Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FRA > DTW > YYZ, LH & AC, baggage question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus

Today I’m flying FRA > DTW via LH, DTW > YYZ via AC.
It’s a 1 hour connection, my bag tags show that my bags go all the way to YYZ, but the check in agent said I might have to clear customs, pick up my bag, and check in again in DTW and didn’t give me a boarding pass for the AC flight (OLCI won’t let me check in either...)

is this even possible to do in an hour?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yosemite1
Today I’m flying FRA > DTW via LH, DTW > YYZ via AC.
It’s a 1 hour connection, my bag tags show that my bags go all the way to YYZ, but the check in agent said I might have to clear customs, pick up my bag, and check in again in DTW and didn’t give me a boarding pass for the AC flight (OLCI won’t let me check in either...)
is this even possible to do in an hour?
Appparently .. yes. If it’s one ticket you can be put on a later flight too if you do miss it.

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94

Appparently .. yes. If it’s one ticket you can be put on a later flight too if you do miss it.

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread
thanks, hopefully I can move quickly lol.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:35 pm

I’ve not done DTW personally, but I’ve done others. If it’s all on time and you’re prepared to motor should be fine. Worth looking up all other DTW YYZ
options just in case.

Especially as LH442 doesn’t seem to often arrive on time. But arriving at 1pm gives far more options than 11pm.

Good luck.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

I’ve not done DTW personally, but I’ve done others. If it’s all on time and you’re prepared to motor should be fine. Worth looking up all other DTW YYZ
options just in case.

Especially as LH442 doesn’t seem to often arrive on time. But arriving at 1pm gives far more options than 11pm.

Good luck.
turns out I have a 90 minute connection, so I should be okay if we land on time! Hopefully winds are in our favour.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:10 am

Having flown FRA to DTW on LH, I can tell you what the process looks like for connections:
  1. Clear US immigration (15-30 mins when I was there), if you're a Canuck like I am, follow signs for US citizens and/or use the Global Entry (which would probably take you 5 mins tops.
  2. Wait for baggage to arrive at carousel then clear customs
  3. Re-check bag for flight to YYZ
  4. Clear security at DTW
It is a bit tight, although if memory serves me correctly the * terminal at DTW isn't as long as the McNamara (i.e. NW) terminal. If everything is booked on one ticket you'll be 100% protected in the event of IRROPs. There are 9 non-stops daily to YYZ from DTW (incl 4 from AC and 5 from NW). Also depending on when you arrive you might also be able to convince AC to put you on the Via Rail service to Toronto since they have a re-protection agreement with them. In any event, you should be fine. I wouldn't sweat it at all.

One final note, there's an excellent LH lounge at DTW that'll be near the *A gates (i.e. gate 4?) that is open to *A Gold guests like yourself. Food and booze spread are significantly better than the UC and other *A DOM options available stateside.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
There are 9 non-stops daily to YYZ from DTW (incl 4 from AC and 5 from NW).

James
Time warp? NW????
shadowspar likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Flipping hell. LH442 arrived into DTW 40 mins late, by the time I whipped through baggage and customs and immigration (literally 10mins) the AC agents were already at the gate leaving check in abandonded.

now it’s looking like I’ll have to wait for a 6pm flight.

Any tips for this situation? Is this also EU261 claim worthy?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Flipping hell. LH442 arrived into DTW 40 mins late, by the time I whipped through baggage and customs and immigration (literally 10mins) the AC agents were already at the gate leaving check in abandonded.

now it’s looking like I’ll have to wait for a 6pm flight.

Any tips for this situation? Is this also EU261 claim worthy?
That's a significant issue at outstations. Once check-in for the last flight (of the day, or for the next while) closes, the agents leave check-in. I've hit that at SFO on days where 754 isn't running and I'm taking the last flight to YVR.

As for EC 261, it depends on whether the delay was "extraordinary" or not, but I suggest you contact LH once you know exactly how long your delayed arrival is.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's a significant issue at outstations. Once check-in for the last flight (of the day, or for the next while) closes, the agents leave check-in. I've hit that at SFO on days where 754 isn't running and I'm taking the last flight to YVR.

As for EC 261, it depends on whether the delay was "extraordinary" or not, but I suggest you contact LH once you know exactly how long your delayed arrival is.
thanks cow! Looks like I’ll arrive in YYZ around 8pm on AC7366.

so about... 5 hours late?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

thanks cow! Looks like I’ll arrive in YYZ around 8pm on AC7366.

so about... 5 hours late?
When you have an exact time (i.e. wait until tomorrow), then you can start with the email to Lufthansa. There are other good EC 261 resources out there, possibly even in the LH forum on FT. This isn't really an AC issue any more.

For future, don't accept not getting your onward BP with a connection that short. NH once didn't do it when I had 12 hours, but even yesterday going LH to UA with a 6 hour connection, they gave me both BPs. The check-in cutoff is 60 minutes, so 30 to deplane, go through immigration, and get to the check-in counter sounds very risky.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:30 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
This has been mentioned before, but a good general EC 261 thread is here: The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:47 pm

I guess I don’t see why FRA didn’t give you the BP. Or why it wasnt issued as a mobile one. But then EWR have proved incapable of the same thing before for me.

As long as the 40 mom delay wasn’t weather related, the fact that they didn’t get you a BP would seem, to my mind strengthen a EC261 claim. Worth an email anyway!

While, as remarked there are better places for LH EC261 queries an update here in a few weeks or months would be good. Hope you get home safe with any checked luggage soon.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I guess I don’t see why FRA didn’t give you the BP.
Anything involving FRA and AC wrt getting your connecting flight's boarding pass seems to be quite tough. Experienced this as recently as last month
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Anything involving FRA and AC wrt getting your connecting flight's boarding pass seems to be quite tough. Experienced this as recently as last month
Well the one I couldn’t get at EWR (from AC) was for a flight out of FRA fwiw. I got it at the FRA gate however as I didn’t have to go landside. I think I cleared security okay without one too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.