Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
That's not necessarily the right or the best strategy, at least assuming enough travel. Idea should be, one person always pays, the companion travels on reward whenever one has enough miles. Helps if person No.1 maintains SE status, so that rewards are easier to get. Also helps if spending enough to consistently travel in J.
Apart from AC metal rewards, what rewards are easier to get as an SE?

Also, why would anyone have miles only in one program, and rely solely on that program for their award needs?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Also, why would anyone have miles only in one program, and rely solely on that program for their award needs?
Sometimes that's just how it goes if the only reasonable flights on your routes are the same airline. I fly YYZ-SFO a lot, and AC is the only reasonable option there. Used to credit to AP, now I credit to UA, but it's still all my eggs in one basket.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Totally depends on individual flyer's situation. AC is the airline I fly most, so is where I credit my miles. If I credited my UA flights to MP I'd likely end up with *S with both AC and UA. To me AC SE (or any AC *G level) beats having *S in multiple programs.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Because I live in Toronto, fly almost exclusively domestic, and would much rather have SE status with AC than lower status with multiple airlines? And I prefer a non-miles credit card, so I don't build up points that way. But even if I did, it would be an AE card given where I live and my travel patterns. Why would anyone have miles in more than one program? (I get that some would, but for me - and most of my acquaintances - one program makes more sense than multiple.)
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PB53x11
. Why would anyone have miles in more than one program?
Because one program cant get you everywhere?
There are different purposes for my BA miles than my UA miles. Just as there are different uses for my UA and my Aeroplan (well Amex) points.

Do people who solely have Aeroplan miles also invest in a single stock?

Sorry but I would rather have five 200,000 mile balances than a 1,000,000 of one airline.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apart from AC metal rewards, what rewards are easier to get as an SE?

If I go for status and my wife uses Aeroplan, we primarily care about rewards on AC. With reasonable availability and no YQ.

And no point in spreading over other programs.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
There are different purposes for my BA miles than my UA miles. Just as there are different uses for my UA and my Aeroplan (well Amex) points.

Do people who solely have Aeroplan miles also invest in a single stock?

Sorry but I would rather have five 200,000 mile balances than a 1,000,000 of one airline.
As I said in the (full) quote, I get that some would prefer to use more than one program. Every traveller needs to do what works for them.

And the single stock question is ridiculous. With stocks there are benefits to diversification. For you, there are benefits to diversification of points programs. For me, it's the opposite - even two programs would spread me too thin. And AC (or more broadly AE) can get me to lots of places that I want to go. For other places, there's always cash.

So, yes, for my situation I'd much rather have 1,000,000 in one program (to go with my SE status) than 200,000 in five. Not that I ever let it get anywhere near 1,000,000.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'd rather a) have the top tier status with one airline then lower tier with multiple airlines. And b) because I'd rather have enough miles to get somewhere.

200,000 miles could get me and the GF nowhere I want to go, at least not in the style I'd want if I'm traveling for fun
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Rankourabu (ME) means to say is, " If possible, it was far better for me to have a diversified portfolio of FFP accounts with 400K+ in each than with 2M AE."

After all, if you want to try the F/J products with EK, EY,QF, SQ, JL, CX etc........ No way I would have got there with strictly an AE account. This was the main reason I diversified to multi accounts 10 years ago, and while I LOVE LH, OZ, NH,-F, plus other *A in J. No way I get to try the other airlines with just Multi-M points strictly in an Aeroplan account.

I still use AE, and love it as a Canadian, but my needs for variety changes as you discover what else is out there. having said that, I am heading from YOW>YWG in Y, so.........

LFC
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvFclass
Rankourabu (ME) means to say is, " If possible, it was far better for me to have a diversified portfolio of FFP accounts with 400K+ in each than with 2M AE."

After all, if you want to try the F/J products with EK, EY,QF, SQ, JL, CX etc........ No way I would have got there with strictly an AE account. This was the main reason I diversified to multi accounts 10 years ago, and while I LOVE LH, OZ, NH,-F, plus other *A in J. No way I get to try the other airlines with just Multi-M points strictly in an Aeroplan account.

I still use AE, and love it as a Canadian, but my needs for variety changes as you discover what else is out there. having said that, I am heading from YOW>YWG in Y, so.........

LFC
Precisely. Until AC (or UA) gets me back on Etihad Apartments or Emirates F, heck even CX F or Delta One Suites, I stand by my diversification.

I've gotten amazing value out of Aeroplan going back to F RTW days for 120k and no scamcharges before the 2011 devaluation and YQization.
Mostly because the cost of acquisiton of Aeroplan miles is close to zero - and by the looks of it will continue to be zero when the new regime takes over thanks to TD/CIBC/AMEX

I find the blind loyalty to Aeroplan of some of the posters here quite fascinating, but I understand everyone has their reasons.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....and by the looks of it will continue to be zero when the new regime takes over thanks to TD/CIBC/AMEX
You mean TD/CIBC/VISA?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by 24left
You mean TD/CIBC/VISA?
Here is hoping that AMEX will not be kicked out by the cartel from access to the Aeroplan/AC program so that I continue earning those referral and welcome bonuses 😁
rankourabu likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

Here is hoping that AMEX will not be kicked out by the cartel from access to the Aeroplan/AC program so that I continue earning those referral and welcome bonuses 😁
I’d happily take United over Aeroplan as the * transfer partner for AmEx. Sure is nice to choose flights without scam charges plus my UA Gold status gives me access to more inventory and booking flexibility.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:36 am

ÉrrorPlan Acquisition Receives Regulatory Approval

Looks like the ÉrrorPlan acquisition has received regulatory approval - it's now left to a shareholders vote which I suspect will clear no problem:

From the official release:

MONTREAL, Dec. 24, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced that the acquisition of Aimia Inc.'s ("Aimia") Aeroplan loyalty business has cleared regulatory requirements, following the receipt of the required confirmation under the Canada Transportation Actand a "no action letter" issued by the Canadian Competition Bureau. This follows the conclusion of the definitive share purchase agreement with Aimia for the acquisition of Aimia Canada Inc. ("Aimia Canada"), owner and operator of the Aeroplan loyalty business.

Concurrently with the signing of the share purchase agreement announced Nov. 26, 2018, Air Canada, The Toronto-Dominion Bank ("TD"), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce ("CIBC"), and Visa Canada Corporation ("Visa") signed various commercial agreements relating to and in support of the acquisition, including credit card loyalty program and network agreements for future participation in Air Canada's new loyalty program, all of which are conditional upon closing of the acquisition of Aimia Canada. Additionally, Air Canada remains in negotiations with American Express, which also issues Aeroplan co-branded products, to secure its continued participation in the Aeroplan program after 2020.

The aggregate purchase price for the acquisition of Aimia Canada consists of $450 million in cash subject to post-closing adjustments and includes the assumption of approximately $1.9 billion of Aeroplan Miles liability. Air Canada will receive payments from TD and CIBC in the aggregate amount of $822 million. Visa will also be making a payment to Air Canada. In addition, TD and CIBC will make payments to Air Canada, at closing, in the aggregate amount of $400 million as prepayments to be applied towards future monthly payments in respect of Aeroplan miles.

The closing of the acquisition, expected to occur in January 2019, remains subject to the satisfaction of customary conditions as well as Aimia shareholder approval which will be sought by Aimia at its special meeting of shareholders scheduled for January 8, 2019.
Source : Air Canada

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
AIM shares has been falling quite a bit, and there's no bounce from this news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.