Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who will easily cross 100k but come up short on AQDs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I the only one who will easily cross 100k but come up short on AQDs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Plumber
I envision a very different conversation....

"Mrs Plumber, do you remember the recent trip we went on where you, me and both kids all sat in Business Class to and from Sydney and we cashed in points to get $32,000 worth of flights for $800?? Well, in order for us to reap those benefits, I need to qualify for SE and need to spend $3500 of our money and fly to Shanghai for a weekend in the fall......

Oh, by the way, we are planning that Safari in Africa next year and being SE will allow the whole family to travel to Tanzania in with lie flat beds on flights that would normally cost $52,000...

Are you ok with me taking that trip in the fall?
Love,
Plumber"
LOVE IT!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I envision a very different conversation....

"Mrs Plumber, do you remember the recent trip we went on where you, me and both kids all sat in Business Class to and from Sydney and we cashed in points to get $32,000 worth of flights for $800?? Well, in order for us to reap those benefits, I need to qualify for SE and need to spend $3500 of our money and fly to Shanghai for a weekend in the fall......

Oh, by the way, we are planning that Safari in Africa next year and being SE will allow the whole family to travel to Tanzania in with lie flat beds on flights that would normally cost $52,000...

Are you ok with me taking that trip in the fall?
Love,
Plumber"
It's a great angle, but there are 6 kids. And I pay a Vancouver mortgage. I believe that's 'nuff said.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
It's a great angle, but there are 6 kids. And I pay a Vancouver mortgage. I believe that's 'nuff said.

Understood- I do have 4 'kids', but two of them are now in their 20s and don't get invited much anymore. We did fly all 6 of us in J to EZE a number of years back.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Well this is interesting. The FAQ itself is of course stupid - everyone knows you have to do both the AQM/AQS and AQD. The answer puzzles me though...

Those requirements don't look familiar to me.

AC Source Link

EDIT: Re-read this and I'm an idiot. These are examples. I repeat: I am aware I am an idiot.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Opposite for me. Currently sitting at about 80K AQM but 25K AQD. Looking at a mileage run in PE to TPE or DXB to push me over the top.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fly_yag
Opposite for me. Currently sitting at about 80K AQM but 25K AQD. Looking at a mileage run in PE to TPE or DXB to push me over the top.
No guarantees but I would expect DXB fares to get a bit more competitive with EK already adding 2 flights to their 3 x A380s for a total of 5. And EY also has approval to go to 5 flights. And if the rumor mill is correct AC is planning for 5 flights/week to DXB though I do not know the start date.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by nave888
+1

I get that AQD requirements are there to prevent people from gaining status without spending much, but its a double edged sword. My AQD for this year will be close to $15K, but I'll MAYBE hit E50K, maybe even E35K.

I think this will become a bigger issue with branded fares - for example, you can now buy a "Standard H" last minute YEG-YYZ return...for nearly $1200...and yes, you get 25% miles!
+1. I have a one way SEA-YYZ Standard fare for USD $700 this week. CAD $900 for 50% AQM. At least I have status.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:16 pm

Understood- I do have 4 'kids', but two of them are now in their 20s and don't get invited much anymore. We did fly all 6 of us in J to EZE a number of years back.
My kids like to come out with us on 2-3 vacations a year though only one has the age of majority to refuse to come. And they want to come. And bring friends. Apparently they are fine with putting up with the indignity of travelling with parents if everything is paid for by said parents, the locations/food/entertainment is excellent and they have a friend or two along. The hardship.
I think the OP should get a nanny and travel with his wife on a AQD run. Though that may lead to a 7th child :-)
Plumber and 24left like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by vernonc
My kids like to come out with us on 2-3 vacations a year though only one has the age of majority to refuse to come. And they want to come. And bring friends. Apparently they are fine with putting up with the indignity of travelling with parents if everything is paid for by said parents, the locations/food/entertainment is excellent and they have a friend or two along. The hardship.
I just stopped inviting the older ones most of the time!

Though that may lead to a 7th child :-)
LOL
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by s_yvr
GoFundMe campaign!
Wasn't there a fellow FTer that donated to similar causes on Embarq?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Wasn't there a fellow FTer that donated to similar causes on Embarq?
DrunkCargo
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Well this is interesting. The FAQ itself is of course stupid - everyone knows you have to do both the AQM/AQS and AQD. The answer puzzles me though...

Those requirements don't look familiar to me.

AC Source Link

EDIT: Re-read this and I'm an idiot. These are examples. I repeat: I am aware I am an idiot.
Those are just examples in the FAQ of possible scenarios in which one would meet one level requirement and maybe not the same level for the other requirement.
The minimum requirement chart is at the top of the page of your link though, above the FAQ section.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Those are just examples in the FAQ of possible scenarios in which one would meet one level requirement and maybe not the same level for the other requirement.
The minimum requirement chart is at the top of the page of your link though, above the FAQ section.
Yes.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes.
I repeat, you're not an idiot, those are just examples.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
DrunkCargo
I guess I need to use more emojis today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.