Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I never saw eye-to-eye with Mr Smith, but I wish him well - providing he doesn't turn KL into AC 2.0.
Having interacted with Ben S exactly once, I’ll leave personal opinions aside; there are already enough of those in this thread justifying or criticizing his appointment. I’ll also assume that we’re not witnessing the early stages of a future case study for The Peter Principle.

And, @Symmetre, I’m not particularly picking on you — the bolded bit in your comment summarizes a lot of the concerns I’ve read, both here and elsewhere, that Ben’s accomplishments at AC could only be construed as negative from labour, passenger and product perspectives.

So, I ask this: take a look at AC’s stock performance over the past 2, 5 and even 10 years, and consider the labour peace that AC currently enjoys. Does anyone here really believe that the folks who hired Ben don’t want an AC 2.0? I dunno... if that’s what he manages to pull off at the end of his tenure, I’d have a hard time arguing against the evidence that he was the right person for the job.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
Does anyone here really believe that the folks who hired Ben don’t want an AC 2.0?
Not me. Seems KL/AF hired Ben to transform and grow their company not remake it in another firms image. Just MHO and YMMV.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052
Not me. Seems KL/AF hired Ben to transform and grow their company not remake it in another firms image. Just MHO and YMMV.
To be clear, I didn’t interpret and nor intend to use “AC 2.0” to mean “a copy-and-paste of AC.” To me, “AC 2.0” implies a successful turnaround of an airline on the verge of failure / collapse / bankruptcy with incessant infighting, miserable employees and unhappy customers.

I don’t think AF / KL want to be remade into AC, and I don’t expect that’s why they hired Ben.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by tracon
Can someone with talent pull up the length of time the last several CEO's have survived at AF.
The average is close to two years.
From WIki:
24left likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:56 am
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
Met Ben at Montreal in 2003,IIRC at a do. He took the time to listen to my requests and comments from a segment/regional customer.
I had been able to reach out to Ben over the last 15 years when I had comments and observations. He always responded.
Congratulations Ben, in your new role. ^
Had the same experience too!

Is it the same DO at AC HQ, where we also visited (linked by a tunnel) the ACTS (RIP) main hangar?
We saw a bunch of VPs, and R. Milton (then at the helm of ACE) was there too. Parnel was the organizer if I recall.

Indeed, congratulations Ben in your new role!

PS: Just recovered old PMs; my visit occured in Jan 2005, and it was indeed organised by Parnel. I took a picture of the group that attended (including our AC hosts). Got to find it back...
Plumber likes this.

Last edited by YUL; Aug 17, 2018 at 9:23 am Reason: added PS
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by YUL
Is it the same DO at AC HQ, where we also visited (linked by a tunnel) the ACTS (RIP) main hangar?
We saw a bunch of VPs, and R. Milton (then at the helm of ACE) was there too. Parnel was the organizer if I recall.
14JAN 2005 at AC HQ in YUL.

I was there too. In addition to Ben Smith and RM, some of the AC VPs or directors present were: Montie Brewer, M. Forget, Lucie G.

Aeroplan was represented by Craig L and a female colleague.

FTers who I recall being there: parnel, acysb87, Doc Fraud, cedric, Super Larry.

We also had an enjoyable social outing with some YUL concierges.

Best wishes to Ben in his new functions.
YUL likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NordsFan

I was there too. In addition to Ben Smith and RM, some of the AC VPs or directors present were: Montie Brewer, M. Forget, Lucie G.

FTers who I recall being there: parnel, acysb87, Doc Fraud, cedric, Super Larry.

I was there too. Apart from the hangar tour, a highlight was flying the simulator.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:05 am
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
I found a list prepared then by Super Larry:

Final List For Do Dinner In Yul:

Parnel (CONFIRMED) 1
ACYSB87 (CONFIRMED ) 3
Super Larry (CONFIRMED) 2
Snoopyo (CONFIRMED) 1
NordsFan (CONFIRMED) 5 (He is so popular with women!!)
YUL (CONFIRMED) 1
Yulgirl (CONFIRMED) 2
ccorme (CONFIRMED) 1
blue2002 (CONFIRMED) 1
YOWser (CONFIRMED) 1
aad665 (CONFIRMED) 1
Back Seat (CONFIRMED) 1
Steve2286 (CONFIRMED) 1
NewtoCanada (CONFIRMED) 2
Cedric (CONFIRMED) 3

TOTAL 26

YUL Do

So NordsFan , I forgot the number of ladies you brought in...,

tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
.....Wishing him well too. May be a rough ride. But then, he may be the right guy for the job. Starting with being low key.

We'll need to watch him as he deals with unions.
@Stranger

And we're off to the races.

Ben is mentioned a few times in this article.

"More Strikes Loom at Air France-KLM, Shares Plummet" by Katherine Fan 31 minutes ago

https://thepointsguy.com/news/more-s...hares-plummet/
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by ac/elite
I was there too. Apart from the hangar tour, a highlight was flying the simulator.
I might be wrong, but wasn't the "SOC Visit, Cockpit Sim and Cabin Evac Sim" a seperate event that took place at YYZ, also with a hangar tour and a lunch with executive discussion session, some time after the YUL meeting in January 2005 ?

I was with Empress and PunishedYEGman in the A320 sim. The evac sim with the ride on the slide was quite impressive !

Last edited by NordsFan; Aug 17, 2018 at 12:37 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
@Stranger

And we're off to the races.

Ben is mentioned a few times in this article.

"More Strikes Loom at Air France-KLM, Shares Plummet" by Katherine Fan 31 minutes ago

https://thepointsguy.com/news/more-s...hares-plummet/
Actually, my impression is that at AC, he may well actually have given enough in negotiations with pilots to keep them reasonably happy. And that this ultimately turned out to be positive in the larger scheme of things. Social peace has a price.

So I would not be surprised if in the end, these French unions find themselves happier than they expect.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I might be wrong, but wasn't the "SOC Visit, Cockpit Sim and Cabin Evac Sim" a seperate event that took place at YYZ, also with a hangar tour and a lunch with executive discussion session, some time after the YUL meeting in January 2005 ?
There was also something similar at YVR c.2004, IIRC.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by YUL
I found a list prepared then by Super Larry:

Final List For Do Dinner In Yul:

Parnel (CONFIRMED) 1
ACYSB87 (CONFIRMED ) 3
Super Larry (CONFIRMED) 2
Snoopyo (CONFIRMED) 1
NordsFan (CONFIRMED) 5 (He is so popular with women!!)
YUL (CONFIRMED) 1
Yulgirl (CONFIRMED) 2
ccorme (CONFIRMED) 1
blue2002 (CONFIRMED) 1
YOWser (CONFIRMED) 1
aad665 (CONFIRMED) 1
Back Seat (CONFIRMED) 1
Steve2286 (CONFIRMED) 1
NewtoCanada (CONFIRMED) 2
Cedric (CONFIRMED) 3

TOTAL 26

YUL Do

So NordsFan , I forgot the number of ladies you brought in...,

IIRC, final count was 3: CB (now retired from AC), the very efficient NZ and PF (who I ran into at YUL on 03AUG while boarding AC301). Great ladies all !

Last edited by NordsFan; Aug 17, 2018 at 1:35 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite

Originally Posted by yyznomad
There was also something similar at YVR c.2004, IIRC.
I somehow misread the earlier post. I actually was at the YVR one, also organized by Parnel.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite
Just checked old notes: the YYZ SOC and SIM Do was on Friday 04MAR 2005.

We had a group dinner at the Bifthèque on Dixon Road that evening. Several of us stayed at the Marriott.

Some attendees I remember: Empress, PunishedYEGman, YYCguy2, Q Shoe Guy, acysb87, parnel, Mozzarella, BlondeBomber, Shareholder, why fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.