Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IROPS on Reward ticket without status

IROPS on Reward ticket without status

Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I don’t think OMW is available if flying international to domestic however. is: LHR YHZ YYZ or something.

Last edited by jc94; Aug 20, 2018 at 5:36 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
I don’t think OMW isn’t available if flying international to domestic however. is: LHR YHZ YYZ or something.
Trying to say that you don’t think OMW is available if flying internationally, I suppose?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Stranger
Trying to say that you don’t think OMW is available if flying internationally, I suppose?
Oops yes. But it’s not just not available LHR YYZ but also if you fly a route that has a domestic hop, where it would be available if I booked as separate tickets.

Because if I could pay $25 to protect my Dom/TB segment of an international ticket in winter, I would. Still I will be checking m my card. I fully expect things to go wrong when I travel Jan/Feb.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Yes, Aeroplan bookings are eligible for OMW unless it is changed recently.
I have bought it before on an Aeroplan ticket.
Interesting - the OMW terms & FAQ indicate it's only available for tickets purchased at aircanada.com.
But they also include US Airways in a list of airlines that they'll rebook you on, so the details may be out of date
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Does that mean the traveller has to be the ticket holder? Or that the reward ticket holder must be travelling together , on the same flight as the cardholder?
Here're the policy wordings of the CIBC version of the Aerogold Visa Infinite with respect to Trip Interruptions:

Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
Interesting - the OMW terms & FAQ indicate it's only available for tickets purchased at aircanada.com.
But they also include US Airways in a list of airlines that they'll rebook you on, so the details may be out of date
Not sure if it's an AC IT glitch. OMW option was available for purchase at My Bookings on my last redemption ticket to Florida in February after completing the booking at Aeroplan.com. I bought it because it's winter and weather could be unpredictable. Prepaid meal voucher was also available for purchase.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Oops yes. But it’s not just not available LHR YYZ but also if you fly a route that has a domestic hop, where it would be available if I booked as separate tickets.

Because if I could pay $25 to protect my Dom/TB segment of an international ticket in winter, I would. Still I will be checking m my card. I fully expect things to go wrong when I travel Jan/Feb.
AFAIK OMW is unavailable for the domestic/TB portion of an international ticket. Worse if you are not SE and travelling in business class. You will not be eligible for concierge service until you reach the departing airport of your international flight. If you are travelling YYZ-YUL-CDG and you are delayed in YYZ, you have neither OMW nor the famous concierge service because your eligibility does not start until you reach YUL. The only exception is your domestic connector is a Signature service flight.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the constructive responses.

Updates:

- My parents ultimately reached their destination, about 25hrs later, and without bags. They spent about 6 hours at YVR trying to standby. Although I noted them well down the standby list for the afternoon flight, they actually made it (I was amazed).

- Their bags followed, approximately 48 hrs from original departure.

- The Air Canada website now notes fire/smoke issues and free rebooking at YXC & YCD with a claimed posting of Aug 20th (which was not online by mid-afternoon Aug 20th, but immaterial as it was still a minimum 2 days late from the regional press release, let alone actual conditions and wildfires prior to that). FYI AC also now offers 25% discounts for people traveling to/from affected areas - trying to keep up with WS and P8. The air for the moment is amazingly clear in YXC, yet there is now a rebook option - ha!

- At least my lounge passes gifted to them found a very good use!

The crux of this post/question revolves around two key issues:

1. What is AC's obligation to update their travel notices?

2. What is AC's obligation to properly discuss potentials and options upon departure?
(They were notified they could rebook. I was not there, but have the impression it was not considered likely, or what the consequences of being stuck mid travel would be).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by eracerblue
Thanks for all of the constructive responses.

Updates:

- My parents ultimately reached their destination, about 25hrs later, and without bags. They spent about 6 hours at YVR trying to standby. Although I noted them well down the standby list for the afternoon flight, they actually made it (I was amazed).

- Their bags followed, approximately 48 hrs from original departure.

- The Air Canada website now notes fire/smoke issues and free rebooking at YXC & YCD with a claimed posting of Aug 20th (which was not online by mid-afternoon Aug 20th, but immaterial as it was still a minimum 2 days late from the regional press release, let alone actual conditions and wildfires prior to that). FYI AC also now offers 25% discounts for people traveling to/from affected areas - trying to keep up with WS and P8. The air for the moment is amazingly clear in YXC, yet there is now a rebook option - ha!

- At least my lounge passes gifted to them found a very good use!

2. What is AC's obligation to properly discuss potentials and options upon departure?
(They were notified they could rebook. I was not there, but have the impression it was not considered likely, or what the consequences of being stuck mid travel would be).
1. I'm not sure of any legal requirement. I mean, it is called a "goodwill" policy. Also, IMOH, I find AC to be pretty good/generous with these policies. Aside from a broken self rebooting tool, you won't have to argue to get rebooked once the alerts are up. They are also often up for the eastern sea board. (AC often seems to only list YYZ, but considering nearly all USNE flights go through YYZ they get covered anyway).

2. I am not sure the best way is to advise every single passenger. A 2 minutes check in can become a 15 minutes conversation about "should you or should you not rebook" and "what are the back up plans". When the queues at the airport are 45 minutes long during IROP time, making the average handle time go from 2m to 4m would create a 1.5h queue time. So I think this is where it becomes each individual's responsibility to make themselves aware of what could go wrong and start taking initiative. Especially since it's not sure yet if the flights are to be cancelled or not.

That being said, it would've been nice of AC to put that travel alert earlier.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:54 pm

1. Obligation to update travel notices is based on individual airline and pilot's operational risk assessment. So yes there is an obligation to provide update, but the word "promptly" is subjective.

2. Potential issues, travel options and ultimate selection are really at your own risk. No one can guarantee that rebooking will necessary get you there.

This is where no good deed goes unpunished. Perhaps that first check-in agent shouldn't have speculated and tell your family members about the flight situation, since you now feel entitled that they're responsible for your travel disruption. Instead they should have just referred you to AC's travel advisory and leave it at that.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Instead they should have just referred you to AC's travel advisory and leave it at that.
The non-existing advisory?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:31 pm

The non-existing advisory?
Then the staff should not have speculated at all. This is where a customer focused intelligent staff making unofficial comments that turned out to be true.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Looping back to the OP: there were WS flights operating as normal but AC’s weren’t (if I read that correctly). In this situation, smoke/weather was not a contributing factor since it would have affected all flights, so it sounds like a situation that was within the airlines’ control — they chose to not operate that flight. As such, wouldn’t the pax be entitled to compensation?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEGcg
Looping back to the OP: there were WS flights operating as normal but AC’s weren’t (if I read that correctly). In this situation, smoke/weather was not a contributing factor since it would have affected all flights, so it sounds like a situation that was within the airlines’ control — they chose to not operate that flight. As such, wouldn’t the pax be entitled to compensation?
No. Read the tariffs.

Also, different airlines may read issues differently. Take less of a chance. Or more.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by YEGcg
Different airlines manage risk, service recovery and priorities differently.

In my recollection, during storms Asian carriers typically operate as scheduled while North American carriers hold back (unless it’s very bad). Similarly look at AF YYz incident, as other airlines held back or diverted, AF decided to land in the storm.

Therefore just because WS did so doesn’t mean other airlines must follow. Since the contributing factor was not within an airline’s control hence there is no obligation on AC’s part. Once again, I emphasize ‘contributing factor’ not final discretion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.