Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Carrot is ending its relationship with Aeroplan as of April 30. As part of that message:

I'm very interested to know more about this "changing mission". Are they no longer going to sell points for fractional pennies? Do they want to trim down their partner list?
I wouldn't read too much into an aside from a minor ex-partner. Carrot might think the Aeroplan mission is now "screw Carrot".
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I wouldn't read too much into an aside from a minor ex-partner. Carrot might think the Aeroplan mission is now "screw Carrot".
Well what could have changed?

I can't imagine Carrot just wants to end it for no good reason. So does AC not want "that type" of partner? Or do they want to charge more per mile? Because I can't think of any other alternatives, and both are quite interesting in the grand scheme of AC's new loyalty program.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Well what could have changed?

I can't imagine Carrot just wants to end it for no good reason. So does AC not want "that type" of partner? Or do they want to charge more per mile? Because I can't think of any other alternatives, and both are quite interesting in the grand scheme of AC's new loyalty program.
Carrot Rewards is a free wellness app that lets you earn Aeroplan Miles by taking steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Walk a little extra, take a quick health quiz, learn about healthier behaviour, and earn miles for reaching attainable goals that help you live better.
Obviously AC is just not into encouraging their customers to take steps towards a healthier lifestyle....
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canopus27
Obviously AC is just not into encouraging their customers to take steps towards a healthier lifestyle....
The step earnings for AP were terminated a few months ago, at least for those with an Ontario address.
The quizzes will get you nothing after April 30.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Carrot is ending its relationship with Aeroplan as of April 30.
That's too bad. It was good for a passive mile or 2 a day and was a good way for infrequent travelers to keep their account active.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:09 pm

I was booking award travel tonight and noticed this on the homepage of érrorplan:

Clicking the link to either More value for Your Aeroplan Miles and the Carrot announcement presently go to a 404 (perhaps because I'm in the UK?) However, methinks that AC and Aeroplan will be making some big announcements on May 1 - just a heads up!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I was booking award travel tonight and noticed this on the homepage of érrorplan:

Clicking the link to either More value for Your Aeroplan Miles and the Carrot announcement presently go to a 404 (perhaps because I'm in the UK?) However, methinks that AC and Aeroplan will be making some big announcements on May 1 - just a heads up!

Safe Travels,

James
I presume any announcements that they make will be focused on how they intend to provide more value for (Y)our Aeroplan Miles.

How could that sort of enhancement possibly be a bad thing?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso

James
The carrot link works.. The more value one yields "page not found."
Old May 1, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Current Titanium, AC SE, x-SPG fanatic
More Value for Your Aeroplan Miles?

Looks like some “enhancements” on there way...some look positive - any thoughts?

Back in January, I shared the news that Air Canada had completed its acquisition of Aeroplan®, delivering on our promise to keep your Aeroplan Miles safe, and bringing us a big step closer to launching a more rewarding loyalty program for our customers.

Building a more rewarding Aeroplan program that provides unbeatable value for members remains our first priority.

This starts now, with more value for your Aeroplan Miles. Since the acquisition, and compared to last year, we’ve already started making improvements to Aeroplan: Go where you want – for fewer Miles. We’ve introduced exclusive Market Fare Flight Reward promotions to our most popular destinations. For example, Florida, certain destinations in the Southwest U.S., and Hawaii are all on sale right now. Keep an eye out for many more promotions like this one.A better deal on Market Fare Flight Rewards. You can redeem Market Fare Flight Rewards for 15% fewer Miles on average. On North American routes, we’ve also increased by 45% the number of "Great Deals" (bookings requiring fewer Miles for Market Fare than for Fixed Mileage).More Air Canada Gift Cards, for less. You can now redeem Air Canada gift cards for 25% fewer Miles than before. Air Canada Vacations® gift cards are a better deal now, too. And for Air Canada Vacation packages, you can now use $100 to $5,000 worth of Miles to pay for your package.Still the best value on Air Canada. Aeroplan has the lowest fixed fare redemption options among Canadian loyalty travel programs, with only 7,500 Miles needed for a one-way, short haul flight with no advance purchase or round trip required.This is just the beginning. Stay tuned for more updates and surprises (the good kind) as we celebrate Aeroplan’s 35th anniversary this year and move closer to launching a more rewarding program in 2020.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Better value from the worst valuable redemption... Nothing here, as far as I am concerned...
eracerblue likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What was the rate before? Looks like 1cpm now.

Certainly not something I'd redeem for, but better is better.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeflys
Looks like some “enhancements” on there way...some look positive - any thoughts?

====

Stay tuned for more updates and surprises (the good kind) as we celebrate Aeroplan’s 35th anniversary this year and move closer to launching a more rewarding program in 2020.
LOL. As if.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Zeeflys
Back in January, I shared the news that Air Canada had completed its acquisition of Aeroplan®, delivering on our promise to keep your Aeroplan Miles safe, and bringing us a big step closer to launching a more rewarding loyalty program for our customers.

Building a more rewarding Aeroplan program that provides unbeatable value for members remains our first priority....
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Better value from the worst valuable redemption... Nothing here, as far as I am concerned...
I thought about posting the non-announcement today.... but why. It always seems to amaze me how many times and how much they can say without saying or reassuring anything.

If this is legitimately the type of "confidence" and "value" they're building into the new system, then we all should be cashing out and running for the hills - flights, partners, credit cards.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:13 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by eracerblue
then we all should be cashing out and running for the hills - flights, partners, credit cards.
Mantra in this forum has always been to earn and burn, makes no sense to hoard something that devalues every 2-3 of years
eracerblue likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
This year I plan on burning all the miles. The signs point to a CPM model for all redemptions. Bye bye J and F rewards. Expect smaller J cabins as a result too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.