Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Same Day Change - Most Effective Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Change - Most Effective Process

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
So can I ask the Concierge in advance to do a SDC on the day off ? i.e. can I send them an email on Mon to process a SDC on Thursday ? I understand the SDC will not be processed till Thursday but will they accept this or will they ask me to contact them on Thurs ?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I was taking the "Same Day" part pretty literally and was going to ask first thing on that day (about 12 hours before desired flight).

But would be curious to see the response to @vernonc's question.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by vernonc
So can I ask the Concierge in advance to do a SDC on the day off ? i.e. can I send them an email on Mon to process a SDC on Thursday ? I understand the SDC will not be processed till Thursday but will they accept this or will they ask me to contact them on Thurs ?
I would not ask this of the Concierge, and I suspect you may get routed to the SE Desk. Though YMMV.

I would only ask on the same day of a flight.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Yeah I don't think asking the concierge to remember to do it 4 days later, especially when they, working 7 days a week, might be off (or even not on shift) is that fair.

And of course, none of this helps the non SE who don't have (non airport) concierge access.. OLCI on day of is clearly the correct way to do this - if AC IT permits it. Which in my experience, it sometimes does.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Yeah I don't think asking the concierge to remember to do it 4 days later, especially when they, working 7 days a week, might be off (or even not on shift) is that fair.

And of course, none of this helps the non SE who don't have (non airport) concierge access.. OLCI on day of is clearly the correct way to do this - if AC IT permits it. Which in my experience, it sometimes does.
Ok, here is an example. I have a SFO-YYZ red eye flight departing at 10.40pm. I am quite sure my meetings for the week will end early so now I want to change to the 4.40pm flight. OLCI will only be available based on my original flight - or am I missing something ? So I got to stay up to 10.40pm previous night to do a OLCI and change to earlier flight assuming it allows me too ? I would also want to snag a decent seat in Y so I do not want to wait for airport checkin.
And re the concierge question, this is a central email and phone line so should not be too difficult to queue it in a task list. Anyway, whatever.
I do not normally change flights so pardon the ignorant questions from a SE.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Many years ago, I had sent the YVR concierge an email to ask about standby for a booking a few weeks in the future. They gave me the answer.

Day of, I called. They had already processed my request, because they'd made a note of it.

I certainly wouldn't depend on that, but it's definitely possible.
vernonc likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:07 pm

Ok, here is an example. I have a SFO-YYZ red eye flight departing at 10.40pm. I am quite sure my meetings for the week will end early so now I want to change to the 4.40pm flight. OLCI will only be available based on my original flight - or am I missing something ? So I got to stay up to 10.40pm previous night to do a OLCI and change to earlier flight assuming it allows me too ? I would also want to snag a decent seat in Y so I do not want to wait for airport checkin.
And re the concierge question, this is a central email and phone line so should not be too difficult to queue it in a task list. Anyway, whatever.
I do not normally change flights so pardon the ignorant questions from a SE.
So the concierge desk said they would only do SDC on the calendar day of the flight, not 24hrs before. I need to call in on the day of the flight.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC 75K
So the concierge desk said they would only do SDC on the calendar day of the flight, not 24hrs before. I need to call in on the day of the flight.
Thats the ‘same day’ part of same day change.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

To report back, in my case I reached out by email on the day of my flight (about 11 hours before the SDC target flight) to get an earlier connecting flight. The Concierge said they would need to talk to me over the phone and called me within a few minutes of me being available.

Due to some complexity that was never explained, the Concierge also had to speak with someone in AC (I presume Reservations) before making the change. While I was on hold, things went sideways with my first flight. So in the end I opted not to proceed with the SDC due my very late departure which would have made connecting to the onward 'changed' flight impossible anyway.

So, overall a not bad experience although not seen through to the end. But I would try it again should the opportunity arise.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

I understand the same day part of SDC.
What I was checking was whether I could make the request of the concierge a day in advance and they could process on the day of the flight.
As per my example, if I check in for my flight at 10.40pm PST tonight, I can (hopefully) make a SDC for tomorrows flight. But my option now is to stay awake after midnight to call AC or do the SDC sometime in the morning to make their calendar day requirement.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
remember folks the harder SDC is to do (stay up till midnight local time for SE100k or go physically to airport for non SE), the more likely there will still be space available on desirable flights to change to
vernonc likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
To report back, in my case I reached out by email on the day of my flight (about 11 hours before the SDC target flight) to get an earlier connecting flight. The Concierge said they would need to talk to me over the phone and called me within a few minutes of me being available.

Due to some complexity that was never explained, the Concierge also had to speak with someone in AC (I presume Reservations) before making the change. While I was on hold, things went sideways with my first flight. So in the end I opted not to proceed with the SDC due my very late departure which would have made connecting to the onward 'changed' flight impossible anyway.

So, overall a not bad experience although not seen through to the end. But I would try it again should the opportunity arise.
Interesting. We're you speaking to someone at the airport? The good thing about AC centralizing the concierge desk at YUL is that they can use both RESIII for bookings and DCS for airport functions. They can't print you a boarding pass or take you through Z1, but I find this better than having to talk to a concierge that ultimately just ends up being an intermediate party talking to a normal agent over the phone...

Probably frees up airport concierges too.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Apparently @vernonc doesn't get the same SDC privileges* as @canadiancow

* https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30090824-post21.html
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Apparently @vernonc doesn't get the same SDC privileges* as @canadiancow

* https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30090824-post21.html
No, I do not :-(
However I did call in at 24 hrs before my original dep time of 10.45pm PST and got my flight changed to an earlier one. So it was not quite calendar day either but maybe it was the right day at the YUL call centre based on EST.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Interesting. We're you speaking to someone at the airport?
I had my butt parked in the lounge in SCL and called the Concierge from there. Not sure where they were located.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.