Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I hate to break it to you, but Air Canada's existing FF program is, in fact, a revenue-based garbage system. Ask around.
It has a revenue-based flavour, but they don't award Aeroplan miles purely based on spend (though I wish they would) as distance and fare class matter. But the biggest difference - they have a fixed award chart. Delta does not. It's like only having market fares for Air Canada.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by vernonc
So who would put in a competitive offer ? Amex ? OR Amex + RBC ? Capital One ? Capital One + Mastercard ? All of the above ? Or none ?
Hmmm, but why would they?

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jul 26, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
So who would put in a competitive offer ? Amex ? OR Amex + RBC ? Capital One ? Capital One + Mastercard ? All of the above ? Or none ?
Can anyone put in a competitive offer and be viable against a consortium which includes AC? Isn't AC a bit of a key player in this?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I hate to break it to you, but Air Canada's existing FF program is, in fact, a revenue-based garbage system. Ask around.

Indeed, it confirms what I've been saying for years. Air Canada couldn't care less about SEs or MMs or any FFs for that matter. Its "customers" only matter because they contribute to Calin's bonus.
What exactly confirms that?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by pitz
And AC would be the first organization knocking on the bankruptcy trustees' door, trying to acquire the asset. Which the trustee basically would have to accept to protect the interests of the creditors. Basically AC is the only company that would actually be able to create or realize any value for the asset due to the deep integration between AC and AP that persists even to this day.

Its pretty obvious that Aimia knows that it would be implausible to realize any value from the assets in any other way. They know that the business they run is fundamentally unviable at the valuation that was 'paid' for the relationship with AC. And could not, and *did* not create any shareholder value.

..the long-term plan never really was for AP to be truly and fully independent of AC.
Well put. AC is the only party that could make use of ae system. TD/CIBC to a lesser extent. ae is not of much value to others. To Amex, ae is the most important transfer partner, but it won't have as much value to Amex to want to come with a competing bid, to the extent ae is of value to AC.
AC says they'll continue with their own FF program. They say that now. But after eating up ae, that can change.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yscleo
Well put. AC is the only party that could make use of ae system. TD/CIBC to a lesser extent. ae is not of much value to others. To Amex, ae is the most important transfer partner, but it won't have as much value to Amex to want to come with a competing bid, to the extent ae is of value to AC.
AC says they'll continue with their own FF program. They say that now. But after eating up ae, that can change.
To Amex this would be customer acquisition and spend delivering fees. The banks have got more competitive with Signature/Infinite cards and they subsidize the card fees with a basket of services. Amex lost Costco/Amex card not too long ago to Capital One which would IMHO have been around 15-20% of their card business. If Amex can keep AE running, they could redeem on other airlines, they get the customers and their spend back, they can sell other services like insurance and travel. Amex was also very annoyed when AC/AE went with TD when Amex had a bid in. Having AE would allow Amex more scale and would entice more merchants to sign up for accrual/redemption.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by YUL-Insider
Sounds like it was the plan all along. AC directly causes the stock to be lowered and then buys Aimia for cheap. Stockholders will be pissed. Is this even legal?
Legal vs Ethical

1. Spin Aeroplan off for Billions
2. Tank the value since you won't renew contract and will compete directly with Aimia
3. Buy back for next to nothing

I can just imagine how exceptionally pleased Aimia shareholders are with this outcome.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
To Amex this would be customer acquisition and spend delivering fees. The banks have got more competitive with Signature/Infinite cards and they subsidize the card fees with a basket of services. Amex lost Costco/Amex card not too long ago to Capital One which would IMHO have been around 15-20% of their card business. If Amex can keep AE running, they could redeem on other airlines, they get the customers and their spend back, they can sell other services like insurance and travel. Amex was also very annoyed when AC/AE went with TD when Amex had a bid in. Having AE would allow Amex more scale and would entice more merchants to sign up for accrual/redemption.
Amex was already losing when AC cut ae, now with this new bid, it is making the situation worse.

The value of ae to Amex, is much less than the value of ae to AC. AC and ae were not really separate. Amex wouldn't be coming with a competing bid, because Amex needs the key party AC together. AC already went with TD/CIBC/Visa, which would understandably shut out Amex. Well, Amex could still work out a business deal if it makes sense, but Amex would be an outsider trying to connect with ae.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yscleo
Amex was already losing when AC cut ae, now with this new bid, it is making the situation worse.

The value of ae to Amex, is much less than the value of ae to AC. AC and ae were not really separate. Amex wouldn't be coming with a competing bid, because Amex needs the key party AC together. AC already went with TD/CIBC/Visa, which would understandably shut out Amex. Well, Amex could still work out a business deal if it makes sense, but Amex would be an outsider trying to connect with ae.
Well I wonder if Visa jumped in with TD/Cibc/AC because they thought AE was cooking something with Amex or MC ? Just speculation.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note a few posts have been deleted as they were discussing an off topic matter, namely other airline offers for a different AIMIA loyalty program. Members wanting to carry on that conversation are encouraged to do so in the proper thread which is here.

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75K
Well I wonder if Visa jumped in with TD/Cibc/AC because they thought AE was cooking something with Amex or MC ? Just speculation.
I think Air Canada answered this question on their Q & A site: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...questions.html

“Q: Why are you giving Aimia a week to respond? Why can’t you give them more time?
A: (...) there have been other proposed transactions to purchase Aimia over the past several months.”

Maybe it wasn’t Amex but it looks like AC made this public now because they got wind of something else being cooked up.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:54 pm
FB_

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by YUL-Insider

I think Air Canada answered this question on their Q & A site: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...questions.html

“Q: Why are you giving Aimia a week to respond? Why can’t you give them more time?
A: (...) there have been other proposed transactions to purchase Aimia over the past several months.”

Maybe it wasn’t Amex but it looks like AC made this public now because they got wind of something else being cooked up.
As both are publicly traded there are very specific rules on when news must be announced.

I believe the deadline is also the day before Aimia releases their latest quarterly results, which is interesting as they may know they are positive and want to get in cheap.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
It has a revenue-based flavour
"Revenue-based flavour?" Well that's one way to put it. You need to achieve spending targets to attain various levels of status ($20k in the case of SE) and your ability to earn qualifying miles is at least partially dependent on fare bucket. That's more than a "revenue-based flavour" .... it's entirely based on spending. There's no other way to put it.

As far as Aeroplan redemptions go, that too is revenue-based. Spend more, attain higher status, enjoy better availability. Nothing wrong with that by the way, but it too is absolutely revenue-based.

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
What exactly confirms that?
Originally Posted by Norcanair
This tells us a lot about how Air Canada values its long-term relationships. SEMM take note.
Whoops, original quote I responded to fell off the repost I guess.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
That's more than a "revenue-based flavour" .... it's entirely based on spending. There's no other way to put it.
I've hardly been skimping on other people's money, but neither do I buy needlessly high bucket fares (occasionally needed high bucket fares). And I'm at 90k AQM, 74 AQS, 20.5k AQD for '18.

I would love for a revenue based system entirely based on spending.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Does this mean that a million miles for lifetime status, will soon be replaced by a million dollars as the requirement?
canadiancow and jc94 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.