FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC007 switching from 777HD to 789 on Oct 28 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1924418-ac007-switching-777hd-789-oct-28-a.html)

whyfseeguy Aug 9, 2018 7:52 pm

AC007 switching from 777HD to 789 on Oct 28

Thats a major reduction in capacity. Just wondering whats going on?

rankourabu Aug 9, 2018 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by whyfseeguy (Post 30066571)
Thats a major reduction in capacity. Just wondering whats going on?

They are getting their as s handed to them by CX and HK?

Given the constant <$500 prices out of US via YVR to HKG, maybe even that's not enough any more to fill the HD.

YEG USER Aug 9, 2018 9:25 pm

IIRC there were a few other threads that stated Oct 28 is the first day of the winter schedule, so there are many changes across the network that day.

I don't know the reason for the change. What was the metal in this route last year? Was the 777 an upgauge for the summer? Could be that there is another route somewhere else that could make better use of the 777 (ie change from 2x to 1x daily, etc)?

phdtraveller Aug 9, 2018 9:33 pm

The bigger question is, where else could the 777 be used for higher yields? AC is getting owned for all flights to HKG, while CX seems to be milking these routes quite well both in J and Y.

King Chung Huang Aug 9, 2018 10:12 pm

It was the 777HD last winter. And, weren't the few HD versions of the 777 configured specifically for this route, with fewer J and more Y seats? I also wonder what routes these planes will be deployed on, instead of YVR-HKG.

tracon Aug 9, 2018 10:26 pm

YVR-HKG was one of the original slave ship routes.
Other than a few equipment subs, it's been an HD route since the type was introduced.
Winter & Summer.

I suspect some HD's are going for heavy maintenance/painting.

DrunkCargo Aug 10, 2018 12:28 am

Originally Posted by phdtraveller (Post 30066757)
The bigger question is, where else could the 777 be used for higher yields? AC is getting owned for all flights to HKG, while CX seems to be milking these routes quite well both in J and Y.

CX seems to be losing money overall, however...

Which is strange; all the people I know who don't blink dropping $20k per person one-way default to CX and would never dream of flying AC. Of course, this only amounts to like 5 people... hardly enough to float an airline.

Besides paint jobs, aren't the 777's also being fit with WiFi?

Diabeetus Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

1. This was an original 777HD route and has been the bird year round.
  2. The 777HD on this route has had wifi for some time now, so I don't think it is that.
  3. The 789 is a 150 seat drop in Y capacity vs the 777HD.
  4. CX and HK have definitely added a lot more seats to the yvr-hkg route. Perhaps AC is indeed losing in this market.
  5. AC could possibly be adding another flight to HKG either a 2nd daily ex-YVR or through another city (a long shot would be YUL or YYC).

YYT82 Aug 10, 2018 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 30067384)
  1. This was an original 777HD route and has been the bird year round.
  2. The 777HD on this route has had wifi for some time now, so I don't think it is that.
  3. The 789 is a 150 seat drop in Y capacity vs the 777HD.
  4. CX and HK have definitely added a lot more seats to the yvr-hkg route. Perhaps AC is indeed losing in this market.
  5. AC could possibly be adding another flight to HKG either a 2nd daily ex-YVR or through another city (a long shot would be YUL or YYC).

I haven't flown CX on the YVR-HKG route, but a quick search on Seatguru reveals 9-across in Y on their 77W compared to AC's slaveship. Crowd flying between HKG and YVR/YYZ who are from Hong Kong usually don't think about flying NA-based airlines, and add to the fact that CX Y is more comfortable (seat width and food) than AC Y in HD, I can't say I'm surprised. I am just surprised it took this long.

This likely won't be the first capacity reduction on the TPAC route, YYZ-HKG could be next if AC can't keep up with CX. AC YVR-TPE flights have a horrible OTP record and the Taiwan based crowd still prefer BR/CI over AC.

The moment of truth will be when AC publishes its summer 2019 schedule, then we'll know for sure if the change is permanent.

YYC009 Aug 10, 2018 5:23 am

As others have mentioned, I am VERY curious where the B777HD will be flown to in lieu of HKG.

skybluesea Aug 10, 2018 5:28 am

Having worked recently again in West Africa, and toured the docks where persons with humanity were forcibly removed from their homes and lives, the repeated comments on this Thread and elsewhere in sum, make mockery of real human tragedy.

As such, The AC HD 77W appears to have served its purpose on the HKG route, and NOBODY is forcibly required to board when making a choice to purchase an AC ticket on this route, or any other route where this aircraft may get redeployed.

i will NOT use the derogatory term folks here throw-out loosely - instead SHAME ON YOU for your casual disregard for human misery which continues to this day.

Educate yourself on what is still happening and what Air Canada doing to combat this cruel trade.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...ement-2016.pdf

Plumber Aug 10, 2018 7:19 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea (Post 30067550)
Having worked recently again in West Africa, and toured the docks where persons with humanity were forcibly removed from their homes and lives, the repeated comments on this Thread and elsewhere in sum, make mockery of real human tragedy.

As such, The AC HD 77W appears to have served its purpose on the HKG route, and NOBODY is forcibly required to board when making a choice to purchase an AC ticket on this route, or any other route where this aircraft may get redeployed.

i will NOT use the derogatory term folks here throw-out loosely - instead SHAME ON YOU for your casual disregard for human misery which continues to this day.

Edicate yourself on what is still happening and what Air Canada doing to combat this cruel trade.

While I understand your sentiment, i would guess that many people on this board are well educated on what is happening in the world...and would empathize with those people you are referring to.

I see the term as a reference to the old ships where everybody had to row to their destination and there was a lot of misery and moaning going on.....I dont see it as a slight to the plight of the unfortunate people forced into certain situations in today's world. But then again, I am not the most politically correct person here.

Happy flying!

tracon Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am

Originally Posted by YYT82 (Post 30067424)

I haven't flown CX on the YVR-HKG route, but a quick search on Seatguru reveals 9-across in Y on their 77W compared to AC's slaveship. Crowd flying between HKG and YVR/YYZ who are from Hong Kong usually don't think about flying NA-based airlines, and add to the fact that CX Y is more comfortable (seat width and food) than AC Y in HD, I can't say I'm surprised. I am just surprised it took this long.

This likely won't be the first capacity reduction on the TPAC route, YYZ-HKG could be next if AC can't keep up with CX. AC YVR-TPE flights have a horrible OTP record and the Taiwan based crowd still prefer BR/CI over AC.

The moment of truth will be when AC publishes its summer 2019 schedule, then we'll know for sure if the change is permanent.

CX has 10X seating on some 777's. They haven\t been scheduled for North America......yet.

Previous winters, AC has reduced capacity YVR-HKG by reducing the schedule to 5-6X/week during the slowest periods.
Maybe this year daily will be maintained for the entire schedule.

Originally Posted by skybluesea (Post 30067550)
As such, The AC HD 77W appears to have served its purpose on the HKG route, and NOBODY is forcibly required to board when making a choice to purchase an AC ticket on this route, or any other route where this aircraft may get redeployed..

Edicate yourself on what is still happening and what Air Canada doing to combat this cruel trade.

Despite the CEO's statement, the term you refer to originated within AC.

mapleg Aug 10, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Plumber (Post 30067780)
While I understand your sentiment, i would guess that many people on this board are well educated on what is happening in the world...and would empathize with those people you are referring to.

I see the term as a reference to the old ships where everybody had to row to their destination and there was a lot of misery and moaning going on.....I dont see it as a slight to the plight of the unfortunate people forced into certain situations in today's world. But then again, I am not the most politically correct person here.

Happy flying!

Agreed. Perhaps not the best choice of words, but other usage in English occurs quite frequently--"slaving over the hot stove all day", "The boss is a real slave-driver", and in photography flash set ups with masters and slaves.

phdtraveller Aug 10, 2018 9:11 am

I am wondering if CX isn't running their 777HD version to YYZ/YVR, and the capacity reduction by AC, whether the yields aren't very good on this route. I would have thought with the large canto population in YVR/YYZ, that this route would be very profitable. I guess there might be a lack of business travel to fill in the J class as well.

Once again, the biggest question is, where can AC use the 777HD for higher yields than YVR<->HKG.