Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Not permitted to fly - BAN from airline!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not permitted to fly - BAN from airline!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:33 am

Where should I start?

Ahhh don't bother.......

Can respect the stress on IDB and IROPS, but Raising voice and cursing at staff warrants a ban on service.

Where OP was situated relative to her husband is dependent on the different version of events
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Where is KenHamer? He would be telling the OP they should consider themselves lucky they've been banned.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Welcome to FT.
+1. ^
DrunkCargo likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch
This assumes the rest of the family weren't also engaged in the fracas. It's quite rare for everyone else to stand there silently while one member of the group starts a heated argument and curses at staff.
Your experience has been quite different from mine. While I have occasionally seen an entire group gang up on a poor service agent, it has been much more common in my experience to see one person go at it while the rest of the party are nearby in some version of shock or embarrassment. Obviously YMMV.
Originally Posted by Badenoch
One of the risks of travelling in a group is that everyone might pay the price if one person in the group starts a heated argument and curses at the staff.
Clearly; but should one be held guilty by association?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Are they truly banned? Or just had this particular trip cancelled because of their behaviour? The OP just says “We arrived the next morning very early for our flight to find out we were not permitted to fly.”. Could be just this trip and not a full-on, outright ban.

And is the entire family in fact banned? Or did the wife just choose not to travel alone and leave the husband behind? I suspect this is the case but I doubt we will ever hear back from the OP. Too bad; I just made popcorn.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I suggest you review Rule 75 - Refusal to Transport of the relevant (domestic or international)Tariffs for AC. You'll see that AC has given them quite a lot of leeway with what they can do. However, in order to apply any ban, that decision must be communicated to you.
Was this not communicated at the airport the morning after but prior to check-in for replacement flight? Or does it need to be communicated with acknowledgement of receipt prior to ban effect? (I'm guessing the former, not latter)

Edit: To OP, in which airport did this happen? Also, you state missing a few days, meaning you eventually were permitted to fly, or flew an alternate carrier?
tinchote likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few questions: was the entire party banned, or only one person but then the whole group on the same reservation was not allowed to fly?

Also, as already alluded to earlier, were they allowed to fly at a later date, or not? In other words, have they been permanently banned by AC?

Finally, I like to argue that one should never invoke prejudice just based upon the race. sexual orientation or whatever of the "victim" without some positive evidence that prejudice was at play. Expecting prejudice sometimes ultimately calls for it to happen.

In any event, in this instance, the circumstances were there for this scenario to happen to anyone.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Quick poll:

Chances of OP returning to this thread are:
  1. She will definitely be back to respond!
  2. She will keep reading and not responding
  3. She will never return to FT ever again
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Quick poll:

I vote for 2. Though 3 is likely if she has resolved this with AC.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Lesson here: Don't be jerk. The poor gate agent has not control over weather, and if your husband acts like that in public it's probably better for everyone he goes and sits in time out for awhile instead of boarding and aircraft
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by The Lev
Your experience has been quite different from mine. While I have occasionally seen an entire group gang up on a poor service agent, it has been much more common in my experience to see one person go at it while the rest of the party are nearby in some version of shock or embarrassment. Obviously YMMV.

Clearly; but should one be held guilty by association?
To be fair, one should not automatically be held guilty by association but life isn't always fair. Each case should be judged on its own merits. How involved was the spouse et al? Did they do anything to calm the husband down? Did they exacerbate the situation by their conduct? Were they on a single booking? Did they ask to be allowed to fly leaving the husband behind?
Stranger likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
If the OP ever returns, please give us the facts!

It seems that we're all trying to answer the question and / or solve the problem detailed by the OP.<br /><br />However, in reality, we neither know the airport or the flight(s) involved and whether this was the commencement of a round-trip for some special family occassion.<br /><br />For that matter, we do not know if this was a husband, wife and children group, possibly with the husband in control of everything, probably to everyone's dismay.<br /><br />Almost all the responses have in one way or another tried to be helpful, but with with no feedback from the OP all our hands are pretty much tied.<br /><br />It almost sounds like the OPs spouse almost used a check-in version of "road-rage" and everyone in the group has paid the price.<br /><br />Should the OP return, please do give us more facts and details, but please do not omit any details or facts which may seem irrelevant to you..
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Quick poll:

Why do we assume she's a she?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Very valid point, DC. I am a troglodyte.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Because she called him her husband, not partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.