Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Not permitted to fly - BAN from airline!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not permitted to fly - BAN from airline!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:30 am

Hearsay

I didn’t see anyone mention this, but.. OP says the husband’s altercation was only 3 sentences (and included curse words directed AT the agent). Op also says she was in a different part of the airport.

So we’re not just hearing one side of the altercation; we’re hearing what the man told his wife about the altercation. She wasn’t even there.

Maybe that’s irrelevant since what WAS admitted was already bad enough, but OP has no idea about body language or whether that’s REALLY all that happened.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:36 am

That being said, I had an issue in which a Gate Agent couldn't spell my name and wouldn't give me a boarding pass (this was pre 9-11 when boarding passes were issued at the gate). She started yelling and screaming at me and called me a liar. I just called the airline and a supervisor came out, gave me my boarding pass, and took the gate agent aside and chewed her out. The Gate Agent came onto the plane before takeoff and started into me again. Not wanting to make the evening news I got off of the plane and called the airline again. I later found out that the Agent had put a comment into my PNR. The Airline told me that PNR comments only last for the duration of the flight and that Gate Agents cannot put permanent comments into a passenger's profile. As for the Gate Agent, the next time that I flew through that airport she was a baggage handler. I had a choice, yell, scream, and curse and be on the 11 o'clock news, or smile, absorb the abuse, and let the airline handle it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

AMEN!

I think from the portion of helpful posts I do have some direction on how to deal with this through the airline. I don't know at this time STILL what the deal is if we are all banned or just had our flights cancelled. I appreciate the constructive comments.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps harping on my involvement or lack-thereof in my husbands behavior as I said from the very first post it was unacceptable and NOT OK I'm not defending it in any way. There is nothing I can do about what he did at this point other than make sure it doesn't happen again. We were already in another part of the airport when he told me of the altercation (which I didn't think much of at the time) and we were dealing with 2 very cranky children who had spent 6 hours traveling to get no-where. My first priority wasn't arranging an apology to an AC employee who was nothing but a jerk to us. Prejudice against us having children for sure. After what we had been through that day I might have lost my cool as well. If you think customer service is great at US airports then you must be living on a parallel planet that I'd love to come visit one day.

The only question I'd love to get answered today is how if any do you get in contact with someone at AC customer service. All I can get is an email form which seems so inappropriate for the scale of what happened. I'd love to get somewhere with them sooner than later since at the very least I'd like to get my money back.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Mnyclfyer
The only question I'd love to get answered today is how if any do you get in contact with someone at AC customer service. All I can get is an email form which seems so inappropriate for the scale of what happened. I'd love to get somewhere with them sooner than later since at the very least I'd like to get my money back.
The online form is the only official way to contact Customer Relations. You could try social media, but I don't think that's appropriate for this situation. Or, if you really feel strongly about the situation email an executive directly.

I would recommend the form.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MisterBill
How often is your seat mate booked on the same reservation as you are if they're not part of your family or your SO?
I'd say about 80-90% of the time.

Thought I'm sure if they thought you were "together" (chatting, whatever), they'd treat you no differently than in this case.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
I'd love to get somewhere with them sooner than later since at the very least I'd like to get my money back.
Sorry to bring this news, as you and the family showed up late for boarding, even if 5 mins, and depending on what kind of ticket you may have purchased, AC may very well say you forfeit a refund as you failed to meet what you agreed to with regard to AC terms and conditions. But be persistent as sometimes refund easiest way to get customers to go away.

and the scale of what happened may very well be recorded on airport CCTV , so please understand what AC evidence may exist to challenge your $ spouse assertions.

safe future travels

Last edited by skybluesea; Aug 15, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Perhaps we all need to stand back and re-evaluate

Since the OP, in spite of now having made four posts, seems reluctant to be more forthcoming with specifics of the travel concerned, just maybe we should all take the use of the word BAN or the implied BANNED with a proverbial pinch of salt!

The OP and her adult travelling companion seem to have done everything possible to make a bad situation progressively worse.

At no time does it seem that AC actually told them that he/she/they were banned.

Rather, through the husband's aggressive/abusive behaviour their reservation was cancelled.

Whether AC regards an attempted late check-in as a no-show and will impose financial penalties in this instance none of us really knows. Likely we never will given the OP's reticence and seeming reluctance to be more forthcoming in her posts.

To a large extent we are all flying blind in our attempts to help because we just don't have all the facts, and what we do have lacks consistency.

Blaming AC and the industry at large seems to almost be a game nowadays, but there are cases where everyone in charge seems to have done everything by the book, yet still gets blame and abuse!

POSTSCRIPT: Just noticed in the OP's profile that she states she is a US resident.
Don't know if this is correct or a default entry.
However, if correct it makes the initial posting and mention of a 10 hour drive more puzzling.
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by TemboOne; Aug 15, 2018 at 8:40 am Reason: just read OPs fourth post; and adding a postscript
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

If you were not present when your husband made the vulgar statements, you don't know what they were. You cannot trust his version of events.

He may TELL you he only used two profane words...but the reality, especially because you and the child were not present...was likely MUCH worse. He is telling you a lie of minimization.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The online form is the only official way to contact Customer Relations. You could try social media, but I don't think that's appropriate for this situation. Or, if you really feel strongly about the situation email an executive directly.

I would recommend the form.
I would strongly recommend against contacting AC until the promised letter is received. Whatever the facts are, they are in the past and trying to speed up the process by coaxing "the letter" out of AC is very unlikely to make "the letter" any better than it now is. Just sit tight. It is the hardest but best thing to do.
skybluesea and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Having just re-read all three OP posts and in NO way has OP admitted to admonishing spouse, to the contrary lauding as this is first time ever for giving public abuse and offering character witness to boot.

My emphathy for OPS just went up big time, and for the children - easy to say here you would intervene, yet, OP is getting story about what really happened from Spouse as was not physically present to altercation.

More internal family dynamics going on here than meet’s the eye - and unwillingness to criticize spouse in this public forum obvious. Yet, plenty of family abuse stories of a bullying spouse sound painfully too familiar.

Failure to intervene for many is de facto response to avoid what sadly might come later...

OP, if you need help, get it please, if even for sake of your children.

Are you (still) married? Seriously???????
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Since the OP, in spite of now having made four posts, seems reluctant to be more forthcoming with specifics of the travel concerned, just maybe we should all take the use of the word BAN or the implied BANNED with a proverbial pinch of salt!
<snip>
At no time does it seem that AC actually told them that he/she/they were banned.
Seems to me that you may be ignoring this post from the OP, which seems like a reasonable summary of the situation from the customer - i.e. an agent of AC has told them they are not welcome to fly the airline but we can't reasonably expect the OP to know what AC's stance is when they have not received anything formal from AC - so you are correct inasmuch as until said communication is received, we can only speculate.
  • I was told the airline would be sending us a letter and an email explaining what their stance was but as of yet have not received anything so we don't exactly know if the ban is for all of us or just my husband or permanent
  • The supervisor at check in who addressed me the second day said to me personally that I was not welcome to fly on the airline ever again, hence me thinking we are banned.
POSTSCRIPT: Just noticed in the OP's profile that she states she is a US resident.
However, if correct it makes the initial posting and mention of a 10 hour drive more puzzling.
What makes this puzzling? Not all AC passengers originate in Canada. It is entirely possible that the OP is based in the United states. Indeed based on their choice of handle and description of weather delays, it is very likely that this saga originated at an AC outstation in the NYC area. From NYC, a 10-hour drive could put them in many places in Ontario, Quebec or New Brunswick.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by sperkins921
The SPOUSE did not get into an argument. Per the OT's statement, the entire traveling party was banned. But only one person got into it with the gate agent. So no, they didn't get what they deserved. Perhaps the husband b/c we do not know what was or wasn't said. But if rest of traveling party was not involved then rest of traveling party doesn't need to be banned, it's as simple as that.

Guilt by association? Guess the next time your seat mate acts up you should be punished too. After all, you're guilty by sitting next to them.
Your seat mate is a complete stranger. If however you are travelling on the same booking, checking in as a group and one of your group gets into an argument and starts cursing at an official you can expect the consequences of their actions to potentially apply to everyone travelling with them.

And it would seem the spouse wasn't without some involvement.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps harping on my involvement or lack-thereof in my husbands behavior as I said from the very first post it was unacceptable and NOT OK I'm not defending it in any way. There is nothing I can do about what he did at this point other than make sure it doesn't happen again. We were already in another part of the airport when he told me of the altercation (which I didn't think much of at the time) and we were dealing with 2 very cranky children who had spent 6 hours traveling to get no-where. My first priority wasn't arranging an apology to an AC employee who was nothing but a jerk to us. Prejudice against us having children for sure. After what we had been through that day I might have lost my cool as well.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
And is the entire family in fact banned? Or did the wife just choose not to travel alone and leave the husband behind? I suspect this is the case but I doubt we will ever hear back from the OP. Too bad; I just made popcorn.
It isn't politically correct to separate families.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE

How is a 10 hour drive puzzling? There are tons of city pairings for AC routes that can be a 10 hour drive in North America, particularly for the many AC US destinations in Eastern/Central US to various destinations in Eastern/Central Canada.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:19 am

Agent J. once said, "Don't make none, won't be none". I think it applies here.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
@OP and @all, unless OP is willing to sit down with one of us an hammer out a more detailed and less emotional narrative (even from her perspective) we aren't going to get anywhere. We still don't even know if the subject is correct.
skybluesea likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.