Wiki Posts
Search

P space available but waitlisted

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold
P space available but waitlisted

Not sure if anyone seen this issue before. I am trying to upgrade the following segment on a latitude fare:

AC 845 0 FRA
09/15/18 1:55 PM YYC
09/15/18 3:15 PM 789
Daily
58% / 21m
J9 C9 D7 Z7 P3 R0 O4 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U8 H7 Q4 V3 W2 S0 T0 L0 K0

AC's site is showing available for upgrade as well.

However, when I try to request the eUp it says waitlisted.

I tried concierge and they told me they can't see the space.
So strange. Has anyone seen this issue before?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by YYZ13
Not sure if anyone seen this issue before. I am trying to upgrade the following segment on a latitude fare:

AC 845 0 FRA
09/15/18 1:55 PM YYC
09/15/18 3:15 PM 789
Daily
58% / 21m
J9 C9 D7 Z7 P3 R0 O4 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U8 H7 Q4 V3 W2 S0 T0 L0 K0

AC's site is showing available for upgrade as well.

However, when I try to request the eUp it says waitlisted.

I tried concierge and they told me they can't see the space.
So strange. Has anyone seen this issue before?
Is Calgary your only destination? or are you connecting somewhere after Calgary? My guess is you're connecting somewhere and the devilish invention of Married Segment Logic is in play. When I look at FRA-YYC I see the P space. When I look at FRA-YLW (connecting on the same FRA-YYC flight) the P space is gone
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: AC MM+
HUCA and get the SE desk, explain, ask for this to be transferred to the NRD(National Resource Desk). I had to do this again last week. I'M not even sure a concierge can do this workaround to this bug. It has been a problem for years. If there is P space, it should be available.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: *$ Green
"SE Desk" can't fix it. "NRD YUL Lounge" neither. It's actually fixed by AC's RM, who is not 24h.

OP did mention latitude FRAYYC. Is your booking actually just that, or are you originating YYC? Because that is also a factor.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
For clarity: For Latitude fares, International e-upgrades come from P class. Your issue is that although P>0, R=0. The main website correctly shows upgrade availability based on P class, but AC's e-upgrade system incorrectly looks at only R space. The posters above are right, you'll need to get transferred to the resource desk to get it fixed. There are several other threads about this problem and it's a major pain. It has affected me many times when using international Latitude flight passes.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
"SE Desk" can't fix it. "NRD YUL Lounge" neither. It's actually fixed by AC's RM, who is not 24h.

OP did mention latitude FRAYYC. Is your booking actually just that, or are you originating YYC? Because that is also a factor.
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
For clarity: For Latitude fares, International e-upgrades come from P class. Your issue is that although P>0, R=0. The main website correctly shows upgrade availability based on P class, but AC's e-upgrade system incorrectly looks at only R space. The posters above are right, you'll need to get transferred to the resource desk to get it fixed. There are several other threads about this problem and it's a major pain. It has affected me many times when using international Latitude flight passes.
+1

Aldo, be aware that even if NRD "could" fix it, it doesn't necessarily meant that they would even if it's a legitimate issue.

I am speaking from ample experience, but what do I know. ("NRD YUL MLL")
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:31 pm

We don’t know the ultimate destination so we don’t know if it’s a real problem or not
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
We don’t know the ultimate destination so we don’t know if it’s a real problem or not
Agreed.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold
FRA-YYC-SFO is the route I am taking. I didn't know there was different availability depending on where I am connecting to.

Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up calling the concierge desk 3 times until I found someone that was helpful. All of them pretty much told me the availability was zero even though their own site and expertflyer said otherwise. Eventually I found someone who was willing to call someone to help me push the upgrade through.

The lesson learned here is to keep calling until you get a helpful agent.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by YYZ13
FRA-YYC-SFO is the route I am taking. I didn't know there was different availability depending on where I am connecting to.

Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up calling the concierge desk 3 times until I found someone that was helpful. All of them pretty much told me the availability was zero even though their own site and expertflyer said otherwise. Eventually I found someone who was willing to call someone to help me push the upgrade through.

The lesson learned here is to keep calling until you get a helpful agent.
connecting onto the UA codeshare at 1740 or the AC Express flight at 1840?

My guess is that you were booked onto the UA codeshare at 1740. If so. I 100% understand why there was no P space and so should you. Married Segment Logic. Availability is set based on a combination of flights. Different combinations have different availability. I hate married segment logic but it's what the airlines have changed to.

FRA-YYC P2
FRA-YYC-SFO connecting to the UA flight P0
FRA-YYC-SFO connecting to the AC Express flight P1
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Issue has been around for years. I call "corporate rewards" desk who are able to make the upgrade and those staff are quite familiar with the "glitch"
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
Issue has been around for years. I call "corporate rewards" desk who are able to make the upgrade and those staff are quite familiar with the "glitch"
I don't believe it's a glitch. I believe it's part of the change in revenue management and AC just didn't clearly let members know of the change. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they start enforcing that married segment logic stands, and if there is no P space (or whatever you're looking for in a given circumstance) based on the flights you're booked on, then too bad.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Routine problem, so I just book - then call and ask for NRD to fix...usually takes some time and they get back to me.

If not, can cancel within 24 hours and book again, try again.

OP, you need to be persistent, and have never found Concierge to helpful in this regard - last year waiting an hour on the line late one night from Lyon while tried to get this sorted - was mistake on my part, so will follow my own advice more thoroughly in future.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I don't believe it's a glitch. I believe it's part of the change in revenue management and AC just didn't clearly let members know of the change. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they start enforcing that married segment logic stands, and if there is no P space (or whatever you're looking for in a given circumstance) based on the flights you're booked on, then too bad.
Probably an unintended consequence rather than "part of" or "a glitch."

In other words, how "policies" are made at AC.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was always under the impression that upgrade availability was based on just that one segment.

Booking FRA-YYC-SFO deals with married segments, but upgrading it shouldn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.