Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
From j2simpso:

Based on that I thought I'd put together a firm plan for next week's event:
  • Where : Jersey Giant Pub, Toronto [Reservation booked for 6:45 PM under James Simpson a.k.a. Oscar Munõz]
  • When : Friday September 7th from 7 PM to 9 PM
Please let me know if this revised plan makes sense. If we can get a decent size audience for the event (i.e. >5 FTers) then I'll go ahead and make the necessary arrangements.

Confirmed
j2simpso (organizer)
Jma12
songsc
yyznomad
BackSlash3
znke252 (can arrive earlier)
Jumper Jack (might arrive between 6:30-7:00pm-ish)
jc94 (arrive 6:15-6:30, earlier if others can make it)

Standby
WS operated and non overbooked flight.

VDB (Regrets)
meagicano (Jays batting practice + game tickets)
Print Wikipost

September miniDO : Just DO IT!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I wasn't aware of this because I'm so new around here. I'm really disappointed to be missing the chance to meet some of you folk and enjoy the greatest city on earth but I get in from DUS on Friday afternoon and leave early Sunday for IAD. I think my wife would have something to say if I spent the 1 day I had home out with a bunch of flying nuts.
It's called date night; bring her along - I've been to a few Do's and several people have brought +1's. I won't be attending and I haven't been following that thread other than looking at it just now, but if you go to the dinner I'm sure it'll be fine. Plus that way you might not refer to other FT'ers as "nuts."
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YEG USER
It's called date night; bring her along - I've been to a few Do's and several people have brought +1's. I won't be attending and I haven't been following that thread other than looking at it just now, but if you go to the dinner I'm sure it'll be fine. Plus that way you might not refer to other FT'ers as "nuts."
On the other hand ...
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Plus that way you might not refer to other FT'ers as "nuts."
You mean, he may find stronger words to describe some of us?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I wasn't aware of this because I'm so new around here. I'm really disappointed to be missing the chance to meet some of you folk and enjoy the greatest city on earth but I get in from DUS on Friday afternoon and leave early Sunday for IAD. I think my wife would have something to say if I spent the 1 day I had home out with a bunch of flying nuts.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I can do the 1st or the 8th (both Saturdays). But for the 1st, I would have to leave by 6pm so perhaps a late lunch would work better for me.
Just to make this a bit more concrete I thought I'd throw out some dates and times - if we could have a vote on what works I'll make plans accordingly:
  • Saturday Sept 1 between 1 to 3 PM
  • Sunday Sept 2 between 4 to 6 PM
  • Friday Sept 7 between 7 to 9 PM
  • Saturday Sept 8 between 4 to 7 PM
  • Sunday Sept 9 between 1 to 3 PM
On a side note, during the weekend of Sept 7-9 the Blue Jays are in town in case there's any interest in catching a baseball match (which would also make this a more family friendly event). If we have enough interest in doing this we could perhaps do a group booking so we get a FlyerTalk video board greeting perhaps we could sit in the WS flight deck area to make it more aviation like.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've heard rumblings about a YYC do in September.
I'm fully booked for the YQB do.
And there's a YVR do I wouldn't mind attending, if the others don't get in the way.

I can't see myself doing 4 in one month
You gotta do the DOs...(and rack up the corresponding AQMs)!

Originally Posted by yyznomad
FTers Gone Wild, Volume I

"See them take off their luggage tags!"
- Joe Flyer
A couple more quotes to round out Volume 1 from elsewhere on FT:

"Just flash your plastic, that's how you get their attention"
"Tell her, 'there's nothing more romantic than being on a CRJ with you!'"
"You'd be surprised the type of people I meet with my guest privileges"
"...and that's why they have the no smoking sign in the lavs!"
"Just landed in YYT so I can earn my wings!"

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I don't think I can do any games, but I think I can do any of the Saturday or Sunday times you've mentioned above.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:26 pm

Just remember what’s going on YXU Sept 7-9 ...

https://airshowlondon.com/
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I am away during long weekend.. my vote is for the 7th
meagicano likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I am away during long weekend.. my vote is for the 7th
I’m down for the weekend of the 7th. Also cool with ball games.
I think I’ll be in yow for the long weekend! Yay!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Here's an updated proposal based on the feedback provided:
  • What : Airshow London
  • When : Saturday September 8 from 12 PM - Onwards
  • Where : London International Airport [2 hours 15 min by train/cab from Union Station]
  • How Much :
    • General Admission - $35
    • Runway Seating - $70
    • Flightliner Pub (include buffet & soft drinks) - $80
    • VIP Chalet (includes buffet & soft drinks) - $125
    • Photo Pit (tarmac, includes camera rental) - $100
Here's a video from
. Based on what I've seen there should be several venues for food & (soft/hard) drinks. Apparently they're the largest show of military aircraft in Canada and this year will feature a variety of aircraft from both US & Canadian Military. Certainly an appropriate venue for the DO!

Would appreciate everyone's feedback on the proposal (i.e. whether it makes logistical sense)!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
If it's YTZ as the original suggestion, then I'm in. But if it's YXU then unfortunately won't be able to make it.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:47 am

if u can get us a VIA discount or even better charter one coach + split the costs, I'm in.........
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:30 am

I'm okay with YTZ or YXU (VIP Chalet at the Airshow as it's reserved seating).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:14 am

Just to be clear if I’m at the airshow ... it’ll be with a friend and kids so most I’d likely be doing would be stopping by. So I wouldn’t count me towards any numbers there.

If it’s YTZ the Friday I may turn up briefly.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Hello again,

Thanks for the feedback provided!

Based on what I'm hearing we've got 2 possibilities moving forward:
  • Toronto - Meet & Greet [yyznomad, meagicano, znke252, JumperJack?]
    • When : Saturday September 8 from 4 to 7 PM
    • Where : Blue Jays Game / Restaurant Downtown
  • Airshow London [global_happy_traveller, znke252]
    • When : Saturday September 8 from 12 PM - Onwards
    • Where : London International Airport [2 hours 15 min by train/cab from Union Station]
If I were to just count the votes and overall feedback on the topic it seems that the Toronto option is more favoured by the community and equally important is logistically simpler on everyone. Let me know if I've misread that.

Supposing that's the case, the only question I have now is where do we want to meet up (seems like Saturday September 8th is our best bet). Shall we do Blue Jays or meet up somewhere at Toronto (i.e. a restaurant)?

Please let me know either way as I'd like to get this DO event off the ground so to speak.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Would prefer Friday night if possible. But can still make Saturday if attendance is reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.