Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Email regarding compromised App data

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email regarding compromised App data

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
So it appears that 20K approx accounts were hacked. Assuming this number is correct. OR as AC says, may or may not have been hacked. More important is it seems that everything except credit cards may have been hacked. This includes Name, DOB, email address, phone number, Nexus/passport info, etc. See below. Just fricking awesome.

What information may have been accessed?
Basic profile data stored on the Air Canada mobile App account includes your name, email address, and telephone number.

Information that you may have added to your profile includes: Aeroplan number, Passport number, NEXUS number, Known Traveler Number, gender, birthdate, nationality, passport expiration date, passport country of issuance and country of residence.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Good idea but no. Aeroplan/ACAltitude/eUpgrade password unchanged. I tested the sites before everything went down.
I was able to login into mobile+ and activate the touch ID using the new password. But I still get asked to change it!
I have no idea what is going on but I won't change anything anymore for the time being.
I have the same issue as you. I reset the password, but I cannot get into the Flight Pass App or the Air Canada app.
The Aeroplan app tells me that they are having technical issues

It's a good job I don't have to book a flight today!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Tweet response from AC is their system is being flooded: “As many people are trying to access the same page at the same time, it generates a lot of traffic at the same time. I suggest trying to access your account later”.

BTW just received an email from AC inviting me to register to win gift cards! Maybe this should have been put off until we can fix our mobile passwords!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by vernonc
So it appears that 20K approx accounts were hacked.
Well, AC used the word "confident" in their notice about how many affected.

Rather, AC did NOT use the word "certain", which would provide far more clarity.

btw...while "confident" means "self-assured", but since AC pledges all over the place to take care of the data entrusted to them, how can any customers be confident about AC promises going forward???

I agree with @Stranger, AC needs feet held to the fire either via the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, or even via the courts, if applicable.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:36 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Tweet response from AC is their system is being flooded: “As many people are trying to access the same page at the same time, it generates a lot of traffic at the same time. I suggest trying to access your account later”.
Great.

Not only was/is it insecure, it doesn't scale either. Simply brilliant.

I'm very happy that whoever designed this and thought it was good is not on any of my teams.

As an aside, I wonder how their GDPR audit is going ...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: TK *G
I wish AC can provide more info about what part of the system got accessed and what exactly did this unauthorized access happen.

Someone guessed the password and private keys to database containing user info? Someone found a way to compromise the normal authentication flow of the app? Someone somehow guessed the password of 20K users?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: E35
It's a good reminder to check if your account has been part of a larger hack as well (LinkedIn or Adobe are two of the big ones). These guys aren't "hacking" AC, they're just running massive login lists against the app to see who still uses the same password on multiple sites. https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a good place to check.

That being said, it's on AC to monitor their web traffic for this sort of high volume login attack. I got an email from PC Optimum this week for the same issue, so I'm guessing these guys were taking a run at a bunch of retailers.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:41 am

Another reason to ensure that EVERY password is unique. And use a password manager if you need to.

Of course, all of us here do this already, but I also still know lots of 'IT professionals' who rely on the re-use of the same, arguably complex passwords across multiple accounts.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by skybluesea
and why did it take 5 days to advise?

Did AC notice right away and tried to keep this quiet, but found scope too big?

Did AC NOT notice and were asleep at the switch?

As my notice says NOT AFFECTED, I do NOT have standing to complain, but for those of you who have received notice that your affected, may I suggest you make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/for-individuals/

And let's hang on as just because AC says only 20,000 accounts affected, who knows once this gets more scrutiny.
I got an email saying my account was one of the breached accounts and they they have my passport, nexus, personal information excluding credit cards. I will be making a complaint... at the very least Air Canada should offer to pay for credit score/report monitoring.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Maybe AC can contact T-Mobile and PC Shoppers Optimum and they can do a group solve. OTOH......
cvkyyz likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
I got an email saying my account was one of the breached accounts and they they have my passport, nexus, personal information excluding credit cards. I will be making a complaint... at the very least Air Canada should offer to pay for credit score/report monitoring.
Here is a link to how to proceed with making a complaint to the office of the Privacy Commissioner - https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/report-a-c...-under-pipeda/

Hope this is helpful information for those who have had their accounts breached - it took me a while to find it so my intent is to save you that hassle
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:58 am

... at the very least Air Canada should offer to pay for credit score/report monitoring.
They just might do that. But be aware that this is just a bandaid at best.

Brian Krebs has this good piece on why credit monitoring is less than effective. This Q&A was was triggered by the Equifax breach, but it's still good info to have.

Sadly credit security freezes are not available in Canada because the banks simply don't want to do it.
BarrieTravelGuy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:58 am

Pitiful...just pitiful!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I just called the phone number that was in my email from Air Canada telling me I had one of the breached accounts. The person was very misleading - told me the only thing they had was my name, phone number and email. I said what about passport, nexus, etc? He said "That was all encrypted... nothing they can do with it?. When I asked why they said the passport info was low risk - why would it be any risk if they can't get the info?? Then he started to back track and said that yes - if your profile had Aeroplan number, Passport number, NEXUS number, Known Traveler Number, gender, birth date, nationality, passport expiration date, passport country of issuance and country of residence - then they did get that info. I was told to change my aeroplan password immediately as someone may take my points. ... - it didn't say anything about that in the email. Who is running this thing??
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
This. Where is the offer for credit report monitoring ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.