Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ac/elite
I somehow misread the earlier post. I actually was at the YVR one, also organized by Parnel.
Me too! My memory is foggy though... I remember the hangar tour including the guts of several other airlines' planes when they were in that business... also remember the 333 sim... what else... that was my 2nd year as SE, IIRC...
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:25 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NordsFan
IIRC, final count was was 3: CB (now retired from AC), the very efficient NZ and PF (who I ran into at YUL on 03AUG while boarding AC301). Great ladies all !
I vaguely remember now, thanks for those 3 contributions!!

About those great ladies, i liked what you answered SL:

Originally Posted by Super Larry
NordsFan (CONFIRMED) 5 (He is so popular with women!!)
Merci SL, you're much too kind !
Actually, I think they're only interested in my SE status !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, Super Larry's list (26 pers) above was for the DO diner (Which followed the AC HQ visit).

For the AC HQ visit itself, Super Larry published the following list (Dated Jan 13, 05, 4:30 pm) :

Originally Posted by Super Larry
Here's the final list for the AC visit:

Parnel (CONFIRMED) 1
ACYSB87 (CONFIRMED ) 1
Super Larry (CONFIRMED) 1
Snoopyo (CONFIRMED) 1
NordsFan (CONFIRMED) 1
YUL (CONFIRMED) 1
Yulgirl (CONFIRMED) 1
ccorme (CONFIRMED) 1
blue2002 (CONFIRMED) 1
YOWser (CONFIRMED) 1
aad665 (CONFIRMED) 1
Back Seat (CONFIRMED) 1
Steve2286 (CONFIRMED) 1
NewtoCanada (CONFIRMED) 1
Cedric (CONFIRMED) 1
Doc Fraud (CONFIRMED) 1

Total 17

Last edited by YUL; Aug 17, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might be wrong, but wasn't the "SOC Visit, Cockpit Sim and Cabin Evac Sim" a seperate event that took place at YYZ, also with a hangar tour and a lunch with executive discussion session, some time after the YUL meeting in January 2005 ?

I was with Empress and PunishedYEGman in the A320 sim. The evac sim with the ride on the slide was quite impressive !
I remember Punished Edmontonian (name has changed here recently) being at YUL and Ken Hamer,shore9 (help here with Greywolf??) IIRC.at YVR
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Fluent, but not native.
@canadiancow

Quelle est votre source s'il vous plaît

While the Globe & Mail routinely gets the NEWS wrong, here is what they reported today:

“When asked about his French, he said he was a French immersion student when he was younger, but professed to be “a little out of practice. I’m not bilingual, but I’m okay. Hopefully, I’ll be able to quickly improve.”” (verbatim)

Pretty much guarantee Mr Smith will NOT be allowed to speak publicly until becoming Fluent- and he can expect soon to have his nominal French capacity to be broadcast in the media as opponents will leak such footage.

And the biggest issue facing AF, like AC, has little to do with one particular supplier, namely labour – although certainly for AF a large hurdle amongst others.

Rather, the essential question is how will the airline supply chain need to change in the face of the inevitable rebalancing of the long held firm information asymmetry that near real-time and cheap IT-based knowledge systems now available to customers will affect demand patterns and expectations.

Mr. Smith good luck – and keep some extra shirts in your office – meetings with your future AF staff could get heated, and not the sweating kind, but actually torn off your back kind.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
@Stranger

And we're off to the races.

Ben is mentioned a few times in this article.

"More Strikes Loom at Air France-KLM, Shares Plummet" by Katherine Fan 31 minutes ago

https://thepointsguy.com/news/more-s...hares-plummet/
To be fair to Monsieur Smith, the starting gun hasn't even gone off yet. Most pointsguy articles are merely click-bait; no serious investors concern themselves with a 4% fluctuation based upon a mere announcement. Let's see if the "plummet" is sustained in the months after the new CEO takes the helm, or if the drop corrects itself within a trading day.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skybluesea

@canadiancow

Listening to him speak French.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Listening to him speak French.
merci beaucoup et bonne nuit
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea

@canadiancow

While the Globe & Mail routinely gets the NEWS wrong, here is what they reported today:

“When asked about his French, he said he was a French immersion student when he was younger, but professed to be “a little out of practice. I’m not bilingual, but I’m okay. Hopefully, I’ll be able to quickly improve.”” (verbatim)

Pretty much guarantee Mr Smith will NOT be allowed to speak publicly until becoming Fluent- and he can expect soon to have his nominal French capacity to be broadcast in the media as opponents will leak such footage.

And the biggest issue facing AF, like AC, has little to do with one particular supplier, namely labour – although certainly for AF a large hurdle amongst others.

Rather, the essential question is how will the airline supply chain need to change in the face of the inevitable rebalancing of the long held firm information asymmetry that near real-time and cheap IT-based knowledge systems now available to customers will affect demand patterns and expectations.

Mr. Smith good luck – and keep some extra shirts in your office – meetings with your future AF staff could get heated, and not the sweating kind, but actually torn off your back kind.
I highly doubt French fluency is a requirement to be CEO of the Delta-Air France-KLM group given the trilingual nature of the organization (i.e. English, Dutch and French). Remember, the CEO of Renault is Brazilian! From what I understand reading the popular media many credit Mr. Smith for spearheading the turnaround at AC in the mid 2000s and most recently how he handled the labour disputes at AC. I wish him the best luck at that group, that's a group that's on the way out given the labour strife at Air France. However, France is notorious for having an unnecessarily strong labour Union with its train service, SNCF only having 2 years in the last 57 strike free!

What's unclear to me is how AC will handle itself operationally given the major changes coming to the organization, namely the migration to Amadeus in the near term and the (re)introduction of Altitude in 2020 to say nothing of the programmes underway to improve the international O&D experience including the launch of the SSL at Toronto.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I highly doubt French fluency is a requirement to be CEO of the Delta-Air France-KLM group given the trilingual nature of the organization (i.e. English, Dutch and French). Remember, the CEO of Renault is Brazilian! From what I understand reading the popular media many credit Mr. Smith for spearheading the turnaround at AC in the mid 2000s and most recently how he handled the labour disputes at AC. I wish him the best luck at that group, that's a group that's on the way out given the labour strife at Air France. However, France is notorious for having an unnecessarily strong labour Union with its train service, SNCF only having 2 years in the last 57 strike free!

James
a few inaccuracies here. First, this is AF-KLM, Delta not included. Delta and Air China are *shareholders.*

Second, no the Renault president is not Brazilian (although it is conceivable that it does carry a Brazilian passport among others). He is originally a Christian Lebanese, but French-educated and in many ways a part of the traditional French elite. So much so that in France, they most likely indulge in the wishful thinking whereby they see him as French. He did live in Brazil, yes, and he was well integrated there too. But that was merely one phase of his life.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Remember, the CEO of Renault is Brazilian!
@ j2simpso

with respect, do your homework - pretty easy these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Ghosn

Are you comparing someone fully schooled in Paris who worked half his career in France/Germany that will have caused a strong understanding of the EU business culture with Mr. Smith, who if the Globe & Mail report yesterday is accurate, has OK but much need to improve his French - is that what you are saying?

And when Mr. Smith attempts to engage unions with their highly skilled and media savvy political supporters who's target of action has little to do with AF, but gaining political power broadly, might be best to use his formidable talents to recruit the right people around him to do the work - that is true leadership, yet when a crisis hits, and airlines always face crises in time, the face of the CEO will be needed in the media, and if his French is insufficient this will create a major scandal at home that government allowed this...

Granted Mr. Smith is capable and will learn French as needed, and I wish him well, but the social / business structure in Europe is remarkably different than what AC faces in NA. And since only 10% of my professional work in the last 15 years has been in NA, have grown well accustom to NEVER making the fatal error to judge the business culture elsewhere - rather learn how each is different and find the right solutions accordingly, and this will be the key capability that the Board certainly was looking for.

AC cookie cutter is irrelevant and Mr. Smith certainly knows this...

ps...forgot to add how your NA bias is showing...on what basis can you possibly say notoriously and unnecessarily strong labour Union - what nonsense, the culture is the culture, as many in EU think NA business culture is barbarious with rampant job turnover

Last edited by skybluesea; Aug 18, 2018 at 6:51 pm Reason: ps notorious
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I'm wondering if anyone else feels that Air France's union complaining that Mr. Smith is not French enough smells like blatant nationalism, or language-ism. It certainly seems pompous and they appear to me to be full of it.

It's ridiculous to me. Judge someone by their performance and/or track record, but to complain because someone can't speak their mother tongue? That to me is -ism of some sort, and at the very least certainly is not demonstrative of professional-ism. Or - maybe they are scared of Mr. Smith's performance/track record so have now begun acting like children in a school field by resorting to bullying of sorts.

I guess I should hardly be surprised given how the Union has spoken with respect to other public comments.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:52 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
4.5 mill euro
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I'm wondering if anyone else feels that Air France's union complaining that Mr. Smith is not French enough smells like blatant nationalism, or language-ism. It certainly seems pompous and they appear to me to be full of it.
It appear they supported the Antinori guy. Who is apparently not related to the Tuscan wine family but is French. Could be that this was simply the best argument they could find against Ben Smith.

Not that they would be beyond being totally focused upon the French belly button either.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Let's please focus on the thread topic and not extraneous hypothetical possibilities.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by matthieugd
In the French newspaper, Le Monde, an article about Benjamin Smith considered for the role of CEO of Air France - KLM
https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/arti...0404_3234.html (subscribers) I don't have access to the full version but apparently he has been selected by the nominating committee.
@matthieugd

Op, might you consider changing thread title now that this is done deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.