Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
A few more peons with free checked bags would actually improve nearly everyone's life as zone 5 invariably has to gate check bags on >90% of the segments I've been on in the last year.
Actually it's unfair to people who paid if they don't charge for gate checks and oversized cabin luggage. Perhaps we should wish for the Ryanair solution?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually it's unfair to people who paid if they don't charge for gate checks and oversized cabin luggage. Perhaps we should wish for the Ryanair solution?
Well, actually enforcing the carry on rules before Zone 5 would also help, at least over the long term, in changing behavior.

Not allowing crew to have 13 bags each would help. Having closets and not taking up half of Jr bins with fire extinguishers would help.

But letting those with partner CCs check a bag for free might be the path of least resistance if delays because gate checks is an issue to them.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:03 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by chx1975
The flying toasters were designed by the father of one of my most successful mentees... thanks for the memories, I needed happy thoughts this week.
Glad to see that someone else is also smart/old enough to remember this. 29 years ago - eek!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/air-cana...ners-1.1173461

Air Canada says TD, CIBC and Visa to continue as Aeroplan partners

Air Canada says it signed agreements with TD Bank, CIBC and Visa that will see them continue to be part of the Aeroplan loyalty program.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:55 pm

TD chief executive Bharat Masrani said the bank is pleased to become "the primary credit card issuer" for Air Canada.
I thought TD already was the "primary card issuer". Didn't most CIBC Aerogold clients get shunted over to TD when they first made an arrangement? What makes someone a "primary card issuer" anyway?

Not much to be inferred from CIBC's press release: CIBC completes definitive agreements with Air Canada regarding Aeroplan - Nov 26, 2018
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
But letting those with partner CCs check a bag for free might be the path of least resistance if delays because gate checks is an issue to them.
We need to cut out the nonsense of allowing people with partner CCs get all (or some) the benefits of being an elite. I'm sick and tired of entering a packed MLL because there's a bunch of FoTSGs with Aeroplan cards (or worse MLL memberships) that grant them free access. Similar thing for priority boarding and free checked bags. Whilst all us elites worked hard for our *A Gold status (i.e. spending $2000/year on flights on *A sitting in middle seat economy on several long haul segments) those FoTSG just had to fill out an application or pay a fee to get the benefits.

Colour me jaded but there's a reason why we can't have nice things at United domestic clubs down.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by cedric
I thought TD already was the "primary card issuer". Didn't most CIBC Aerogold clients get shunted over to TD when they first made an arrangement? What makes someone a "primary card issuer" anyway?

Not much to be inferred from CIBC's press release: CIBC completes definitive agreements with Air Canada regarding Aeroplan - Nov 26, 2018
TD paid a lot more than CIBC, to AC. TD gets to say they are the primary card issue. CIBC is the other primary card issuer but they don't get to say that.

AC "sold" the CIBC customers to TD, but CIBC threatened to sue, so CIBC in addition to giving TD those customer database, gets to continue selling CIBC ae visas.

Amex is the primary transfer partner and is negotiating to keep that title.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by j2simpso
We need to cut out the nonsense of allowing people with partner CCs get all (or some) the benefits of being an elite. I'm sick and tired of entering a packed MLL because there's a bunch of FoTSGs with Aeroplan cards (or worse MLL memberships) that grant them free access. Similar thing for priority boarding and free checked bags. Whilst all us elites worked hard for our *A Gold status (i.e. spending $2000/year on flights on *A sitting in middle seat economy on several long haul segments) those FoTSG just had to fill out an application or pay a fee to get the benefits.

Colour me jaded but there's a reason why we can't have nice things at United domestic clubs down.

Safe Travels,

James
just because the FoTSG don't have a job that involves frequent air travel shouldn't mean they can't get access to perks. After all they are a profit center for the airline because their card issuing institution buys the miles from the AC/Aeroplan.

Thise FoTSG also want and deserve to be made feel special
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:32 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I need you know how you get *A Gold for only $2k/yr.

That aside, do we have any hard evidence that lounge crowding and/or mediocrity is significantly due to card holders? I'm genuinely curious.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:41 pm

. Whilst all us elites worked hard for our *A Gold status (i.e. spending $2000/year on flights on *A sitting in middle seat economy on several long haul segments) those FoTSG just had to fill out an application or pay a fee to get the benefits.
I was going to agree with you fully, but $2000 needs to be replaced with $20,000. Pretty sure that a $2000/year customer who gets any sort of status with AC would be considered to be just as much of a bottom-feeder as the people who merely churn credit card points.

And yeah when the MLL is more of a zoo than the general public areas, that's not exactly what I think most higher-spending FFPs really had in mind when they thought of lounge access as being a perk. Its pretty hard for AC to really move the needle on product quality, comfort, etc., when everyone and their dog has access.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:41 pm
5mm
Suspended

Safe Travels,

James
Because the banks are giving AC bags full of money and they are way more profitable than your $2K per year. Just think how profitable these cards are for the banks, if they are willing to give AC $100 million or so every year.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5mm
Just think how profitable these cards are for the banks, if they are willing to give AC $100 million or so every year.
Still depends what AC needs to give in exchange for these miles. Apparently when there was AE in the middle, AC was not too happy with that.

Which of course begs the question, what is going to be different now?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I don't get the argument. The TD card has a luggage option for people with very high incomes, or one for AP rewards only for people with more normal incomes. I can see card issuers offering more benefits for higher annual fees and frankly I don't see the difference here. Frequent fliers get benefits because they give airlines money. Credit card holders give banks money, who then give airlines money (see $1B from TD above). As long as the perk is paid for, who cares where it comes from? It generates the profit needed.

Keep in mind I can get SE100K right now if I want to sign up for a 6-month business class unlimited flight pass and not fly a minute. There's a reason airlines keep shifting to revenue-based loyalty models. It sucks but it's true.

FoTSGs are more traditional WestJet folks anyway, now with a Swoop(tm) option.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Still depends what AC needs to give in exchange for these miles. Apparently when there was AE in the middle, AC was not too happy with that.

AC will get the money, instead of Aeroplan.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:52 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
You're just making assumptions of who is a commoner vs who is nobility.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with churning credit cards to earn Aeroplan miles to fly. If there was, AC and the banks would make people collect toasters or something.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those who fly for work or MRs or to see family, and actually pay cash for their seats and earn miles, points and status doing so.

And some do both.

And Marie Antoinette is long gone and still there are those who are still harping about the non-existent 1%.

We fly. We pay for our flying. We earn Aeropesos and AQM and so on. Some of us actually enjoy flying. Others enjoy toasters.

Happy travels.

AC only really gives their naming rights. CC companies, still have to buy the points. What AC didn’t’ like, was the fact they were losing a lot of rev from the purchasing of the point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.