Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Job done.
By somebody else; the new guy has yet to sit at his new desk.

Let's not overlook l'elephant dans la chambre: "the Air France-KLM group, which is still facing the prospect of walkouts by Air France employees over an ongoing pay dispute likely to be reignited by the arrival this month of new CEO Benjamin Smith."
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:34 pm

Mr. Smith starts work Monday.
http://atwonline.com/airlines/new-ce...ce-klm-sept-17
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tracon
Interesting ATWonline post. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
By somebody else; the new guy has yet to sit at his new desk.

Let's not overlook l'elephant dans la chambre: "the Air France-KLM group, which is still facing the prospect of walkouts by Air France employees over an ongoing pay dispute likely to be reignited by the arrival this month of new CEO Benjamin Smith."
I'm not sure you understand what truly happens at a corporation when a change of guard happens.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:32 pm

I'm not sure you understand what truly happens at a corporation when a change of guard happens.
I can easily answer this: I don't at all understand what happens. Good deduction. I do understand you'd like your fellow Georgian Old Boy to be cast in the best possible light, but also realize AF/KLM's past successes and shortcomings can't be pinned on a guy who hasn't yet held the reins.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I can easily answer this: I don't at all understand what happens. Good deduction. I do understand you'd like your fellow Georgian Old Boy to be cast in the best possible light, but also realize AF/KLM's past successes and shortcomings can't be pinned on a guy who hasn't yet held the reins.
I don't understand what you are saying here.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

QUOTE:

"Since taking the helm at Air France-KLM, the group’s new Canadian boss said on Monday that he plans on investing half of his salary back into the company. Benjamin Smith, who came to Air France-KLM from his COO role at Air Canada, said he’d invest part of his salary as a gauge of “confidence” in returning the group to success."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-fr...-into-company/
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left

QUOTE:

"Since taking the helm at Air France-KLM, the group’s new Canadian boss said on Monday that he plans on investing half of his salary back into the company. Benjamin Smith, who came to Air France-KLM from his COO role at Air Canada, said he’d invest part of his salary as a gauge of “confidence” in returning the group to success."

Holy moly. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is. I don’t know of a single Chief Executive who has done just that. Usually restricted stock is awarded at no cost to the employee at time of hire, even if that employee is the CEO.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 24left

The cynic in me concludes his salary is twice what it needed to be
Stranger and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
As symbolic as it may be, I still like guys who have skin in the game.
Fiordland and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim

The cynic in me concludes his salary is twice what it needed to be
If someone is willing to pay the price you demand, the salary is probably just about right.
ffsim likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:41 pm

Holy moly. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is. I don’t know of a single Chief Executive who has done just that. Usually restricted stock is awarded at no cost to the employee at time of hire, even if that employee is the CEO.
This isn't a very risky decision. I'm sure Smith has received a bunch of restricted stock as you have described; he has simply chosen to invest a portion of his personal compensation into a stock over which he has direct influence. He has put his money where his mouth is, and where his hands can affect the growth of said money.

I imagine there are some 'quick wins' he has in mind in the same vein as those achieved at Air Canada. As a consequence, the stock price can easily rise in double-digit percentages within a couple of years. It's a smart move, a safe bet and as mentioned, not exceedingly bold or unusual.

From the article: "Smith, who has been credited with helping Air Canada expand its international reach to more than 200 destinations..."

It will be very interesting to see how he manages the routes that are in direct competition with Air Canada. I can't imagine Smith signed a non-compete clause or any such restriction, and there are a few Canadian markets that can prove to be lucrative for AF/KLM. How will he approach the CDG-YUL route? Remember, AC's 77W slave ships were so configured as a direct answer to AF on that route (and to better compete on the YVR-HKG route among others). I imagine France/Netherlands to YYZ is an important market that AC also serves, and with AC winding up its first season between YVR & CDG, and Smith having intimate knowledge of the successes/challenges Air Canada faces, how will AF improve its service on that route? KLM is already a very established year-round daily player on its YYZ/YVR routes of course. Will Smith steer his airline into US markets that AC has spent significant effort in establishing an option to Europe for underserved American cities?

Canada comprises a small sliver of AF/KLM's global pie, but Smith likely understands how best to make money by flying to & fro, or at least how to avoid losing money doing the same thing.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Sep 17, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Plenty of CEOs take $1 salary.. just saying.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:06 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Yes there are. But the majority of these CEOs have very good stock option deals.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Given French tax rates, he won't be taking home many more Euros than that after paying half his salary to acquire shares and most of the rest in taxes... Unless he earns his bonuses.
longtimeflyin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.