Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan issues with award redemption on partner airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan issues with award redemption on partner airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Update to my own problem - ended up calling in and having the agent book BR+OS manually because website was erroring out (like, flight would show but couldn’t book). Agent gave me some long speech about “capacity on website” and “many itineraries showing but not bookable” as a reason why they need to charge me $30. Fortunately, a supervisor fixed that broken logic.

Now I have to book CA flights... and the exact same thing is happening. Facepalm. Is ANYTHING bookable on the website?!?!?
Wait you actually got a supervisor to waive the $30 fee admitting their website being unusable was a good enough reason to waive it?

I sometimes wonder if the agents get the booking fees as part of their remuneration package.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jc94

Wait you actually got a supervisor to waive the $30 fee admitting their website being unusable was a good enough reason to waive it?

I sometimes wonder if the agents get the booking fees as part of their remuneration package.
Yup. Well - the agents can’t waive it. Need the supervisor to. I sometimes feel like the entire existence of Errorplan hinges on the $30 fee, so getting it waived is akin to getting someone to involuntarily donate a kidney or something.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Looks like Air Canada's reservation system (Reservac?) is experiencing connectivity issues with Amadeus (same system used by ANA/TG/TAP/SWISS/SQ/BR/LH and many other partners) .
At the moment, I can't see flights from ANA / Swiss / SAS, but can see flights from LH / SQ.

I spoke to an agent this morning, he said no ETA on a fix, but that "it sounds like it'll be sooner rather than later", whatever that means.

I asked if they were waiving change fees and booking fees for customers unable to book seats that are available, he said "no decision has been made about that yet".
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I called in 30 minutes ago, and an agent was able to see the IAD-NRT space on NH I've been hunting for. He was not able to see the connecting NRT-BKK space, so I just locked in the TPAC segment. Ticketing just went through a few moments ago.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
So you guys are just calling in to request flights that are usually there but have recently been rendered invisible?

I've been tracking YWG-YUL-ZRH-CPH with LX for the TATL segment and it was showing up every Sunday through the spring and early summer. Now it's invisible (although I can see it showing up as a saver option on united.com). So if I call and ask the AE agent to book it there's a chance it may be available?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Alaska Mileage Plan, CX Gold, SPG Gold, Aeroplan
I just called in to get the latest. The agent stated that there has been a technical issue since August 29 that "inhibits" booking Swiss. I had her try and book a specific LX segment that I confirmed was available in I class on both United and on EF and she added "there is no availability anyway". I corrected her in stating that there is, in fact, availability, but that Aeroplan just can't see it, let alone book it. I asked what folks like me are to do when their "technical issue" is resolved and the seats sought are gone. She said I would be "out of luck".

I am very suspicious of this situation. What are the chances that the most sought after YQ-free TATL award partner on Aeroplan has its bookings coincidentally "inhibited" just days after AC agrees to buy AE?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by TenForward
I just called in to get the latest. The agent stated that there has been a technical issue since August 29 that "inhibits" booking Swiss. I had her try and book a specific LX segment that I confirmed was available in I class on both United and on EF and she added "there is no availability anyway". I corrected her in stating that there is, in fact, availability, but that Aeroplan just can't see it, let alone book it. I asked what folks like me are to do when their "technical issue" is resolved and the seats sought are gone. She said I would be "out of luck".

I am very suspicious of this situation. What are the chances that the most sought after YQ-free TATL award partner on Aeroplan has its bookings coincidentally "inhibited" just days after AC agrees to buy AE?
I don't know the exact cause of this LX/SK/NH/LO inhibit issue, but I know I'm not looking forward to when the AC/AE transaction is complete.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards

It's highly suspicious indeed. It's funny how LH is totally unscathed by this problem.

I wonder if it's a HUACA situation to find someone savvy enough to book the flights I'm eyeing? I have definitely found the LX flights I want as saver awards on United. I guess there's only one way to find out... time to warm up that old dialing finger.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Alaska Mileage Plan, CX Gold, SPG Gold, Aeroplan
I don't think it's a HUACA situation as I have tried several agents (while simultaneously looking at the Aeroplan site, United and EF). Each time, the AE agents state that "there is no availability" as opposed to "yes it's available but we cannot currently book it." After reading this thread and calling in the first time, the agent actually tried to feed me the line that there is simply nothing available despite my telling her that there is I class space, but it is apparently a problem on your end. She insisted, asking "where are you seeing this space?" and I asked her to kindly check with her IT folks to see if it is a known issue. Sure enough, she came back and confirmed it is an IT issue with no ETA.

Interestingly, AE has not issued a news release on their site as they did when they had a similar problem in 2017. Again, very suspicious.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
I don't think it's a HUACA situation as I have tried several agents (while simultaneously looking at the Aeroplan site, United and EF). Each time, the AE agents state that "there is no availability" as opposed to "yes it's available but we cannot currently book it." After reading this thread and calling in the first time, the agent actually tried to feed me the line that there is simply nothing available despite my telling her that there is I class space, but it is apparently a problem on your end. She insisted, asking "where are you seeing this space?" and I asked her to kindly check with her IT folks to see if it is a known issue. Sure enough, she came back and confirmed it is an IT issue with no ETA.

Interestingly, AE has not issued a news release on their site as they did when they had a similar problem in 2017. Again, very suspicious.
Enough of a story for CBC to bite on? Would be better if someone had proof. It seems all too convenient for this "technical" issue to arise at this time. I'm still unable to book a reward via SK and LX that I had finally set segments on for next June. I will be pretty cheesed if the seats are gone by the time the "fix" happens....if it ever does.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:54 pm

In my particular case, BR was not showing - only TK was. But I knew BR was available as UA was showing it. I had them manually book it and it worked.

Not sure if this would work for the “blocked” carriers though. I know for a fact someone tried to book LO YYZ-WAW, and despite being available on UA, they couldn’t even manually / direct book it with AE.
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here's my question...

Assume that everything they've said is 100% accurate, and it's a technical issue they're actively working to fix as fast as they can.

Is it not still false advertising? They say I can book with all the Star partners (minus LX F, etc.). In fact, AC also makes this claim when you book mileage-earning flights with them.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
TG space isn't showing on AP.com once again, it was working fine yesterday.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:52 pm

I find it awfully convenient that AC made the bid on August 21 and since August 22 we can't book Swiss/Thai etc, yet its visible every where else. Awful coincidence or... ? Sitting on a ton of miles here and can't do squat with them. Very annoying.

Called in yesterday evening, was told they are not visible, cant book, IT is working on it, blabla.
unclepants likes this.

Last edited by wadnera; Sep 4, 2018 at 6:53 pm Reason: add detail
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
TG space isn't showing on AP.com once again, it was working fine yesterday.
Great! They’re enhancing the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.