Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who will easily cross 100k but come up short on AQDs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

Is there an official place where an FTer can go and cry over a cold beer after realizing that despite the fact he/she will easily cross 100k, he/she will come up short on AQDs?

Or am I the only he/she in this predicament? Perhaps I should just carve out a corner of the YVR MLL next time I'm in it for anyone else who finds themselves here...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Is there an official place where an FTer can go and cry over a cold beer after realizing that despite the fact he/she will easily cross 100k, he/she will come up short on AQDs?

Or am I the only he/she in this predicament? Perhaps I should just carve out a corner of the YVR MLL next time I'm in it for anyone else who finds themselves here...
No, it happens to many SEs here nearing year end.

You'll see the many threads pop up in a "complaint" or "cheapest MR" vein starting around October.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

1. why cry? over a beer or anything else?
2. planning
3. as @yyznomad pointed out and we can see not just on the AC FT forum, plenty of people can make the AQM/EQMs but not the AQDs/EQDs etc, or the reverse.
4. planning
5. if one is close, or has a goal post they'd like to meet, one can determine if it is feasible financially and time-wise to do one or more MRs to make up the difference.
6. never cry. life is too short.

(I am not looking forward to all of those soon-to-appear threads about whether someone should do a MR or how to get what they are missing for their next status level. This forum is full of threads with great advice, dispensed often)
gabdusch and Diabeetus like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by 24left
1. why cry? over a beer or anything else?
2. planning
3. as @yyznomad pointed out and we can see not just on the AC FT forum, plenty of people can make the AQM/EQMs but not the AQDs/EQDs etc, or the reverse.
4. planning
5. if one is close, or has a goal post they'd like to meet, one can determine if it is feasible financially and time-wise to do one or more MRs to make up the difference.
6. never cry. life is too short.

(I am not looking forward to all of those soon-to-appear threads about whether someone should do a MR or how to get what they are missing for their next status level. This forum is full of threads with great advice, dispensed often)

7. planning
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Since AC/AP topics aren't meant for the Forum Lounge thread as per its wiki these posts have been moved out and into their own thread for further discussion.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
7. planning
Easier said than done when one is not in full control of how the money is spent.

I'll agree with 24Left thought, it sure isn't worth crying over. It was a sad attempt to be humorous. I survived all my life without being an SE, and I suspect I'll somehow make it through next year as well.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
It was a sad attempt to be humorous.
That makes two of us.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Easier said than done when one is not in full control of how the money is spent.

I'll agree with 24Left thought, it sure isn't worth crying over. It was a sad attempt to be humorous. I survived all my life without being an SE, and I suspect I'll somehow make it through next year as well.
On behalf of the AC FT collective, I can offer a hug. The others may offer advice.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
Since AC/AP topics aren't meant for the Forum Lounge thread as per its wiki these posts have been moved out and into their own thread for further discussion.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Apparently I still haven't figured out the rules around here and I most certainly don't want a whole thread for my whining so please feel free to nuke this.

Last edited by WaytoomuchEurope; Aug 21, 2018 at 2:14 pm Reason: Accidental quote removal
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Apparently I still haven't figured out the rules around here and I most certainly don't want a whole thread for my whining so please feel free to nuke this.
Respectfully disagree about the nuking. You were willing to cry over a beer. I don't recall anyone else who was wondering if they would be short miles or money offering to do the same. This thread might be a great start to others facing the same challenge for 2018, assuming everyone learns to do a search. LOL
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Can't you consider an AQD run!?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by run&fly
Can't you consider an AQD run!?
One J flight to PVG would solve my problem, but... here's how I envision the conversation:

"Mrs WTME, I need to travel to Shanghai in the fall. I will only be gone a few days. It's not for work this time so I'll have to pay out of my/your/our kids' pockets. Also, I will need to travel in business class. On the bright side, doing this will help me attain a mostly meaningless status that will do nothing to enhance anyone's life but my own."

"You're an idiot. Not happening."
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Same goes for the flip side... way over AQD but not enough AQM/AQS.
montrealer, Sveiks, AleEat and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Smile

One J flight to PVG would solve my problem, but... here's how I envision the conversation:

"Mrs WTME, I need to travel to Shanghai in the fall. I will only be gone a few days. It's not for work this time so I'll have to pay out of my/your/our kids' pockets. Also, I will need to travel in business class. On the bright side, doing this will help me attain a mostly meaningless status that will do nothing to enhance anyone's life but my own."

"You're an idiot. Not happening."
I hear you. Only had to do a MR once, and I did find it a hard sell to Mrs. R&F!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
How far off from $20K are you ? Maybe some suggestions and actions will be better than crying over beer. Most of our beer already tastes watered down. If you are far short, then commiserations. If you are close then suggestions are available, depends how much of your own dollars you want to invest.
I am actually close to your predicament, I will cross 100K AQM in Sept though I will likely cross $20K AQD in Nov/Dec. There was a year when I came close to missing but managed to do so late Dec.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.