Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
OK, this is hilarious

In the email, there is this link

It takes you to this page

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...32%7C677555041

Where I saw this post:

LMAO, not because of the answer but because we now have an answer and this post is still there. Paging editing department.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
That's Mark's signature?

Last edited by longtimeflyin; Aug 21, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:35 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
AC buys Aerplan

This was so predictable and only shows AC was a bunch of idiots threatening to set up their own program.

Long live Aeroplan !!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:00 pm

What happens to Aimia talking to OneWorld partners? Are they not talking anymore :P ?

I guess the sooner AC buys back Aeroplan, the less weird deals Aimia will make. I was hoping to see we can use Aeroplan points to pay off my mortgage offshore.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
That's Mark's signature?
Arabic?

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left

Where I saw this post:

LMAO, not because of the answer but because we now have an answer and this post is still there. Paging editing department.
Actually that statement seems to remain accurate. They are still going ahaed with their new program.

Goal of the "purchase" is to reassure people won't lose their AE miles, that's all. Apart from that, Aeroplan is more or less an empty shell. And would have got worse as the demise date would be approached. Worthless. Still, I suppose this is good news for AE employees.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'd rather fly Westjet than Rouge TPAC so I'm all for that.
Isnt Rogue Plus on 767 much better than Y on mainline TPAC/
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'd rather fly Westjet than Rouge TPAC so I'm all for that.
I'd rather get to my destination on time than take off 2 days later on a plane with slightly more leg room

While I'm not a fan of Rogue, or AC for that matter (I'm a UA guy, at least for now), all the other outfits in Canada (WS,PD, etc.) prove that there are things worse than AC. I'm going to hold further judgement on Rogue until I fly it next month (short-haul YYZ->MAN) but so far doesn't seem that bad: you get all the *Gold benefits. Just have to remember to bring some booze onto the plane from the MLL

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cyralax
Just got the email blast from AC. Anyone notice in the email preview there’s a mention of a 15% discount? Using gmail.
Yeah, it's in an alt tag in the header ... but there's no actual discount code for email geeks, sorry
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cyralax
Just got the email blast from AC. Anyone notice in the email preview there’s a mention of a 15% discount? Using gmail.
yes, it says Web Version 15% DISCOUNT 15% DISCOUNT on the gmail subject line preview, and also said it where the big image of the plane was placed in the email. until I clicked to allow the image (then it went away).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:42 pm

On a side note, wouldn't be surprised if AC walks away from that deal once Aeroplan burns its bridges with OW, Transat and the skunk airline, thereby destroying the bargaining position they had and causing them to have a fire-sale on the program. Unsure if Aimia has the bargaining power to have a clause whereby if the Air Canada,TD, CIBC & Visa consortium (Air Bank) walks away from the deal they have to pony up money but seems unlikely especially given how ecstatic shareholders and directors are on reaching this new deal.

As for AE, I suspect that agreement will hold till 2020 for a number of reasons. For one, terminating the deal now would raise eyebrows with the Competition Bureau who will be suspicious of a consortium of banks controlling a global loyalty program. Second, AE likely needs time to find a * partner to takeover for Aeroplan, since they're a transfer partner used globally (not just AE cards in Canada). My bet would be that AV would be the new * transfer partner for AE, they seem to have an aggressive marketing outfit selling their Aeropesos to customers. Thirdly, Air Bank's operations are mainly focused in Canada, not affected by AE cards issued in the USA or overseas for that matter. Perhaps Air Bank will have a stipulation that post-2020 AE will have Aeroplan as a transfer partner outside of Canada.

Only time will tell I suppose.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by WWannabe
Yes, "dump and run" will be a strategy, for sure, although Amex won't like it very much. If this happens, I'll move my MRs and cancel my Amex Gold card. Not an outcome they want, for sure. Hopefully they'll make other alliances.
I don't see what the issue is. I have a RBC Visa Avion as well as an AMEX Platinum. Both are very flexible programs. I can buy flights from virtually anyone. The only problem with being an a bank rewards program is access to the front cabin. That is usually where I use my Aeroplan points.

My prediction going forward is given AMEX already has a strong relationship with Delta, having them go over to partnering with WestJet is a logical fit. Where does that leave Air Canada.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
My prediction going forward is given AMEX already has a strong relationship with Delta, having them go over to partnering with WestJet is a logical fit. Where does that leave Air Canada.
But that doesn't solve the problem of AE not having a *A transfer partner anywhere! One of the appeals of the AE airline program is you can transfer points to all the major alliances (i.e. DL for SkyTeam, BA for OW, Aeroplan for *A). That being said, the fixed points travel program is appealing, especially when fares are cheap enough since you'll earn PQMs on those flights!

-James
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by spartac
Can someone clarify or correct my understanding of today's announcement:
1) AC (and Co) are only buying the Aeroplan's miles from Aimia, not the Aeroplan program itself
2) Aeroplan program (or whatever name AIMIA will chose) might still exist post acquisition, possibly with its newly announced partnerships with Porter and Transat?
3) AC could change the rules of redemption (read: devaluation) at any point after the acquisition, and not necessarily honour the agreement that things will remain the same until June 2020.
Aimia the company that owns the Aeroplan program also owns other programs, such as a program in Mexico and some loyalty programs in the middle east. The deal is only for AIMIA. Basically a sale of some asset but not all assets.

It is hard to know without seeing the details, but the deal with Porter and Transat may not be that bad. One would assume Aimia goal in making these deal was to be profitable and the deal with these airline is not some lost leader where the profit off others in the program. For AC selling miles to a competitor may not be that bad. If AC want to reduce the number of low margin seats it makes available for mile redemption shifting those low margin seats onto the competition is not that bad.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
But that doesn't solve the problem of AE not having a *A transfer partner anywhere! One of the appeals of the AE airline program is you can transfer points to all the major alliances (i.e. DL for SkyTeam, BA for OW, Aeroplan for *A). That being said, the fixed points travel program is appealing, especially when fares are cheap enough since you'll earn PQMs on those flights!

-James
Could be wrong but I thought AMEX also had a transfer option into ANA and Singapore airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.