Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Stranded bags pile up at Trudeau International Airport

Stranded bags pile up at Trudeau International Airport

Old Aug 20, 18, 8:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,756
Stranded bags pile up at Trudeau International Airport

CBC news on lost/delayed bags.... looks like a 1000 bags according to a customer. Blamed on IRROPs. Customer went to the airport and found their bag by searching for it.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...6Xq?li=AArWeBz

I think that Sponge Bob bag will be reunited with its owner quickly.
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Posts: 189
That does not look like a thousand bags. Not at all.
canadiancow likes this.
trek604 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:36 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,183
That "pile" in the article's picture though, doesn't seem to capture the full breadth (looks like there is more on the left).

However, if the pic is actually representative of the "pile" at YUL, then that's nothing.

I've seen much bigger "piles" of delayed AC bags at YYZ after IRROPs. I knew it was "AC" because it was somewhat cordoned off and there was a sign indicating AC.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:38 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,756
I am guessing that is the 'pile' in which the customer found their bag and that there are other 'piles' around, depending on the flights. Yes, seen much worse at YYZ.
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:30 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (Wave as you fly over)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 3,683
I'm not sure about 1,000 bags, but there was over an hour wait for cabs at YUL last night and even Uber couldn't provide cars (first time I'v seen the app timeout). I think all of the families were return from Summer holidays at the same time.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:46 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: YVR
Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Posts: 826
Wink

Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
Sponge Bob bag
That's a minion from the movie Despicable Me
zoobtoob is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Posts: 5,427
Bags have definitely multiplied since I was last through there on Tuesday.

This is from a few minutes ago


ffsim is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:56 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,183
Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
Bags have definitely multiplied since I was last through there on Tuesday.

This is from a few minutes ago



No doubt there are a lot of bags! It looks like (?) the section in the news article of the OP can be seen at the back of your pic.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 10:06 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Posts: 5,427
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
No doubt there are a lot of bags! It looks like (?) the section in the news article of the OP can be seen at the back of your pic.
Yep, thatís why I took a wider angle shot. The number of bags have definitely been trending the wrong way since last week... that whole corner of the arrival baggage claim is roped off and full of bags.
ffsim is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 10:06 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,761
I'm almost certain that booster seat in the front row is mine.
It's not there because of IRROPS. It's there because the agent tagged it to YUL rather than our destination.
The rest of our suitcases were tagged correctly.
tracon is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 10:25 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Grounded until Q3 2021
Programs: Build a RoboCop Statue in Detroit
Posts: 2,712
Dismissive claims of there being more bags abandoned in YYZ are irrelevant.
YUL services about 18 million pax. YYZ has much more traffic with 47million+ pax, so there is a greater likelihood of there being more bags lying about at YYZ.

It looks like the MSN photo was taken in the YUL domestic baggage area, and sad to say, based upon my experience, the image is not uncommon. What is not shown, is that the AC agents will come along every so often and scoop some of the bags and bring them somewhere else.

Here's an example of an offpeak time with no weather excuses to blame.



I believe that a large part of the problem is related to the transfer of baggage from international flights at YYZ and YVR. Pax leave the bags with the baggage drop off at the International arrivals and then transfer to their domestic flights. For whatever reason, the bags just don't make the connection and are sent on a later flight.

Another irritant at YUL is that there is no security at the baggage carousels. Anyone can walk in from the public area. I think it is one of the only large airports in North America where the baggage area is not secured in a restricted area, i.e. behind glass. I expect that some of the "lost" bags reported in YUL are actually stolen bags.
Transpacificflyer is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 10:39 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
Dismissive claims of there being more bags abandoned in YYZ are irrelevant.
YUL services about 18 million pax. YYZ has much more traffic with 47million+ pax, so there is a greater likelihood of there being more bags lying about at YYZ.

It looks like the MSN photo was taken in the YUL domestic baggage area, and sad to say, based upon my experience, the image is not uncommon. What is not shown, is that the AC agents will come along every so often and scoop some of the bags and bring them somewhere else.

Here's an example of an offpeak time with no weather excuses to blame.



I believe that a large part of the problem is related to the transfer of baggage from international flights at YYZ and YVR. Pax leave the bags with the baggage drop off at the International arrivals and then transfer to their domestic flights. For whatever reason, the bags just don't make the connection and are sent on a later flight.

Another irritant at YUL is that there is no security at the baggage carousels. Anyone can walk in from the public area. I think it is one of the only large airports in North America where the baggage area is not secured in a restricted area, i.e. behind glass. I expect that some of the "lost" bags reported in YUL are actually stolen bags.
The extra security at YVR and YYZ is an optical illusion. The airport authority hired magicians as interior designers.

YYZ appears to be behind glass doors designed to open in only one way, however you just need to take the escalator up stairs and back down again to get into the baggage area.

YVR is protected by this fake field stone wall, (or more likely fake river stone wall). More recently they tried to install those swing gate things you find at drug stores entrenches.

YYC missed the memo on hiring magicians for baggage claim. So it is equally as wide open as Montreal.
canadiancow likes this.
Fiordland is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 10:42 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,183
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
The extra security at YVR and YYZ is an optical illusion. The airport authority hired magicians as interior designers.

YYZ appears to be behind glass doors designed to open in only one way, however you just need to take the escalator up stairs and back down again to get into the baggage area.

YVR is protected by this fake field stone wall, (or more likely fake river stone wall). More recently they tried to install those swing gate things you find at drug stores entrenches.

YYC missed the memo on hiring magicians for baggage claim. So it is equally as wide open as Montreal.
Correct, and many airports in North America are setup this way regarding their respective domestic arrivals luggage halls.
ffsim likes this.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 6:43 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,756
Originally Posted by zoobtoob View Post
That's a minion from the movie Despicable Me
Sorry, should have looked more closely
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 6:45 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,756
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
I'm almost certain that booster seat in the front row is mine.
It's not there because of IRROPS. It's there because the agent tagged it to YUL rather than our destination.
The rest of our suitcases were tagged correctly.
Maybe fliers should post more pictures. At least customers in YUL can then drive there and pick up their bags navigating the baggage hall with pictures. Pokemon game !!
vernonc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: