Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SJC-YVR-NRT; five hour layover in YVR. Which lounge would you recommend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SJC-YVR-NRT; five hour layover in YVR. Which lounge would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

I have never flown through Canada.

When I fly internationally to the US, my GE number is on my ticket. I have never had any issues flying into the US with my GE number on my ticket.

Since this is a new country for me, I thought I would ask the experts.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Just be careful which path you follow after deplaning from SJC. While it's easy to make a US to International transfer from your flights, it would not be so easy to get out of the International departures area to "Canada" landside, which is where the Fairmont is.
If a person is arriving from the US (or any other country) and wishes to visit the Fairmont, they would simply exit out the arrival hall, ascend one level (emerging at the Jade Canoe sculpture) and walk past the US check-in counters to the Fairmont escalators. Grand total transit time on foot: about 2-3 minutes.

I'm a big fan of venturing out of the airport and visiting the city centre or Richmond, but understand if you feel a bit nervous doing so. The Richmond food scene suggestion is a great one - although I suspect your time of day might not allow all the best options (ie: night market). So yes, visit the Fairmont, pamper thyself, and stroll down the concourse to the Intl departure security line no sooner than an hour before your departure time. They have the CATSA Plus lines installed, which are fast, and you'll probably have access to priority screening. In my mind, a spa or lounge at the Fairmont is infinitely more comfortable than any of the MLLs available.
DrinkingCoffee likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by DrinkingCoffee

And you came to this Forum, thanks for compliment to all who post, but hardly deserving, at least for me.

have a great time in Tokyo
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: *$ Green

When I fly internationally to the US, my GE number is on my ticket. I have never had any issues flying into the US with my GE number on my ticket.

Security in Canada you have to show your physical card.
DrinkingCoffee likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Definitely, definitely get the train into the city. It's really easy - there's only one train and it only goes in one direction. You can use a credit card (visa/mastercard) to tap on and off so you don't even need to buy a ticket. Hop off the train at Yaletown, City Centre or Waterfront stations and wander around for a few hours. Vancouver's a beautiful city with amazing scenery. It'll also make a huge difference to your jetlag to go outside for a while!
The train goes straight back to the airport (every second train goes to the airport on the way back; destination is labelled as "YVR airport", so you can't miss it!) and it takes ~30mins each way. You can do a solid 2 hours downtown (maybe more if you disembark quickly) without any risk to your connection.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

It isn’t about the GE part - you don’t need a card for that. It is to gain admittance to the Nexus expedited line for security screening (CATSA). To even get into that line, you must show a Nexus or GE card. They won’t let you in that line without showing the card, even if your boarding pass shows PreCheck or a number or whatever. So bring your GE card.
skybluesea and DrinkingCoffee like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Finkface
It isn’t about the GE part - you don’t need a card for that. It is to gain admittance to the Nexus expedited line for security screening (CATSA). To even get into that line, you must show a Nexus or GE card. They won’t let you in that line without showing the card, even if your boarding pass shows PreCheck or a number or whatever. So bring your GE card.
That happened to me last month in YVR. Never had to bring my GE card until I was told I couldn't get into the expedited line without my GE card. Now I just carry it wherever I go.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
That happened to me last month in YVR. Never had to bring my GE card until I was told I couldn't get into the expedited line without my GE card. Now I just carry it wherever I go.
Thank you! GE card is now packed!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Well a few updates. Getting to the Fairmont hotel was a breeze. Thank you everyone! Unfortunately they did not have any availabilities for a massage or even a manicure or pedicure until this afternoon, and my flight boards around 12:40. I did spend about an hour in the lounge area, and I did take a walk outside the terminal (although there were many smokers hanging out!). I was not able to go into the domestic terminals (it looks like there are a few spa options in the domestic terminals).

So I am hanging out in the Maple Lounge for now.

Thanks again everyone! You definitely helped lessen my anxiety for this adventure!
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. Air NZ Elite
For my last long international layover, I went to the Fairmont and did their Gym special, It was $35 for access and included gym gear and shoes as well. The fitnesss centre was very nice and the gym clothes were brand new and nice quality. I spent about 3 hours there although didn’t try out the pool. The showers were great though after working out. I then headed to the lounge to see what they had for food but I had dinner in another restaurant as there weren’t any good gluten free options in the lounge when I was there. Did spend about an hour after dinner though having an drink watching the sunset.

For my layover today I got in around 7:30 and had about 7 hours. So I made the choice to go walk around the waterfront area and have brunch in the city. Great choice to do if you have time. The train ride there was very easy and it was nice to get my 5k walk in outside as opposed to in a gym. Sitting in the transborder lounge right now. Very happy with both of my long layovers in Vancouver and if I ever fly through again for international I will do the same things again.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Well a few updates. Getting to the Fairmont hotel was a breeze. Thank you everyone! Unfortunately they did not have any availabilities for a massage or even a manicure or pedicure until this afternoon, and my flight boards around 12:40. I did spend about an hour in the lounge area, and I did take a walk outside the terminal (although there were many smokers hanging out!). I was not able to go into the domestic terminals (it looks like there are a few spa options in the domestic terminals).

So I am hanging out in the Maple Lounge for now.

Thanks again everyone! You definitely helped lessen my anxiety for this adventure!
byw...not sure in anyone mentioned, but crew will come around later with basket of goodies, including Kit-Kat bars which is s real hit on this Forum.

great travels,
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ThatCOprep
For my last long international layover, I went to the Fairmont and did their Gym special, It was $35 for access and included gym gear and shoes as well. The fitnesss centre was very nice and the gym clothes were brand new and nice quality. I spent about 3 hours there although didn’t try out the pool. The showers were great though after working out. I then headed to the lounge to see what they had for food but I had dinner in another restaurant as there weren’t any good gluten free options in the lounge when I was there. Did spend about an hour after dinner though having an drink watching the sunset.

For my layover today I got in around 7:30 and had about 7 hours. So I made the choice to go walk around the waterfront area and have brunch in the city. Great choice to do if you have time. The train ride there was very easy and it was nice to get my 5k walk in outside as opposed to in a gym. Sitting in the transborder lounge right now. Very happy with both of my long layovers in Vancouver and if I ever fly through again for international I will do the same things again.
And it is an absolutely spectacular day here today. I can’t think of many things better than a walk on the Seawall on a day like today.
ThatCOprep likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Finkface
And it is an absolutely spectacular day here today. I can’t think of many things better than a walk on the Seawall on a day like today.
Spectacular day today. Glad I went down there. Watched the sea planes for about an hour and it was fantastic.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by j2simpso
For many frequent flyers the lack of working wifi and live TV at 40,000 ft is a rare blessing to be unplugged from all the chaos, turmoil and stress on the ground! Do you really want to be getting notifications from the NYT reporting the latest episode of Trump Says the Darnedest Things?
It's 2018. Let people make that choice for themselves. Some of us require wi-fi for flying. There's also a reason why many carriers are retrofitting for it. If you want to be "unplugged" then turn off your phone.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

You GE number on the boarding pass = TSA Pre.

The GE card is for specific use on transborder crossing (Canada, Mexico).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.