BP doesn't need connectivity, it only needs visible light.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
The Android app stores it locally after checking in on the app. It's in menu\boarding passes. I just got off a flight, and still have 2 boarding passes ready to go on the app.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I don't understand how this isn't an agent, and therefore a company, issue. If the affected traveler returns to the check-in counter prior to the cutoff time - as inferred in the original post - there is no valid reason they shouldn't issue a new BP. Holding an electronic vs paper boarding pass is immaterial.

I hope the traveler receives reimbursement of all expenses and significant compensation for an entire wasted day.
vernonc and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Flight left full in Y, but with some empties in J.

​​​​​ So it does not meet the definition of IDB.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I don't understand how this isn't an agent, and therefore a company, issue. If the affected traveler returns to the check-in counter prior to the cutoff time - as inferred in the original post - there is no valid reason they shouldn't issue a new BP. Holding an electronic vs paper boarding pass is immaterial.

I hope the traveler receives reimbursement of all expenses and significant compensation for an entire wasted day.
This.
The GA claims the flight was now 'closed' so the passenger was late when he came to the counter. However the passenger already had a BP (which now did not work). So really there should have been no need to even go to the counter since there were no checked bags. He only needed to go to the counter because the BP link would not work at security. Failure of AC staff to remedy an issue caused by the airline and then blame the passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.