Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Actually, what remains to be done is the structure of the new program. AC has had a team working on it for some time now. I am comfortable that they know their timelines. I am equally comfortable that they have a better idea of the Ts & Cs of their current contract with Aimia than we do. Perhaps it spells out what AC can and can't do with regards to advertising their own program.
Given the amount of uncertainty that has come to the program over the last 12-18 months the last thing AC wants to do is drag their feet on this. 6 months ago we were all talking about how these points will only be useful on Porter flights between YTZ and YUL giving Westjet Rewards a run for its money! Remember the value of the Aeropesos they sell to CC companies and consumers depends directly on what people's perception of them are. AC is far from the days when consumers thought those points were valuable and could get them a ticket whenever they need to, to Anna Banana or whatever "exotic" location they come up with.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Or perhaps the enhancements are so bad, they'd rather not say anything yet....
I've still got old issues or érrorplan laying around if you need 'em
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Actually, what remains to be done is the structure of the new program. AC has had a team working on it for some time now. I am comfortable that they know their timelines. I am equally comfortable that they have a better idea of the Ts & Cs of their current contract with Aimia than we do. Perhaps it spells out what AC can and can't do with regards to advertising their own program.
The T&C could well specify the specifications of the board room table and water glass sizes to be offered at meetings, but Aimia getting out of the business, why would they care?

As an acquisition now, everything will be smoother for the customers. (not necessarily better for the customers, but smoother).

The question in my mind is if the fundamental problems were Aimia management & the contract; their technology; their people. And from that, how ruthless AC will be in firing or routing around obstructionist managers and SMEs.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
The T&C could well specify the specifications of the board room table and water glass sizes to be offered at meetings, but Aimia getting out of the business, why would they care?

As an acquisition now, everything will be smoother for the customers. (not necessarily better for the customers, but smoother).

The question in my mind is if the fundamental problems were Aimia management & the contract; their technology; their people. And from that, how ruthless AC will be in firing or routing around obstructionist managers and SMEs.
My point, with regards to the contract is simply that we don't know. With regards to employees, AC has been pretty clear that they are not going to use the Aeroplan Program. Instead, they are developing their own. It's possible (but I have no knowledge of this) that their purchase did not include contracts for current employees of Aimia. They may not have anyone go fire, just staff to hire.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Line, Rankourabu neck. We will see.
I have no illusions that AC will not butcher the most valuable redemptions (2 stop premium RTWs)
Luckily my balance is down to 20 (and soon to expire)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by mjrobson
What's the likely hood of all of the new program details being ironed out before the post-June 2020 flights would technically start becoming bookable in summer 2019? I imagine they are going to want to maintain some levels of continuity
I wouldn’t assume that the June 2020 date is relevant any more. That date was based on a contract between 2 independent companies. Now that AC will control Aeroplan they can name their own timeline. I suspect the new program will roll out either Jan 1/20 or Jan 1/21 to coincide with the qualification year.

Aeroplan could continue to exist for a while due to current contractual agreements with 3rd parties, or they might simply become partners in the new FFP.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Aimia's Shareholders Approve Sale of Aimia Canada to Air Canada and Reduction of Stated Capital

MONTREAL, Jan. 8, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Data-driven marketing and loyalty analytics company Aimia Inc. (TSX: AIM) ("Aimia") today announced that, at its special meeting of common and preferred shareholders (the "Meeting"), shareholders voted to approve the two special resolutions previously announced regarding:
  • the sale to Air Canada of all of the issued and outstanding share capital of Aimia Canada Inc. ("Aimia Canada"), the owner and operator of the Aeroplan loyalty program (the "Transaction"); and
  • the reduction of the stated capital of Aimia's common shares to an aggregate amount of not less than $1,000,000 pursuant to subsection 38(1) of the Canada Business Corporations Act (the "Stated Capital Reduction").
The resolution regarding the Transaction was approved by holders representing 96% of Aimia's common shares and preferred shares who voted on the Transaction on a combined basis and the resolution regarding the Stated Capital Reduction was approved by holders representing 78% of Aimia's common shares who voted on the resolution regarding the Stated Capital Reduction. Final voting results of the Meeting will be filed with the Canadian securities regulators at www.SEDAR.com.

With all regulatory and shareholder approvals now having been obtained, Aimia expects the Transaction to close in the coming days.

Source: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...849953015.html
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...da-consortium/

AIMIA investors vote to accept Aeroplan offer
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
In Dec. I got a call (because I own shares of AIM) from some agent dealing with the transaction, to vote on the proposed AC buy. They guy said AC proposed to buy all of AIM shares. I had to correct him on what the proposed buy is. He then sent me an email, and again said AC is proposing to buy the shares of AIM.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/aimi...debt-1.4248236

Aimia completes sale of Aeroplan loyalty program to Air Canada, repays debt
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Updated email has been sent out with a press release attached https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...yalty-Business

one thing that does look like may happen is the mRTW flights will probably go away with the "The best reward value for Air Canada flights, plus, unparalleled access to travel on over 40 partner airlines, including the Star Alliance global network" making it sound like it will be better to fly AC vs partners the opposite of what the system is right now
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Aselwyn
Updated email has been sent out with a press release attached
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...yalty-Business

one thing that does look like may happen is the mRTW flights will probably go away with the "The best reward value for Air Canada flights, plus, unparalleled access to travel on over 40 partner airlines, including the Star Alliance global network" making it sound like it will be better to fly AC vs partners the opposite of what the system is right now

Yes, also posted in this thread along with a copy of the email I just received

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020
Aselwyn likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting comments.

Did I miss a post somewhere that specified the number of Aeroplan employees that will be moving to Air Canada?

QUOTES:

"It is interesting to know that they value the unredeemed miles (unclear how many – must be billions) that Aeroplan business has on its books at $1.9 billion liability.

Half of Aimia’s 1,500 employees will move to Air Canada as part of the deal (not sure what the rest will do).

There really wasn’t any other way of doing this. Air Canada announced that they wouldn’t renew their deal with Aimia and would launch their own program. This lead to stock market value of Aimia crashing. Now that Aeroplan is back in house it ensure smooth transition to the new program in 2020 (better burn those miles NOW though)."

Air Canada Closes Aeroplan Purchase From Aimia

by John Ollila - Jan 10, 2019

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/01/10/...se-from-aimia/
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Will Air Canada follow United's lead?

I've always been worried the new Air Canada Aeroplan replacement will be dynamic pricing like Delta... this now seems even more likely and once an alliance member starts it puts more pressure on the rest of the alliance to follow suit. I get good value out of United redemptions... does this mean even less inventory for Aeroplan?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:23 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
How will we ever search for Aeroplan awards now?

I guess they could just switch everything to some version of market fares fairly easy, interesting times ahead to be sure.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Aeroplan already has fully dynamic pricing. It's called "Market Fare", and has existed for many years (though under a different name before).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.