Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by yscleo
AIM shares has been falling quite a bit, and there's no bounce from this news.
Maybe so but they are doing better than most other stocks...it's been a bad month.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by mapleg
Maybe so but they are doing better than most other stocks...it's been a bad month.
Most stocks didn't fall 20% in a month. This is a stock with some solid news but has dived more than most.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
AIM shares has been falling quite a bit, and there's no bounce from this news.
No bounce because the "news" is simply confirming what was already assumed to be almost a certainty.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by robsaw
No bounce because the "news" is simply confirming what was already assumed to be almost a certainty.
Exactly. Once the vote is counted at the Special Shareholder Meeting and confirmed by the board of directors, I would expect a bump in share price as AIMIA will now be flush with cash. However, the full value of the transaction and cash will only come once AIMIA transfers AE to AC along with all accounting obligations. AIMIA will have to do a full audit accounting exercise before it can distribute the cash that remains to shareholders as a special dividend. However, I don't expect AIMIA to continue operating once this process is concluded. It really has no place in the Canadian market. It is unlikely to be able to start up a new loyalty program here given the dominance of Air Miles among most consumers...and the likelihood AC will maintain relationships with retail partners under the enhanced Altitude/Aeroplan program. I see it following the ACE model and ultimately shutting down and distributing remaining cash to shareholders. (I'm still awaiting the final distribution of a few million $s ACE still holds some time next year.) If AIMIA thinks it still has a place in the loyalty world, and does not distribute most of its AC cash to shareholders, I'd expect a class action suit to be launched. (AIMIA has a NYC vulture fund as a major shareholder and I expect it's more interested in seeing cash than keeping the company operating. Recent senior exec changes also suggest a wind down.)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Exactly. Once the vote is counted at the Special Shareholder Meeting and confirmed by the board of directors, I would expect a bump in share price as AIMIA will now be flush with cash. However, the full value of the transaction and cash will only come once AIMIA transfers AE to AC along with all accounting obligations. AIMIA will have to do a full audit accounting exercise before it can distribute the cash that remains to shareholders as a special dividend. However, I don't expect AIMIA to continue operating once this process is concluded. It really has no place in the Canadian market. It is unlikely to be able to start up a new loyalty program here given the dominance of Air Miles among most consumers...and the likelihood AC will maintain relationships with retail partners under the enhanced Altitude/Aeroplan program. I see it following the ACE model and ultimately shutting down and distributing remaining cash to shareholders. (I'm still awaiting the final distribution of a few million $s ACE still holds some time next year.) If AIMIA thinks it still has a place in the loyalty world, and does not distribute most of its AC cash to shareholders, I'd expect a class action suit to be launched. (AIMIA has a NYC vulture fund as a major shareholder and I expect it's more interested in seeing cash than keeping the company operating. Recent senior exec changes also suggest a wind down.)
They still have to other business. The Air Miles in the middle east as well as trying to be a competitor to clutch for building in-house loyalty programs. If they are viable with those two activities and their current shareholders is another story.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Fiordland
They still have to other business. The Air Miles in the middle east as well as trying to be a competitor to clutch for building in-house loyalty programs. If they are viable with those two activities and their current shareholders is another story.
To all intents and purposes, AIMIA's Canadian operations will be taken over by AC. There will be nothing really left. The Canadian operations represented over 90% of the income, and most of the foreign divisions have been losing money. When it comes to ascribing value to these two components, the best measure would be Goodwill where Aeroplan is carried at $1.675 billion and the Middle East operation just $9.8 million. Nectar was sold at a loss and other divisions outside Canada shut down. Really not much value in the company once the Aeroplan division (AIMIA Canada) is sold. There just is no market for another Canadian loyalty program, nor would it be worth spending tens of millions to establish one. If anything, once the cash balance is distrusted to shareholders, share value will drop even further.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:17 pm

Does AIMIA still have a stake in Aeromexico’s (I think) FFP?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Aimia operates some bank's reward programs, such as BMO Rewards, so they may still have relevance in Canada
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:45 am

I would imagine AIMIA will be exploring the sale of their remaining businesses - the corporate restructuring required to sustain the remaining business would seem to be a massive change from what they look like now, easier and much better value to sell than try to reinvent.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Shareholder
To all intents and purposes, AIMIA's Canadian operations will be taken over by AC. There will be nothing really left. The Canadian operations represented over 90% of the income, and most of the foreign divisions have been losing money. When it comes to ascribing value to these two components, the best measure would be Goodwill where Aeroplan is carried at $1.675 billion and the Middle East operation just $9.8 million. Nectar was sold at a loss and other divisions outside Canada shut down. Really not much value in the company once the Aeroplan division (AIMIA Canada) is sold. There just is no market for another Canadian loyalty program, nor would it be worth spending tens of millions to establish one. If anything, once the cash balance is distrusted to shareholders, share value will drop even further.
It is likely that as part of the deal, Aimia is not allowed to start/operate a new travel rewards program in Canada for a period of time.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
What's the likely hood of all of the new program details being ironed out before the post-June 2020 flights would technically start becoming bookable in summer 2019? I imagine they are going to want to maintain some levels of continuity
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mjrobson
What's the likely hood of all of the new program details being ironed out before the post-June 2020 flights would technically start becoming bookable in summer 2019? I imagine they are going to want to maintain some levels of continuity
Very high. With regulatory approval done all that is left are shareholders which was the lower of the two risks from ACs standpostandpoint. Keep in mind people will want to know what to do to requalify for Altitude in 2020 ergo AC must come up with the rules before 2020 when people start making decisions about flights to book for the coming year. Certainly by autumn I would expect these issues to be ironed out.

-James
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Very high. With regulatory approval done all that is left are shareholders which was the lower of the two risks from ACs standpostandpoint. Keep in mind people will want to know what to do to requalify for Altitude in 2020 ergo AC must come up with the rules before 2020 when people start making decisions about flights to book for the coming year. Certainly by autumn I would expect these issues to be ironed out.

-James
Actually, what remains to be done is the structure of the new program. AC has had a team working on it for some time now. I am comfortable that they know their timelines. I am equally comfortable that they have a better idea of the Ts & Cs of their current contract with Aimia than we do. Perhaps it spells out what AC can and can't do with regards to advertising their own program.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Actually, what remains to be done is the structure of the new program. AC has had a team working on it for some time now. I am comfortable that they know their timelines. I am equally comfortable that they have a better idea of the Ts & Cs of their current contract with Aimia than we do. Perhaps it spells out what AC can and can't do with regards to advertising their own program.
Or perhaps the enhancements are so bad, they'd rather not say anything yet....
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Or perhaps the enhancements are so bad, they'd rather not say anything yet....
Line, Rankourabu neck. We will see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.