Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thank you YHZ MLL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
There are the fare rules for Flex:
  • Same-day confirmed changes at check-in or at the airport are permitted at a flat fee of $75 CAD/USD per direction, per passenger (subject to availability). Same-day flights only.
  • Same-day standby is available: on flights between Toronto and Montréal or Ottawa, on flights between Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, as well as on flights between Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and LaGuardia (LGA), John F. Kennedy (JFK) or Newark (EWR) airports (connecting flights excluded).
I appreciate that sometimes exceptions are made and you may be added to a standby list by helpful agents, per the explicit rules I don’t believe they are allowed. I’ve run into this many times when I want to get on an earlier flight (and I’m willing to pay the change fee) when it is oversold even with the help of the concierge (unless I’m in in business class) I’ve not been able to get confirmed on the flight or on the standby list. Clearly exceptions are made for various reasons, but I wouldn’t count on it.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
There are the fare rules for Flex:
  • Same-day confirmed changes at check-in or at the airport are permitted at a flat fee of $75 CAD/USD per direction, per passenger (subject to availability). Same-day flights only.
  • Same-day standby is available: on flights between Toronto and Montréal or Ottawa, on flights between Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, as well as on flights between Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and LaGuardia (LGA), John F. Kennedy (JFK) or Newark (EWR) airports (connecting flights excluded).
I appreciate that sometimes exceptions are made and you may be added to a standby list by helpful agents, per the explicit rules I don’t believe they are allowed. I’ve run into this many times when I want to get on an earlier flight (and I’m willing to pay the change fee) when it is oversold even with the help of the concierge (unless I’m in in business class) I’ve not been able to get confirmed on the flight or on the standby list. Clearly exceptions are made for various reasons, but I wouldn’t count on it.
And if an exception was made against policy in this case, OP's well-intentioned post may have just gotten the lounge agent disciplined.

Hope that's not the case and that OP was traveling on a Comfort/Latitude/Business(not discounted) fare.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:28 am

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I was under the impression that you got standby in one of two ways. Either you purchased a fare that permitted SDCs and/or standbys or you are a *A Gold member which gives you Priority Standby out of the gate. That being said my experience with SDC and standbys are primarily limited to UA, which 99% of the time I book in the lowest fare economy (i.e. K/G).

-James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I was under the impression that you got standby in one of two ways. Either you purchased a fare that permitted SDCs and/or standbys or you are a *A Gold member which gives you Priority Standby out of the gate. That being said my experience with SDC and standbys are primarily limited to UA, which 99% of the time I book in the lowest fare economy (i.e. K/G).

-James
UA allows free standby for elite members. All that AC guarantees you is that if you are on standby for a flight you will be higher in priority than others of lowers status.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Hello all, OP here.

Some more facts / details about that fateful day:
  • I am *G / A75K
  • I am Aeroplan Diamond status
  • I am a CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege card holder
  • The ticket was booked as an Aeroplan redemption since this was a personal trip, in economy because no need for J on a short hop like that.
  • The MLL agent did not simply list me for standby, she made a phone call to a manager/supervisor / another higher up person, who authorized it.
  • The check-in agent was indeed polite, courteous where possible and did try her best to help me. I do not think that she is the problem, whoever trained her needs to be "refreshed"
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Hello all, OP here.

• I am *G / A75K
  • The ticket was booked as an Aeroplan redemption since this was a personal trip, in economy because no need for J on a short hop like that.
  • The MLL agent did not simply list me for standby, she made a phone call to a manager/supervisor / another higher up person, who authorized it.
  • The check-in agent was indeed polite, courteous where possible and did try her best to help me. I do not think that she is the problem, whoever trained her needs to be "refreshed"
Consider yourself lucky then, because AE tickets are not allowed to standby, especially in Y. Exceptions are made from time to time, and looks like you got one of those.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Hello all, OP here.

• I am *G / A75K
Sorry, but the agent needs no training...she was following the rules. Your status Altitude or Aeroplan, or what credit card you hold do not entitle you to standby on an Aeroplan Y ticket. Nor did it entitle you to check in more than 12 hours ahead of time with an agent.

You were in the wrong the entire time, and you just didn't like the answers you received.

There is no basis to write into AC for anything, unless it's to compliment the agent the broke the rules for you.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
What am I missing? That's your name.

You got a seat, as the other 6 people were also cleared onto the flight, or were removed from the list for some reason.
You aren't missing anything.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
In my experience, standby is always permitted if SDC is.

There may be a fee, but it's allowed.
Exactly, that has been my experience as well.

Originally Posted by jc94
Fair enough, I just wanted to ask the question. Consistent inconsistency seems to be AC 101 I often wonder if they provide more than a mornings training before throwing people out there and hoping they’ll find someone to ask on the job. I suspect you’ll get the generic thanks we’ll follow up note, and I’ll be honest it’s not like they can say anything else...

However, perhaps if they do follow up, it will make a difference. I’m not saying the agent needs dragging over the coals, but a gentle reminder to either learn the rules or check with ones supervisor would appear to be in order.

FWIW my occasional use of the YHZ priority lane was pleasant although they were unable to accommodate my request (which was technically against rules, I knew it, they knew it, but they were nice about it).
No worries
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
........ to compliment the agent the broke the rules for you.
She called a supervisor / higher up before doing anything. Chill.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Also, @ChrisA330, we don't know what the rule is. That a PAX is not entitled to some service does not say anything about if AC agents may, at their discretion, provide it.

Ultimately, AC got their cash (or pennies from AE) and moved @rafi2k6 from A to B. This may have helped AC in packing full the morning flight and leaving room for the later one. They lost out, only theoretically, on change frees, which I doubt rafi2k6 would have paid.

Everyone wins. It is, indeed, a customer service success story.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Also, @ChrisA330, we don't know what the rule is. That a PAX is not entitled to some service does not say anything about if AC agents may, at their discretion, provide it.

Ultimately, AC got their cash (or pennies from AE) and moved @rafi2k6 from A to B. This may have helped AC in packing full the morning flight and leaving room for the later one. They lost out, only theoretically, on change frees, which I doubt rafi2k6 would have paid.

Everyone wins. It is, indeed, a customer service success story.
Exactly, everyone was happy & they freed up a seat on the last flight out for an inevitable no-show / last minute.
I was not made to pay any fees either

Cheers!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: TK *G
There is a big difference between "your ticket does not allow standby" and "we don't do standby in YHZ". For this reason I still suggest OP to write in.
canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by songsc
There is a big difference between "your ticket does not allow standby" and "we don't do standby in YHZ". For this reason I still suggest OP to write in.
I might, but honestly, it all ended well so no harm no foul ��

Last edited by rafi2k6; Aug 30, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.