Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Stranded bags pile up at Trudeau International Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

CBC news on lost/delayed bags.... looks like a 1000 bags according to a customer. Blamed on IRROPs. Customer went to the airport and found their bag by searching for it.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...6Xq?li=AArWeBz

I think that Sponge Bob bag will be reunited with its owner quickly.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
That does not look like a thousand bags. Not at all.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
That "pile" in the article's picture though, doesn't seem to capture the full breadth (looks like there is more on the left).

However, if the pic is actually representative of the "pile" at YUL, then that's nothing.

I've seen much bigger "piles" of delayed AC bags at YYZ after IRROPs. I knew it was "AC" because it was somewhat cordoned off and there was a sign indicating AC.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I am guessing that is the 'pile' in which the customer found their bag and that there are other 'piles' around, depending on the flights. Yes, seen much worse at YYZ.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:30 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I'm not sure about 1,000 bags, but there was over an hour wait for cabs at YUL last night and even Uber couldn't provide cars (first time I'v seen the app timeout). I think all of the families were return from Summer holidays at the same time.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Wink

Originally Posted by vernonc
Sponge Bob bag
That's a minion from the movie Despicable Me
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Bags have definitely multiplied since I was last through there on Tuesday.

This is from a few minutes ago

Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim
Bags have definitely multiplied since I was last through there on Tuesday.

This is from a few minutes ago

No doubt there are a lot of bags! It looks like (?) the section in the news article of the OP can be seen at the back of your pic.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
No doubt there are a lot of bags! It looks like (?) the section in the news article of the OP can be seen at the back of your pic.
Yep, that’s why I took a wider angle shot. The number of bags have definitely been trending the wrong way since last week... that whole corner of the arrival baggage claim is roped off and full of bags.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:06 pm

I'm almost certain that booster seat in the front row is mine.
It's not there because of IRROPS. It's there because the agent tagged it to YUL rather than our destination.
The rest of our suitcases were tagged correctly.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Dismissive claims of there being more bags abandoned in YYZ are irrelevant.
YUL services about 18 million pax. YYZ has much more traffic with 47million+ pax, so there is a greater likelihood of there being more bags lying about at YYZ.

It looks like the MSN photo was taken in the YUL domestic baggage area, and sad to say, based upon my experience, the image is not uncommon. What is not shown, is that the AC agents will come along every so often and scoop some of the bags and bring them somewhere else.

Here's an example of an offpeak time with no weather excuses to blame.

I believe that a large part of the problem is related to the transfer of baggage from international flights at YYZ and YVR. Pax leave the bags with the baggage drop off at the International arrivals and then transfer to their domestic flights. For whatever reason, the bags just don't make the connection and are sent on a later flight.

Another irritant at YUL is that there is no security at the baggage carousels. Anyone can walk in from the public area. I think it is one of the only large airports in North America where the baggage area is not secured in a restricted area, i.e. behind glass. I expect that some of the "lost" bags reported in YUL are actually stolen bags.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Dismissive claims of there being more bags abandoned in YYZ are irrelevant.
YUL services about 18 million pax. YYZ has much more traffic with 47million+ pax, so there is a greater likelihood of there being more bags lying about at YYZ.

It looks like the MSN photo was taken in the YUL domestic baggage area, and sad to say, based upon my experience, the image is not uncommon. What is not shown, is that the AC agents will come along every so often and scoop some of the bags and bring them somewhere else.

Here's an example of an offpeak time with no weather excuses to blame.

I believe that a large part of the problem is related to the transfer of baggage from international flights at YYZ and YVR. Pax leave the bags with the baggage drop off at the International arrivals and then transfer to their domestic flights. For whatever reason, the bags just don't make the connection and are sent on a later flight.

Another irritant at YUL is that there is no security at the baggage carousels. Anyone can walk in from the public area. I think it is one of the only large airports in North America where the baggage area is not secured in a restricted area, i.e. behind glass. I expect that some of the "lost" bags reported in YUL are actually stolen bags.
The extra security at YVR and YYZ is an optical illusion. The airport authority hired magicians as interior designers.

YYZ appears to be behind glass doors designed to open in only one way, however you just need to take the escalator up stairs and back down again to get into the baggage area.

YVR is protected by this fake field stone wall, (or more likely fake river stone wall). More recently they tried to install those swing gate things you find at drug stores entrenches.

YYC missed the memo on hiring magicians for baggage claim. So it is equally as wide open as Montreal.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The extra security at YVR and YYZ is an optical illusion. The airport authority hired magicians as interior designers.

YYZ appears to be behind glass doors designed to open in only one way, however you just need to take the escalator up stairs and back down again to get into the baggage area.

YVR is protected by this fake field stone wall, (or more likely fake river stone wall). More recently they tried to install those swing gate things you find at drug stores entrenches.

YYC missed the memo on hiring magicians for baggage claim. So it is equally as wide open as Montreal.
Correct, and many airports in North America are setup this way regarding their respective domestic arrivals luggage halls.
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
That's a minion from the movie Despicable Me
Sorry, should have looked more closely
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
I'm almost certain that booster seat in the front row is mine.
It's not there because of IRROPS. It's there because the agent tagged it to YUL rather than our destination.
The rest of our suitcases were tagged correctly.
Maybe fliers should post more pictures. At least customers in YUL can then drive there and pick up their bags navigating the baggage hall with pictures. Pokemon game !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.