Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booking a BR ticket, connecting to an AC ticket. How are IRROPS handled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

Got to fly DPS-WAS on specific dates, and I'd like to avoid a 27-hour connection in Guangzhou.

If I book DPS-TPE on Eva, then a separate AC ticket departing 12 hours later for TPE-YVR-YYZ-BWI, what happens to my AC ticket if the BR flight misconnects?

Is there any form of protection / re-accommodation given that both carriers are *A, and I'm 50K?

Or is it the same as if the first leg were on any unrelated carrier, misconnect and you're out of luck?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:27 pm

Officially, if its all on the same PNR or linked PNR's, there's full protection. Shouldn't be a problem getting that all put onto one AC 014 ticket. Call Reservations if you can't get the website to spit it out.

Alliances aren't relevant, nor is your status. AC's IT integration is just as deep with AA, as it is BR.

Unofficially, if you have 2 separate tickets/PNRs and can get them linked at check-in, with the bags checked-through and BP's issued, you'll be taken care of, although perhaps not optimally. However, sometimes there are training/language/communications/policy barriers associated with such. So its not recommended.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by pitz
Unofficially, if you have 2 separate tickets/PNRs and can get them linked at check-in, with the bags checked-through and BP's issued, you'll be taken care of, although perhaps not optimally. However, sometimes there are training/language/communications/policy barriers associated with such. So its not recommended.
How many times do we need to go through this? If you have two separate tickets, then AC is NOT obliged to do anything. In practice, they will especially if traveling in business class.

In 2017, did DPS - HKG - YVR, with one ticket on Hong Kong Airlines, and the other AC, traveling in BIZ on both. In DPS, agent indicated that if I was NOT travelling in business they would NOT through check my bag. While I understand this is different than BR, but two tickets are two tickets.

OP, as you have twelve hours between flights, and DPS to TPE is about 5 hours if I recall correctly, you have plenty of time before departure in DPS to advise AC ahead of time if you see you will mis-connect, and then change your flight in advance, possibly by paying change fee.

I'm assuming your taking the late night departure out of DPS, arriving TPE early morning and then 6p departure trans-pac. Train service from TPE to main station pretty reliable and fast, and near the station are quite a few reasonably priced hotels if you need to get some sleep. Underground metro in TPE fast and air-conditioned so getting around town easy. I head for area around Taipei 101, lots of shops, restaurants, etc. - and my favourite place to eat in that area is Jumbo Seafood, chain out of Singapore.

have a great trip, and with twelve hours, lots of time to be prepared for a possible mis-connect.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by skybluesea
I'm assuming your taking the late night departure out of DPS, arriving TPE early morning and then 6p departure trans-pac.
Arrive TPE 21:45, dep TPE 15:55.

Even if the original aircraft is unflyable, there should be enough time to fly in a spare and get me to TPE in time.

I don't expect AC to be *obliged* to do anything for me, I'm just wondering whether there's any difference between an incoming *A flight and an incoming OAL flight, as far as AC saying "we know you're coming, we'll help if we can but we're not holding the plane for you."
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I don't expect AC to be *obliged* to do anything for me, I'm just wondering whether there's any difference between an incoming *A flight and an incoming OAL flight, as far as AC saying "we know you're coming, we'll help if we can but we're not holding the plane for you."
IF you anticipate a delay of 18 hours, might your credit card cover replacement economy ticket to get you DPS-TPE?

mine requires delay in excess of 6 hours to activate insurance.

good luck
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
YOWgary, you should be okay. I wouldn't worry about the BR flight delay, as AC's TPE-YVR flight is consistently late. You should have no problems making your connection. Furthermore, by the time your BR flight lands in TPE, you can begin checking the flight status of the YVR-TPE flight to prepare alternate plans if required.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is there any form of protection / re-accommodation given that both carriers are *A, and I'm 50K?
Arrive TPE 21:45, dep TPE 15:55.

Even if the original aircraft is unflyable, there should be enough time to fly in a spare and get me to TPE in time.

I too am interested to know if having *G/E50K (or higher?) status *could* be of some assistance here (airline obligations aside). Any first hand experience? I think this is what the OP was curious about.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The airlines will always try and be reasonable, and more reasonable to someone with high status. YMMV depending on the agents mood, your attitude, and a million other factors.

If it is a routine business meeting, a routine consulting engagement, a routine sales call or a long vacation, don't worry about it. The airlines and/or CC insurance will take care of you. You will eventually get there, or get paid out.

If you are going to a wedding, a funeral, the big final sales closer or some other actually time critical event, don't count on it. For that matter, book a day earlier.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: *$ Green
The only real answer to YOWGary's answer is that you are SOL.

Anything else is pretty much anecdotal evidence and exceptions made to help the passenger.

That being said, you will always be better off if you are connecting airline X to airline Y, and ask airline Y to reprotect you on an airline Y only itinerary.
​​​​​​
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
Shouldn't be a problem getting that all put onto one AC 014 ticket. Call Reservations if you can't get the website to spit it out.
This.

I'm not sure why you'd even want to bother with 2 separate tickets. AC and BR interline with each other. Either phone AC or call a competent TA and they should be able to book this for you under a single ticket. If that happens, you'll be protected, etc.

IMHO I'd only purchase separate tickets if one of the carriers was non-IATA, or didn't have an interline agreement with the other carrier. Some carriers have fares that incur a surcharge for certain discounted fares if the ticket isn't on their own stock, but IIRC those surcharges are typically (relatively) fairly small. Price your ticket using ITA Matrix to confirm acceptable pricing and get it all on 1 ticket.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG USER
This.

I'm not sure why you'd even want to bother with 2 separate tickets. AC and BR interline with each other. Either phone AC or call a competent TA and they should be able to book this for you under a single ticket. If that happens, you'll be protected, etc.
Actually it's not so easy to get this on a single ticket. AC and BR don't really like each other.

But I have been wondering why the OP does not take the connecting BR flight. Which I seem to recall leaves plenty of time for connection, leaving around midnight or so. Of course the OP might need AQDs or something like that...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:26 pm

If the fares aren't mixing well, a workaround is to just book the intra-Asia flight in Y. Many (most?) Y fares are mix able with anything, but you'll be stuck with an open jaw on the other end which may or may not be easy to price.

The whole thing isn't super cost efficient, but it makes for an easy solution if cost isn't a biggest of concerns.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
YOWGary needs to fly DPS-WAS. The single ticket option would be BR DPS-TPE-SFO/LAX/SEA connecting onto one single UA for the remaining segment. Unfortunately the routing rules for the BR B/Y fares haven't been updated to include possible connections at ORD/IAH/NYC. Still, IAD is a UA hub, so finding a direct flight from SEA/LAX to WAS shouldn't be difficult; SFO-IAD should be even easier.

If it was up to me, I'd probably buy DPS-TPE-JFK B fare connecting onto a domestic EWR-IAD UA ticket and use AE points to upgrade the TPE-JFK segment (17.5 hour flight).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
If the fares aren't mixing well, a workaround is to just book the intra-Asia flight in Y. Many (most?) Y fares are mix able with anything, but you'll be stuck with an open jaw on the other end which may or may not be easy to price.

The whole thing isn't super cost efficient, but it makes for an easy solution if cost isn't a biggest of concerns.
Where were you when @YOWgary started this thread?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Where were you when @YOWgary started this thread?
I have no idea. I have been too busy. I feel bad because I think I may have missed it in the "other forum".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.