Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aimia adds Air Transat, Flair Airlines to its list of new Aeroplan partners

Aimia adds Air Transat, Flair Airlines to its list of new Aeroplan partners

Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP
As much as people complain here, Air Transat offers many nonstop from Canada to Europe in the summer and tons of sun destination flights in the winter. They are popular destinations for family/retired crowds.

If Aeroplan is buying Air Transat seats using cash, the award availability on Air Transat to Europe can be excellent.
YUL likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Should we all ask how many North American 4 STAR Skytrax rated airlines they will be preferred partners with?

https://skytraxratings.com/airlines/air-canada-rating

/answer is of course zero, because AC has been paying for that title. 4* lounge access , hot and cold food variety, cabin cleanliness....
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:34 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by expert7700
cabin cleanliness....
Not sure if serious
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Thumbs down I Thought That's What They were planning to do!???

Originally Posted by davistev
What is stopping Air Canada from starting a new FF programme once their relationship with Aeroplan ends?
Isn't this what AC actually said they were planning to do initially - before all the various Aeroplan "deals" and options started clouding the picture!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by expert7700
Should we all ask how many North American 4 STAR Skytrax rated airlines they will be preferred partners with?

https://skytraxratings.com/airlines/air-canada-rating
Learned long ago that accepting survey results without understanding methodology is a fools’ game.

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/awards-methodology/

and the budget many have in the aviation industry to INFLUENCE these outcomes are tightly kept and hidden even from investor reports. Skytrax uses a collection methodology not taught in Stats 101, and absolutely ripe with self-select bias encouraged by those wanting greater attention than deserved.

Yes, some cream rises to the top, but seriously even if you accept Skytrax, AC down at #30 behind the wonderful Garuda @ # 9 (just flew them twice in biz- really not this good), and even below AirAsia @ #28 that I flew in June at $30usd for 1.25 hr stage length cannot be beat despite low service level.

AC selectively highlights NA ranking to fool the masses.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YUL
Actually on the YUL - CDG route, Air Transat offers a competitive economy product compared to those economy AC/AF high density sardinized B773s.
Transat also offers nonstops out of Vancouver to destinations AC doesn't serve nonstop like Amsterdam, Glasgow, Rome and Manchester (the latter may be serviced by AC nonstop occasionally).

They don't handle IIROPs well, but everyone I know who flies them is pretty happy with them - Their PE product is also pretty comfortable.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Not sure if serious
sorry, in rereading my post the sarcasm I had intended to convey was lost...

The Skytrax report linked to AC, when you click to expand, shows 4 out of 5 for most categories including lounge and cabin cleanliness. (must have showed inspector a 1 day old plane straight from Boeing..)
Admiral Ackbar and skybluesea like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Thanks for the link. Since I was too busy getting coffee, I didn't dig into to how these ratings are actually compiled.

I was purely summarizing what the CTA has already published about Air Transat and, as the primary regulator for all modes of transport in Canada, I would assume they would be reasonably objective. But call it garbage if you will.
I looked at the list and criteria. It is mostly about formal things. Like, Porter missed two stars because they don't do IOSA. Meaningful? I doubt so. Sure, some of the usual culprits are rated low.

Still, they gave Cubana 6/7. Most Brazilian airlines, 7. Most Russian airlines, 6/7. Turkish 6/7.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
I looked at the list and criteria. It is mostly about formal things. Like, Porter missed two stars because they don't do IOSA. Meaningful? I doubt so. Sure, some of the usual culprits are rated low.

Still, they gave Cubana 6/7. Most Brazilian airlines, 7. Most Russian airlines, 6/7. Turkish 6/7.
btw...Aeroflot outranks AC on Skytrax too
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skybluesea

btw...Aeroflot outranks AC on Skytrax too
Still, if going to Russia, I do my best to fly LH. But sure, if push comes to shove I will fly Aeroflot. Even flew Belavia. five stars .
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:36 pm

Welcome to the devaluation of points!! Flair and Air Transat suck as partners.

A roundtrip ticket from YEG - YLW for two people including two checked bags recently cost me $320.18 with Flair. Of this, $97.88 x 2 = $195.76 was the base fare, and the other $124.42 is fees.
This would be a short haul flight, so 15,000 miles x 2 = 30,000 miles.

Aeroplan has said redemption levels will remain the same, and you will still have to pay fees an taxes.
Thus under the new program you will spend 30,000 miles + $124.42 for two tickets included checked bags.

$360.18 - 124.42 = $195.76
$195.76/30,000 = 0.65% return (Assuming you $1 spend = 1 aeroplan point).
Or 1 mile = $0.0065
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The pressure is on AC to do something for one simple reason; Between now and June 2020, for flyers accruing 25,000+ miles in any given year, who in his/her right mind would want to accrue to Aeroplan? What possible benefit could there be for the lucrative & profitable customer demographic to keep flying Air Canada from now on? I know I don't have any interest in accruing anymore aeroplan miles, because Porter, Flair, & Air Transat have nothing that interests me. 98% of my AC flights in the past 5 years have been in business class TPAC , so I have no interest in flying economy on a TATL to Manchester or Gatwick or Paris on AT's aged fleet. Eating a lukewarm soggy dough and tomato sauce piece of bread has zero allure, nor do I want to sit next to some of the people who fly on Flair or Air Transat. It will be next to impossible to get a seat in the PE on AT anyway as their numbers are quite limited. Yes this is good for a large number of Aeroplan members who like the sun destination routes, but for the customers upon which AC has made a sizeable profit, this is the kiss of death.

Air Canada will have to do something fast or it will see an erosion of customers to anyone but Air Canada. It is fortunate for AC that West Jet isn't ready for TATL or TPAC competition, otherwise it would be a compounded hit. I am trying to redeem my Aeroplan points now and I have almost 500,000 to get rid of in the next 2 years. That's going to be almost 4 TPACS and it looks like I will burn for the sake of burning just because I am that angry. Aeroplan has adopted a scorched earth strategy and AC is either going to have to expedite its FF plan rollout or offer incentives to keep customers like me because there is no way I am going to get burnt like this. Or, AC will have to cut a deal and accept a transfer of the redemption liability for customers like me, because I do not intend to stick around. I can afford to pay my way into a decent lounge so I don't need the MLL. And I will gladly take the lower SkyTeam or One World airfares on my routes to SIN/HKG/BKK. The clock is ticking and the sickly Aeroplan is going to do as much damage to Air Canada before it disappears.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The pressure is on AC to do something for one simple reason; Between now and June 2020, for flyers accruing 25,000+ miles in any given year, who in his/her right mind would want to accrue to Aeroplan?
Surely spending that sort of miles amount by 2020 is not a major problem? Also, if needed AC could change priority rewards based upon status. Non-status folks don't really matter to them: they pronbably by and large buy tickets with zero miles accrual or near to that.

Real problem is for credit cards. These folks must be seeing a mix of larger than usual non-renewals, and a drop in spend. As people prepare for the transition. Hence the offer to take over the miles liability. Would provide continuity for the banks, which will eventually join the Altitude program under development.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

I’m with @Transpacificflyer

already well underway with plenty OW & SKY flying this year.

Wake up AC, my spend way down but not my flying overall
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Hellfire

$195.76/30,000 = 0.65% return (Assuming you $1 spend = 1 aeroplan point).
Or 1 mile = $0.0065
That's basically no different from an AC economy redemption right now. The one time I did a Y redemption to LHR it came out to 0.6 cents/mile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.