Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan issues with award redemption on partner airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:20 pm

I wasn't following the issue back then because everything seemed fine with the reservations, I had even confirmed seat preference with TK directly by phone.

We only found out about the problem when we tried to make our online check-in, there was no reservation in their system.

We called AE and they tried to fix it, we were in line as soon as the gate opened and I already had AE on the line and they said they would have to purchase the tickets.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mabio
I wasn't following the issue back then because everything seemed fine with the reservations, I had even confirmed seat preference with TK directly by phone.

We only found out about the problem when we tried to make our online check-in, there was no reservation in their system.

We called AE and they tried to fix it, we were in line as soon as the gate opened and I already had AE on the line and they said they would have to purchase the tickets.
Wow. That’s wild. Leaving aside the technical incompetence, I must say that Aeroplan has been VERY good at taking care of people in my experience. I had a MLE-SIN flight on SQ that got changed to MI and Aeroplan couldn’t ticket onto it, so they rerouted me on EK (!!). When the LX F mistake happened and they lost a friend’s seat, they had him buy the ticket and send him a $10K cheque to compensate. Etc. So the customer service part when stuff goes wrong, I have no problem with. It’s the things going wrong in the first place ...
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Wow. That’s wild. Leaving aside the technical incompetence, I must say that Aeroplan has been VERY good at taking care of people in my experience. I had a MLE-SIN flight on SQ that got changed to MI and Aeroplan couldn’t ticket onto it, so they rerouted me on EK (!!). When the LX F mistake happened and they lost a friend’s seat, they had him buy the ticket and send him a $10K cheque to compensate. Etc. So the customer service part when stuff goes wrong, I have no problem with. It’s the things going wrong in the first place ...
It's stories like these that make me wary of AC's takeover of AE. I also have heard of AE buying full J/F for people when issues occurred, and these full J/F tickets count towards status, too. But once AE is under AC control, I don't see AC doing this for customers. Heck, AC would have no problems stranding paid J pax on its own metals, am I supposed to believe that they will put pax in full J/F on other carriers when the redeemed segments got problems?

As of now, LX/SK/NH/TG/LO are still blocked. Luckily BR/TK/OZ/UA/ET are still available to avoid YQ, but it's getting tougher to plan mini-RTWs.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by YYT82

It's stories like these that make me wary of AC's takeover of AE. I also have heard of AE buying full J/F for people when issues occurred, and these full J/F tickets count towards status, too. But once AE is under AC control, I don't see AC doing this for customers. Heck, AC would have no problems stranding paid J pax on its own metals, am I supposed to believe that they will put pax in full J/F on other carriers when the redeemed segments got problems?

As of now, LX/SK/NH/TG/LO are still blocked. Luckily BR/TK/OZ/UA/ET are still available to avoid YQ, but it's getting tougher to plan mini-RTWs.
Yup. I’m worried about the AC takeover as well. Not to mention that right after the announcement they went and settled that lawsuit so probably inflating # of miles, so a deval is all but inevitable ...
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:18 pm

Lots of people saying they've been able to at least see desired flights searching with Expert Flyer. I can not even see anything. I've spent literally hours searching using the free trial and have found nothing. A whole ton of routes and a whole ton of dates. Any Star Alliance carrier that goes NA-Europe i searched for a bunch of dates and not ONE J availability for two people.

Wondering if EF somehow limits search results if you're using the free trial? This is inexpiable really and super frustrating.

Would someone be able to give me a route and a date that they're seeing availability for? I cant even find high YQ flights to europe in J direct for two. Mind boggling
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by jfacowns
Lots of people saying they've been able to at least see desired flights searching with Expert Flyer. I can not even see anything. I've spent literally hours searching using the free trial and have found nothing. A whole ton of routes and a whole ton of dates. Any Star Alliance carrier that goes NA-Europe i searched for a bunch of dates and not ONE J availability for two people.

Wondering if EF somehow limits search results if you're using the free trial? This is inexpiable really and super frustrating.

Would someone be able to give me a route and a date that they're seeing availability for? I cant even find high YQ flights to europe in J direct for two. Mind boggling
Oct 30 - EWR-ZRH (LX)
Nov 6 - ORD-IST (TK)
Nov 7 - MIA-IST (TK)
Nov 2 - YYZ-WAW (LO)
Oct 24 - YUL-ZRH (LX)
Sep 17 - ORD-ARN (SK)

For J redemption TATL or TPAC, you either wait until extremely close to intended departure date or you go very far out. Otherwise, it will take some time finding them, which is why EF subscription makes it worthwhile. My mini-RTW strategy has been booking TATL/TPAC segments in Y on any *A airline first, and closer to departure look up YQ-free airlines J availability and then switch. I have no problems paying the change fees if that means I'll be in J.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:15 am

Thanks YYT82, they are showing up for me.

I booked 15 segments last march for a mini rtw i took in Aug. Booking in March, 5 months out, I was able to get 13 of 15 segments in J. Then the other two within days of departure..Now I'm trying to book like 4 segments for next June, 9 months out and nothing. Not one. Just wild. Hopefully this is not the beginning of the end with Aeroplan when it comes to value.

Is there anyone on here that would go 50/50 on a EF subscription?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jfacowns

I dont know why you are bothering with ExpertFlyer. Just use united.com
This doesnt of course change the fact that all those flights are bookable using united (and other) miles, but not Aeroplan.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
This appears to still be an issue. I've been trying to book business class CEB-YVR on Apr 18. Aeroplan shows mixed seat availability on Eva (fortunately, it's the relatively short CEB-TRE segment that's in coach. But when I try to purchase the ticket I keep getting:
THE ITINERARY YOU REQUESTED IS NOT AVAILABLE
We're sorry, but due to real-time availability, the itinerary you requested is no longer available.

I was able to see the same itinerary on united.com (sadly I don't have enough united points to purchase it there) so I'm pretty sure the problem is with Aeroplan.

Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Great White North
This appears to still be an issue. I've been trying to book business class CEB-YVR on Apr 18. Aeroplan shows mixed seat availability on Eva (fortunately, it's the relatively short CEB-TRE segment that's in coach. But when I try to purchase the ticket I keep getting:
We're sorry, but due to real-time availability, the itinerary you requested is no longer available.

I was able to see the same itinerary on united.com (sadly I don't have enough united points to purchase it there) so I'm pretty sure the problem is with Aeroplan.

Yes, the problem is with Aeroplan and not only with BR but other airlines as-well.

See this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...te-issues.html
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Great White North

For one pax or two? Availability in J is only for one.

I was able to book BR recently FYI.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
Unable to book SWISS Business via Aeroplan

I have never used Aeroplan, but I have a stash of AMEX points I was planning on transferring. Looking at flights around July 4th. Main flight is ORD-ZRH. United has saver level at 70k Business class. Expertflyer shows class "I" seats open. On the Aeroplan website, Swiss is not an option, just Turkish through Istanbul. I called Aeroplan and they said they dont have access to Swiss for this flight. Is that normal, or is this something that may pass soon if I just wait another week?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:20 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by truptravels
I have never used Aeroplan, but I have a stash of AMEX points I was planning on transferring. Looking at flights around July 4th. Main flight is ORD-ZRH. United has saver level at 70k Business class. Expertflyer shows class "I" seats open. On the Aeroplan website, Swiss is not an option, just Turkish through Istanbul. I called Aeroplan and they said they dont have access to Swiss for this flight. Is that normal, or is this something that may pass soon if I just wait another week?
I booked four business seats on a Swiss flight last February for a July flight, and noticed similar odd behaviour between United and Aeroplan availability. UA seemed to have more availability, while on Aeroplan there was only one flight a week with Swiss availability (Tuesday departure). That was for LX86/87 from YUL, and the returns only had availability for Thursdays.

In each case, United had shown available flights on other days, but Aeroplan seemed to prune them off (or they didn't see them).

Seemed quite odd, but I knew that calling in wouldn't help, with the agents probably seeing the same thing as me, and would give me a similar response about not having access to those flights.

In my case, I checked for two weeks before deciding not to chance it, with no changes in Aeroplan's display of Swiss availability, if that helps.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Weeks into it and no sign of any kind of "fix", no official statement from Aeroplan, nothing.

I'm starting to think that my summer trip to Denmark that I'm trying to book on AE to use up some remaining points isn't going to happen. $2,500 in YQ for 4 people on AC/LH is just nuts.

I wouldn't normally go to Asia in the summer since I find the heat and humidity to be too intense at many of the popular destinations (with kids in school it's nearly impossible to go in shoulder seasons as I used to). However, I'm starting to wonder if I should just pull the trigger on a nice low-YQ summer vacation to HKG or NRT before Aeroplan takes that option away too
Admiral Ackbar and unclepants like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I realize all these threads were started at different times for different reasons, but we seem to be at a point where I wonder if making this a Master Thread with a wiki that would include the links to threads like these:

What's up with LO awards?

Aeroplan Award Redemption (NH/TG ~355 days out)

and so on
heraclitus and Bohemian1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.