Search

Big Favour: AP Booking Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Big Favour: AP Booking Question

Hello FT!

I'm trying to redeem 330k miles to fly my parents and me to Europe in J over the Christmas / New Years holidays. Our dates are somewhat flexible, we'd like to go for about 10 days, and ultimate destination can be anywhere within driving distance of Alpe di Suisi (MUC, ZRH, MXP, INN, VCE, etc.).

Challenge is I'd be leaving from SFO while they're starting in YOW. I'm not too fussed if some of the domestic segments are in Y as long as the TATL leg is in J for all of us (on the same flight).

I don't mind using my Priority Rewards, but don't think that's possible if these have to be separate bookings. I'd also like to avoid the telephone booking fee if possible.

I've found availability for 3 for YYZ-FRA and YYZ-LHR. But I'm wondering if I go ahead and book (as an example) YOW-YYZ-FRA-MUC for my parents (taking away 2 J seats), is it likely that the remaining J award seat available will be gone when I turn around and try to book SFO-YYZ-FRA-MUC?

Is the best way to do this just to call in and pay the phone fee?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Last edited by capedreamer; Aug 25, 2018 at 9:01 am Reason: Dumb typo
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. You mean transat, not tranpac presumably?

2. If you have more than one priority reward you should be able to use these. For two separate bookings.

3. You might want to test using two different browsers or two different computers in parallel. Wait until you have both ready to be paid before going through that last step. (I often book one reward and one revenue on same or partially same itinerary; however in that case, one can always cancel revenue within 24 hours.)

4. Still, it might be safer to bite the bullet and pay the phoe fee.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
1. You mean transat, not tranpac presumably?

2. If you have more than one priority reward you should be able to use these. For two separate bookings.

3. You might want to test using two different browsers or two different computers in parallel. Wait until you have both ready to be paid before going through that last step. (I often book one reward and one revenue on same or partially same itinerary; however in that case, one can always cancel revenue within 24 hours.)

4. Still, it might be safer to bite the bullet and pay the phoe fee.
Haha, yes, TATL.

And thanks for the advice! Sounds like paying the phone fee is the right answer. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some 'hack' I wasn't aware of since I don't redeem often.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
These should be bookable online.

use Expertflyer (or similar) and you should be able to see how many Priority Reeards are available.

Watch for married segments- YYZ-LHR may be available but YOW-YYZ-LHR may not have the priority rewards available.

if you determine that there are three or more priority rewards available , you should see the number drop by two as you book your parents tickets.

remember LHR has big fees for premium cabins.

if you want me to look, they me know the dates.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber

use Expertflyer (or similar) and you should be able to see how many Priority Reeards are available.

Watch for married segments- YYZ-LHR may be available but YOW-YYZ-LHR may not have the priority rewards available.

if you determine that there are three or more priority rewards available , you should see the number drop by two as you book your parents tickets.

Thanks very much! I'll send you a PM.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:17 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Plumber

On EF , are you able to lok for "Priority" rewards , or just normal rewsrds?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You can't use international J IKK for your parents on a separate booking than yours.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You can't use international J IKK for your parents on a separate booking than yours.
Yeah - that's what I feared...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Book sth to fly to YOW first?
Then fly out with your parents, all on one booking - easier managed that way
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:59 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by RZR
On EF , are you able to lok for "Priority" rewards , or just normal rewsrds?
I believe Priority Rewards books into R class - n'est-ce pas?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I believe IKK books into R class - n'est-ce pas?
It books into I class with a fare basis code of IJBP00 (versus the regular IBP00).

Its availability is actually J class (but a different J than you can look up yourself), though it correlates quite heavily to R, as they're both basically "seats we're willing to give away without payment".
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:02 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
It books into I class with a fare basis code of IJBP00 (versus the regular IBP00).

Its availability is actually J class (but a different J than you can look up yourself), though it correlates quite heavily to R, as they're both basically "seats we're willing to give away without payment".
Good to know - thanks Cow!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it can as long as the SE is on at least part of the itinerary. Needs not be on same booking. Issue is though, how to get that done on aeroplan.com.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

I believe it can as long as the SE is on at least part of the itinerary. Needs not be on same booking. Issue is though, how to get that done on aeroplan.com.
Agent I spoke to said it was not possible. Guess I could have tried HUCA but I decided to just keep it simple.

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Book sth to fly to YOW first?
Then fly out with your parents, all on one booking - easier managed that way
Yup - that's what I ended up doing.

Booked a cheapo revenue ticket in United Economy to get myself to YOW (and back). And then the 3 of us are flying YOW-YYZ-MUC-YYZ-YOW in J.

AP balance down to a very pleasing 3,552 miles.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, everyone!
Jumper Jack and jc94 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:53 pm

If the SE is booked in JDCDZP on at least one international segment, you can do it.

Otherwise, it needs to be the same booking.

The one time I did this, I was in P, and they wanted the booking reference for my revenue ticket before they'd book my friend's.
DNAwizard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.