How long to get EU compensation?

Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC:50K
How long to get EU compensation?

Flight AC865 (LHR-YUL) on August 21st was delayed 5 hours due to mechanical issues. My understanding is that this entitles passengers to an automatic 600 EUR of compensation.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes to receive said compensation? I've never had the "pleasure" of having a flight delayed 4+ hours when leaving the EU before.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It’s not automatic, the airline is meant to tell you about it but won’t. You need to request it. I’d suggest starting with AC customer services.

There are threads about it, but if AC doesn’t decline your claim it may only be 6-8 weeks. 6-12 weeks seems fairly common from what I can recall.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC E75K; SPG Gold; IHG Ambassador; NEXUS
Originally Posted by cperciva
Flight AC865 (LHR-YUL) on August 21st was delayed 5 hours due to mechanical issues. My understanding is that this entitles passengers to an automatic 600 EUR of compensation.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes to receive said compensation? I've never had the "pleasure" of having a flight delayed 4+ hours when leaving the EU before.
You're certainly entitled to the compensation, and can request it through the regular "contact us" email portal. This has happened to me a few times. Once it took more than two months, more recently only 10 days. YMMV.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
It’s not automatic, the airline is meant to tell you about it but won’t. You need to request it. I’d suggest starting with AC customer services.
Right, I meant to say that I'd submitted a request via the 'customer service' portal. (As "Complaint -- Flight delay or cancellation" since there didn't seem to be any more relevant category.)

There are threads about it, but if AC doesn’t decline your claim it may only be 6-8 weeks. 6-12 weeks seems fairly common from what I can recall.
I searched but couldn't find any threads with times, only complaints about AC denying claims. Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
technically, EC 261 calls for following:
https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/services/air-travel_en
Is there any time limit during which a reimbursement of a flight should be paid?
Article 8.1 provides that re-imbursement of the flight and compensation payments provided for the in the Regulation should be made within seven days by cash, electronic bank transfer, bank orders or bank cheques or, with the signed agreement of the passenger, in travel vouchers and/or other services.

Suggest any communication with AC should include reminder of this statutory obligation, and hint ever so politely of further complaint to UK regulator for failing to meet payment deadline.

btw...have you written/electronic record directly from AC that delay was due to mechanical...this might have been communicated to you at the time, yet, maybe the source of delay by AC as they confirm...

What I do with problems related to EC/261 covered flights is ask either at check-in or gate for a Trip Interruption report, which again asking very politely have always printed for me.

of course, YMMV
pilot007 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

In case anyone finds this later and is interested: Six days after I submitted my request (citing EU Regulation 261/2004, the fact that the flight was departing the EU, and that it arrived over 4 hours late) I received this reply:

Thank you for taking your time to write to us about your flights in January. While we make every effort to operate our flights as scheduled, delays and cancellations are unavoidable parts of our business. Although safe travel must always be our first priority, it is our hope that when disruptions occur our staff will meet the needs of all affected customers in a professional manner.

In this instance, on a without prejudice basis you are entitled to the Right to Compensation as outlined in Article 7 of the Regulation(EC)261/2004. Specifically, you shall receive the compensation equivalent to EUR600.00 based on the distance of the flight and the delay which exceeded the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked by four hours.

The compensation shall be paid by bank draft. Please allow 4-6 for arrival via postal to the following address: <snip>
jc94 and pilot007 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
In case anyone finds this later and is interested: Six days after I submitted my request (citing EU Regulation 261/2004, the fact that the flight was departing the EU, and that it arrived over 4 hours late) I received this reply:
good news, stuff happens, AC made it right in a timely way.

strikes me from this AC response that many of the other complaints we see about lack of responsiveness possibly are because claims are NOT valid, or AC needs to investigate whether the claim falls within EC 261 requirements.

pleasant travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.