Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Not permitted to fly - BAN from airline!

Not permitted to fly - BAN from airline!

Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I disagree on the bolded bit. Airlines publish both recommended and minimum check-in times. Check-in time is exactly that...
Come on. If an airline the size of AC decides it wants to staff its YYZ check-in counter with 1 agent during peak check-in times, a passenger arriving 4 hours in advance may not reach the counter.

I’m all for people taking responsibility for their actions, but placing the onus squarely on one party is nonsensical and ignores reality.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:43 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
I disagree on the bolded bit. Airlines publish both recommended and minimum check-in times. Check-in time is exactly that, the time by which someone must be checked in; not the time someone needs to join the queue for check-in. It is the recommended time that has a buffer built in. Had someone joined the queue by the recommended check-in time and still not made it to the front of the line, IMHO they'd have a case, not if they simply join the queue by the minimum time.

AC's website is pretty clear on this:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ing-times.html

There are 2 columns "when should you check in" and "check-in / baggage drop-off ends"

Clicking on the information button in the header of each column states the following:

Policy is that you must have BP in hand and deposited your checked bags prior to cut-off; not simply joining the queue. I can understand why people may have different opinions on this, but that isn't the policy that AC enforces.

Furthermore, IIRC someone posted on here a long time ago that the reason for the strict adherence for the 1 hr cut-off on transborder flights into the US is that airlines are required to submit a list to DHS of people checked-in for a flight, and that this list must be submitted 60 minutes prior to departure. I have no idea if that is true (otherwise there would be issues with people standing by for earlier flights, etc.), or if other countries have similar requirements for international flights.
DHS requires complete manifest 30 mins before departure, so airlines prefer longer cut-off so that if passenger is rejected at the last minute, avoids delays so 45-60 minutes usual. Airline cut-offs are somewhat fungible, border agencies not so much.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...actsheet_3.pdf
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by TemboOne
What I stated was that we have all probably on rare occasions encountered a check-in agent who is having a bad day, and how I deal with the situation.
The agent isn't allowed to have a bad day to the customer. We all have figurative baggage. That's to be left at home, just like any other job. People pay a lot of money to fly a family of four, in this case, somewhere. They are customer service reps, there to, oddly enough, service the customer. We've all dealt with crappy airport personnel. The thing that stings is even if you're right you never hold any leverage. The result can be an escalation like this. Rarely have I heard ANY worker in an airport/airplane say 'hey, you're right. I screwed up'. (There're AA FA's that can't grasp the basic understanding that MCE passengers get free drinks and they act all snooty when you call them on it.) Most airline employees I run into treat EVERYONE as if they are FFs who know all of the rules and regulations. It's such a drain on your energy dealing with long check in line. The long security lines. The long boarding process. The long wait for your bag at the carousel. It's a mine-numbing experience for many hardened travelers. Factor in a guy trying to get his husband/wife and kids through this gauntlet and you have situations like this happening.

I don't advocate using foul language to any airline representative. I'm not saying the OPs husband is in the clear. I will say that I spend enough time at airports to know that, for the most part, airline customers are just a clot in their race to get home. Airlines should hold their representatives to the same high standards that they expect from their customers.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Aug 14, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Construct your own facts and state how you deal with such.
Simple:
1: Arrive at the airport on time - with a very large spare time cushion of minutes; 3 hrs ahead for international is my normal;
2: Keep husband/wife/spouse/companion/partner under control from erratic irrational behaviour;
3: Keep children under control and in hand;
4: Keep my wits about me and myself under control to avoid over-reacting to the failure of any of the above.

Oh I amost forgot; find someone else to blame rather than the AC check-in clerk or gate agent for the failure of any of the above.

Be glad my child was prevented from getting seriously injured!

Nuff said!
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by TemboOne; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:55 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I disagree on the bolded bit. Airlines publish both recommended and minimum check-in times. Check-in time is exactly that, the time by which someone must be checked in; not the time someone needs to join the queue for check-in. It is the recommended time that has a buffer built in. Had someone joined the queue by the recommended check-in time and still not made it to the front of the line, IMHO they'd have a case, not if they simply join the queue by the minimum time.
"Recommended" is a meaningless, unenforceable term. Arriving at the check-in area prior to the deadline is still within the legal check-in timeframe. I'm not sure your experience in very busy and or chaotic airports, but check-in (and lineups in general) amongst certain places/cultures can be fraught with all manner of delays, no matter how well-planned your preparation. It's entirely feasible to arrive at the queue at T-120min and still be short of the front desk 90 min later. At what point does the airline take responsibility for its own processes? Going by your rationale, it seems there's a murky line between the 'recommended' and the 'minimum' times...but where is it actually drawn?

I've saved my place in line and strolled up to the check-in counter before, when it appears the deadline may be shaved too closely. Just to let them know "hey I'm here" and get a sense of whether there's an opportunity to leapfrog forward. Generally the response has been "it's ok, we'll process you" and despite reaching the desk well after the cutoff time, they have honoured their word.

It perhaps helped that I stifled any curse words.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
"Recommended" is a meaningless, unenforceable term. Arriving at the check-in area prior to the deadline is still within the legal check-in timeframe. I'm not sure your experience in very busy and or chaotic airports, but check-in (and lineups in general) amongst certain places/cultures can be fraught with all manner of delays, no matter how well-planned your preparation. It's entirely feasible to arrive at the queue at T-120min and still be short of the front desk 90 min later. At what point does the airline take responsibility for its own processes? Going by your rationale, it seems there's a murky line between the 'recommended' and the 'minimum' times...but where is it actually drawn?

I've saved my place in line and strolled up to the check-in counter before, when it appears the deadline may be shaved too closely. Just to let them know "hey I'm here" and get a sense of whether there's an opportunity to leapfrog forward. Generally the response has been "it's ok, we'll process you" and despite reaching the desk well after the cutoff time, they have honoured their word.

It perhaps helped that I stifled any curse words.
I agree that queue management should be an airline responsibility, and that "recommended" is not something enforceable. I also agree that airlines should properly staff their check-in counters. However, I also don't think that someone who joins a queue right at cut-off should have an expectation of getting on the flight. Put on the next flight, possibly, which is what looks like happened in this situation, but then weather issues occurred and things went really sideways when the confrontation occurred.

I don't necessarily agree with the policy as written, but it is published and is what AC's agents will default to. I was posting the links so that others in the same situation can be aware of what they're up against in a similar situation, regardless of what any of us might think is right/wrong.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Well, I agree cut-offs do matter as OTP very high on my criteria.

But for OP, and many of us too, who possibly have routinely experienced the nonsense practice of airlines calling queued travelers to front of line for processing.

So some will say so what is wrong with getting folks going when airline queue mgmt fails:

1. Trains the traveler moved forward why should I come early
2. Trains everyone else in the queue watching all this why should I come early if airline willing to make exceptions

Consequence, everyone comes later thereby vastly increasing peak processing requirements, and I’ll spare doing the math here on how even small change in input rate can exacerbate queue delays.

and let’s remember, OP pointed out that why were some passengers advanced and NOT their family.

AC own worse enemy when ops mgmt gets behind queueing theory and best practice.

Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Some circles would deemed your logic to be discriminatory and prejudicial by associating persons with family connection as guilty. How is that different from racial, religion or gender etc discrimination. Your father beats up your mother and you are guilty, nice morality.
I would absolutely deem myself guilty (legally and morally) if I knew about someone in my travelling party (for instance) behaving inappropriately and I did not intervene or insist that the person make amends for whatever he or she has done/said if it was no longer ongoing.

Anyone is quite welcome to consider that logic discriminatory and prejudicial. I won't change my mind about it no matter how aggressively or unpleasantly they word their response.

Perhaps I should call it guilty by 'failure to do the right thing' rather than 'association' though.

====

Besides that, are the OP and the OP's children actually banned, or is it just the OP's husband that is banned (if anyone is in fact banned at all), but the OP and the OP's family could not fly the next day in any case by virtue of AC's favour being withdrawn?

In other words, they no-showed for the original flight by virtue of being late to check in, but AC did them a favour by allowing them to standby for a later flight, but they withdrew that favour when the OP's husband got abusive and cancelled the tickets for the whole family (which would have been the result in the first place for no-showing unless it was an expensive flex ticket that allowed no-shows, but for the favour by AC), or is anyone actually banned from flying AC?
Sealink and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 14, 2018 at 11:24 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
TLR

Swearing at a gate agent is just a stupid thing to do. Even if you feel they took a dislike to you.

You catch more flies with honey.
skybluesea and TemboOne like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I would absolutely deem myself guilty (legally and morally) if I knew about someone in my travelling party (for instance) behaving inappropriately and I did not intervene or insist that the person make amends for whatever he or she has done/said if it was no longer ongoing.

Anyone is quite welcome to consider that logic discriminatory and prejudicial. I won't change my mind about it no matter how aggressively or unpleasantly they word their response.

Perhaps I should call it guilty by 'failure to do the right thing' rather than 'association' though.
Having just re-read all three OP posts and in NO way has OP admitted to admonishing spouse, to the contrary lauding as this is first time ever for giving public abuse and offering character witness to boot.

My emphathy for OPS just went up big time, and for the children - easy to say here you would intervene, yet, OP is getting story about what really happened from Spouse as was not physically present to altercation.

More internal family dynamics going on here than meet’s the eye - and unwillingness to criticize spouse in this public forum obvious. Yet, plenty of family abuse stories of a bullying spouse sound painfully too familiar.

Failure to intervene for many is de facto response to avoid what sadly might come later...

OP, if you need help, get it please, if even for sake of your children.

Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skybluesea

Having just re-read all three OP posts and in NO way has OP admitted to admonishing spouse, to the contrary lauding as this is first time ever for giving public abuse and offering character witness to boot.

My emphathy for OPS just went up big time, and for the children - easy to say here you would intervene, yet, OP is getting story about what really happened from Spouse as was not physically present to altercation.

More internal family dynamics going on here than meet’s the eye - and unwillingness to criticize spouse in this public forum obvious. Yet, plenty of family abuse stories of a bullying spouse sound painfully too familiar.

Failure to intervene for many is de facto response to avoid what sadly might come later...

OP, if you need help, get it please, if even for sake of your children.

Ah yes, clearly OP is being beaten at home. How could we all have missed such an obvious conclusion?

Can we get back to the F in FT?
ffsim, wrp96, 1Newflyer and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Ah yes, clearly OP is being beaten at home. How could we all have missed such an obvious conclusion?

Can we get back to the F in FT?
I don’t recall you being anointed Moderator- if you wish to say I’m off topic then FT rules your response is direct to the official Moderator- but since you posted instead, AC is being criticized by OP for something not directly witnessed, but chooses words carefully to only criticize AC.

Thus, Lots of other varied perspectives evident on this Thread about what OP should or shouldn’t have done like @LTN Phobia , but instead you choose solely to target mine?

I must say thanks for reinforcing my point about possible bullying.

have a great day 😄

Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Yes, it was absolutely prejudiced. Most employers are extraordinarily prejudiced toward those who get into heated arguments and curse at their staff. I'd have punted you too.

Maybe if you'd acted like adults when there were "major weather issues" you wouldn't have caused yourself to lose 3 days and an important family event.

Your legal position? I don't know because I'm not a lawyer. Your moral position? Indefensible. You got what you deserved.
The SPOUSE did not get into an argument. Per the OT's statement, the entire traveling party was banned. But only one person got into it with the gate agent. So no, they didn't get what they deserved. Perhaps the husband b/c we do not know what was or wasn't said. But if rest of traveling party was not involved then rest of traveling party doesn't need to be banned, it's as simple as that.

Guilt by association? Guess the next time your seat mate acts up you should be punished too. After all, you're guilty by sitting next to them.
1Newflyer and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by sperkins921
Guilt by association? Guess the next time your seat mate acts up you should be punished too. After all, you're guilty by sitting next to them.
How often is your seat mate booked on the same reservation as you are if they're not part of your family or your SO?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:28 am

Weather issues are beyond the airline's control and cause a lot of stress. Planes are so packed full that it can take a few days to get all of the inconvenienced passengers taken care of. None of this is the Gate Agent's or Ticket Agent's fault. In 35 plus years of flying I have seen some agents with very poor customer service skills, but once a passenger personalizes the situation, by yelling or cursing, the battle is over. Let this be a lesson to 1. be mindful of the airline employee's level of stress from a delay situation and 2. If the airline employee begins pushing your buttons, never react with anger or swearing. If you are being mistreated and it is intentional, ask for a supervisor. If it is something beyond the employees control (weather, even equipment or crew issues) be understanding. If you are the calm, inconvenienced passenger you stand a chance of being taken care of, if you lose your self control, it is a lost cause.
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by MitchR; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:37 am Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.